• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for mount with windage/elevation adjustments to co-align LRF with a spotting scope

snoopyloopy

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2020
The only two options I've found is this for $1000+
Ashbury Precision Ordnance Electro-Optical Rail Grabber Mount w/Azimuth and Elevation Adjustment
https://www.solidsolutiondesigns.co...ation-adjustment-081-03v-0001-00-color-black/

and this for $39
Orion 7033 Precision Slow-Motion Adapter

Can anyone point me in the direction of other options?
Note I do not want to use a ball head for this. I'm specifically looking for something that has windage/elevation dials.
I should add that my budget is max about $300 for this.

Thanks much!

Are people here just not interested in co-aligning their LRF with their spotting scope?

geared head or lots of cheaper telescopes come with a tripod and slo-motion adapter, so there might be other options to the Orion.

Are people here just not interested in co-aligning their LRF with their spotting scope?
i have heard this before, but really i just use the adapter because it is easier to scan across objects to range them than using the ball head.

Reactions: snoopyloopy
IMG_20200625_155816.jpg

This is what folks are using in my neck of the desert.

Hi seansmd, I recognize the Abel Table, that looks good.

As for the rest of it, I know RRS is great in general but wouldn't you rather have something with windage and elevation adjustments rather than a tripod ball head so you can get your LRF and spotting scope and whatever else easily in sync? I dunno I'm no expert but IMHO a ball head just seems like the wrong solution for this particular application. But I do see a lot of setups like yours so maybe you know something I don't.

i have heard this before, but really i just use the adapter because it is easier to scan across objects to range them than using the ball head.

Maybe this is a dumb question but when you say "the adapter" which adapter are you referring to? Do you mean some kind of slo-motion adapter? If so which one do you use?

On the left and right side there are independent ball heads that can be adjusted to colocate, and if you use the center you have the ball head of the tripod itself. I mount my binos on one side and use the main adjustment if the tripod then he the lrf in the other ball head to co-locate to the bino. Maybe I'm missing your use case.
Edit I see your note above not wanting ball head, sorry.

Last edited:
Maybe this is a dumb question but when you say "the adapter" which adapter are you referring to? Do you mean some kind of slo-motion adapter? If so which one do you use?
i use the orion adapter. it isn't as slow as a fine geared head, which is fine with me.
you can find similar like this.

or get a free telescope with this, lol.

i am one of the poors, so i try to save money where i can so i can justify buying an RRS tripod and not compromising on things that might matter more.
so instead of a $200+ geared head, i use the orion and take $160 off the RRS. :)

if you didn't see my other post, here is how much it moves with 1/2 turn at 20x through a spotting scope. the tree is 223 yards away.
if your RF is 10x, obviously it would move about 1/2 as fast (at the same distance).

i use the orion adapter. it isn't as slow as a fine geared head, which is fine with me.
you can find similar like this.
i am one of the poors, so i try to save money where i can so i can justify buying an RRS tripod and not compromising on things that might matter more.
so instead of a $200+ geared head, i use the orion and take $160 off the RRS. :)
if you didn't see my other post, here is how much it moves with 1/2 turn at 20x through a spotting scope. the tree is 223 yards away.
if your RF is 10x, obviously it would move about 1/2 as fast (at the same distance).
Really appreciate that info, very helpful. Thank you.

Reactions: theLBC
This is an old thread I started a couple years ago, but just in case anyone is interested, I FINALLY found a mount under $300 that will co-witness a rangefinder with a rifescope or a spotting scope, it's called the Sightlok RF-1.

I have a couple of these and have been testing them for the last week or so. They seem to be pretty durable, they hold almost any consumer-grade rangefinder like a Leica, Leupold, or Sig Sauer pretty securely. Due to the limited amount of space in the clamp, it's not going to work for a large Vectronix military rangefinder.

Attachments

• Sightlok-RF1.jpg
    Sightlok-RF1.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 13
  • sightlok-RF1-LE032.jpg
    sightlok-RF1-LE032.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 14
The simple solution is to use an L bracket. Place a QD pad on the short leg for the spotter, then another on the long leg for the LRF. I set my Vector 21 up like this. The QD pads let you set the vertical alignment up with one device and the horizontal on the other. Stays pretty solid, I just clip in and do a quick check at distance to see the pads did not twist.

IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG

Hi Cory, that's an awesome solution.

Depending on the application, one advantage of the Sightlok RF-1 versus an L bracket is, similar to the Ashbury Rail Grabber, there are windage/elevation/azimuth adjustments on the mount itself.

My personal experience is that when co-witnessing electro-optics, fine tuning may be needed. Maybe not a concern with a spotting scope but absolutely with a riflescope.

If it's being rifle mounted, you really want a true WMLRF, like the Vortex or RAPTAR. The standard commercial handheld units are not recoil hardened, you'll likely kill it pretty quick.

Yes that was a concern of mine as well. Originally wanted to try and pick up a used SilencerCo Radius but in this case, I wanted to turn my Sig BDX scope into a poor man's clone of the NGSW-FC or whatever it's called (rangefinding scope) which requires using a Sig BDX rangefinder.

Maybe I've just been lucky but so far both my Sig KILO2400BDX and Sig KILO1800BDX have survived the recoil (.308).

A larger caliber might very likely be a different story.