• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Looking for my first rifle

ethan619

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2011
As the title says, I'm looking to purchase my first rifle. I am relatively new to long guns and know very little about them so I'm hoping for a lot of input. I would like to use the rifle for target shooting, roughly 100-300 yards. Any ideas on what I should look into? Or where a good resource can be found? I've been looking at the AR-10 and it seems the rifle has a lot of good reviews. Any insight would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Looking for my first rifle

First thing to establish is what kind of budget you have for the rifle and optic.

Without knowing that, we can't really point you in any given direction.

AR10 is a great choice if you'd like to shoot 308. An AR15 might server you better at those ranges since 223/5.56 Ammo will be much cheaper.

I would like to spend roughly 1.5-2k on the rifle itself. As for the glass, I really don't know. What would be a good beginning scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eyecon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to spend roughly 1.5-2k on the rifle itself. As for the glass, I really don't know. What would be a good beginning scope?</div></div>

If you're okay with getting an AR-15, I'd pick up something like an LMT and put an <span style="text-decoration: line-through">SWFA SS</span> Vortex Viper on it and you could do it all for little more than $2000.

LMT AR-15
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=265216664

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50
http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x50-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13287.aspx

Thanks for the input KillShot. By chance do you know of any references, whether it be a book or an eBook, that could inform the uninformed about rifle shooting. Something along the line of the difference in calibers, shooting stances, effects on a shot (weather), etc.?

If you have the money, subscribe to the online video lessons provided here on the Hide or pick up the next round of Magpul: Art of The Precision Rifle. They will provide invaluable information that will help you but the best thing you can do is get behind the rifle and get as much trigger time as you can afford.

Awesome.. Any book references? Also, I looked up scopes and I am absolutely amazed on the price. Some are more then the rifle itself! The wife is going to be pissed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eyecon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome.. Any book references? Also, I looked up scopes and I am absolutely amazed on the price. Some are more then the rifle itself! The wife is going to be pissed.</div></div>

HA HA HA HA! Yeah, you might wanna invest in a new sofa, particularly one that has a bed because you may be spending a few nights on it.

No need to break the bank starting out though.

As for book references, I think you could possibly learn more off of this website than you will ever possibly learn from any amount of books you could find.

Within this forum you will find retired and current military, law enforcement, and long range shooters who have probably already addressed/answered any question you might have.

If you haven't found the answer your looking for, feel free to post your question in the particular forum it pertains to i.e. reloading, bolt action, semi-auto, etc.

Nothing wrong with getting good equipment right off the bat, probably cheaper in the long run, but if you're new to centerfire rifle, and it sounds like you are, don't plan to hunt big game, and will be shooting primarily inside 300yds a .223/5.56 AR15 would be the way to go, plenty accurate (beyond 300 even), same function, same fundamentals, lower cost ammunition and more rifle options.

Take the $1500 and attend a week-long precision rifle course. Borrow a rifle to take the course. When you're done you will have an idea about what rifle you want and why, and what kind of target shooting you want to do.

No, there is nothing wrong with buying the best right off the bat. Hell, my first rifle that I purchased was a POF-P308-MRR-20-SPR. It's certainly. Cheaper if you 'buy once, cry once' rather than buy something other than what you really want only to sell it for a loss later so you can get what you initially wanted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take the $1500 and attend a week-long precision rifle course. Borrow a rifle to take the course. When you're done you will have an idea about what rifle you want and why, and what kind of target shooting you want to do.</div></div>

Yeah, and then start building your rifle fund all over again because you just blew your entire wad on a $1500 precision rifle course without having your own rifle. LoL

It makes more sense, in my opinion, to pick a rifle you think you'll like and do good with and get some trigger time behind it. If you decide you'd rather have a bolt or semi-auto, you can sell or trade your rig for the other platform.

After you get your rifle, get a subscription to the training on here and it will help you considerably until you can afford the $1500 precision course.

I really like the SDM/R Mk12 config of the AR-15. I dont even take my .30 cals out unless I'm shooting past 500 yards anymore.

I've got a model1sales.com 20" stainless fluted upper with miculek comp and clark carbon fiber handgaurd on that I put a 16x super sniper on, and it's and damned blast to shoot.

You wont believe me if I tell you it's 1/2 MOA gun with Bronze Bear 62 JHP, and that I've rang steel with it at 750 yards, so I wont bother elaborating. But here is a pic of the finished product.

I have less than $1500 in the entire rig.

dsc0393oz2.jpg

I agree with KILLSHOT, get the rifle you want and go shoot. Get with some experienced shooters in your area and shoot. Trigger time is the best way to learn. Good luck and have fun doing it.

+1 on what Killshot posted. Buy once cry once... my rifle is exactly what I wanted. Nothing less... Meow I just have to go shoot the shit out of it.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take the $1500 and attend a week-long precision rifle course. Borrow a rifle to take the course. When you're done you will have an idea about what rifle you want and why, and what kind of target shooting you want to do.</div></div>Yeah, and then start building your rifle fund all over again because you just blew your entire wad on a $1500 precision rifle course without having your own rifle. LoL</div></div>Good point. I didn't think of that.
laugh.gif

Graham: It could be worse. He could come down to Rifles Only, and use Jacob's AW for the course. Then he'd have to go buy an AW, and he'd be out 7 grand. And he wouldn't own a scope...
laugh.gif

How about a .22LR trainer for your first rifle. If you're target shooting at ranges between 100 - 300 yds, the .22LR will give you awesome experience for MUCH less money.

Might not be as sexy as an AR-10, but you'll learn how to read the wind and make adjustments.

And the money you save on ammo can be applied to a new rifle fund...so by the time you're hitting targets at 200 yds with your .22 you'll have the money to get your AR-10.

Of all the rifles I own, my .22 gets the most use.

First rifle.. bolt .22. Second bolt .223 or .308. Third semi .223. Fourth semi .308.

That being said you can get whatever you want, but it takes quite a bit of extra skill to shoot a semi .308 over all the others. So it's not the best starting platform, but many have done so. Also, the ammo cost quite a bit more and would possibly limit your amount of trigger time. Proper technique and trigger time is the key to be good with any platform. Learn the fundimentals on a bolt then move to semi would be my suggestions. Everyone needs a great little .22 bolt. If you are bent on a semi, get a .22 trainer upper/rifle to go with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First rifle.. bolt .22. Second bolt .223 or .308. Third semi .223. Fourth semi .308.

That being said you can get whatever you want, but it takes quite a bit of extra skill to shoot a semi .308 over all the others. So it's not the best starting platform, but many have done so. Also, the ammo cost quite a bit more and would possibly limit your amount of trigger time. Proper technique and trigger time is the key to be good with any platform. Learn the fundimentals on a bolt then move to semi would be my suggestions. Everyone needs a great little .22 bolt. If you are bent on a semi, get a .22 trainer upper/rifle to go with it. </div></div>

I really like this idea. Anyone have any thoughts on a .22 bolt action rifle? Or a reliable / credible website to go through?

CZ or Savage. Generally, the Savage is a little less expensive, a little more cheaply made, and a touch less accurate.

You probably won't win a bench rest competition with the Savage, but...

I own a Savage and it's plenty accurate for training purposes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CZ or Savage. Generally, the Savage is a little less expensive, a little more cheaply made, and a touch less accurate.

I own a Savage and it's plenty accurate for training purposes. </div></div>

What caliber are you talking about here?

With semi-s, particularly AR10 platforms, you're looking at a very expensive investment for a rifle that is capable of much more than what you want it for. I would recommend that you not go this route.

If it;s target shooting and it's only 300 yards, a BR would be perfect and in the suggested calibers above, inexpensive to learn how to shoot long guns. THEN...go explore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick Just Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With semi-s, particularly AR10 platforms, you're looking at a very expensive investment for a rifle that is capable of much more than what you want it for. I would recommend that you not go this route.

If it;s target shooting and it's only 300 yards, a BR would be perfect and in the suggested calibers above, inexpensive to learn how to shoot long guns. THEN...go explore.</div></div>

Not completely sure I can agree with this. You can pick up a DPMS LR 308 for around a grand, and have a hard time finding a bolt gun that will out shoot it for that price.

Eyecon, I would go with a 5.56/.223 first. You can add the .308 later. $2k will get you in a nice rig for sure. I would plan on spending as much on the scope as you spend on the gun. $1k on the gun and 1k on the scope. Gunbroker is a great place to find these guns/scopes as well. After you get started you can look into upgrading your trigger. I was in the same situation as you about 6 months ago. I really got the bug and have bought 3 rifles in this time frame (2 AR-15's and 1 AR-10). I agree with the earlier posters that say to find some friends on the range that know how to shoot. My shooting partners are very knowledgeable and have helped me tremendously. Also, some friendly competition amongst friends can help make everyone a better shooter.

+2 on the .223. Future plans would also help a our intentions seem to always transform. You mentioned an "AR-10". I re-entered the semi-auto world with a DPMS .308 sportical as I picked it up really cheap. I enjoyed shooting it, but I did not enjoy semi-auto 7.62 ammo prices. I now shoot a .223 and enjoy ammo prices much more. Any 3-gun in the future?? You may find yourself transforming rapidly and wish you had a .223 or 6.8. There are probably some AR forums you should check out. I chimed in because I wish I had bought a .223 or 6.8 as I really had no need for a 7.62 semi-auto especially only out to 300 meters. As to the "right gun" your choices are almost endless. AR's can be a lot of fun in a variety of arenas especially 3 guns.

Blessings.

It's definately tempting to burn through a lot of cash at the range w/ an AR10. And at 300yds, you're really not getting your money's worth. So I'd agree w/ those that suggest going for a nice 223 rig. And that price range will definitely have some excellent options to choose from. Just keep in mind that your money will probably not go as far in a LGS as it will go online. They like getting the $40-$50 transfer fee anyway.

I never even take my larger bore bolt-guns out of the safe anymore unless I'm shooting past 600 yards.. it's just a waste of time and money; at least for me. .223 w/62grn wolf is a lot of fun out to that distance.

Ain't nothing wrong with getting a 5.56 first, IMO. Optics and red dots are great and all, but you don't NEED one of those either, for it to be a serviceable weapon. For that amount of money though, you could get yourself a very nice AR platform, some kind of EOTech, ACOG or Aimpoint CCO and some ammo even. I myself like the POF rifles, but thats just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CZ or Savage. Generally, the Savage is a little less expensive, a little more cheaply made, and a touch less accurate.

I own a Savage and it's plenty accurate for training purposes. </div></div>

What caliber are you talking about here? </div></div>

.22LR...still my recommendation for a 1st rifle.

Well Im a firm believer is buying the right thing the first time and being done with it. I have a bolt action 308 and a 556 M4.

I have a daniels defense DDM4. This is a sweet rig out of the box for around 1300 bucks. I threw an aimpoint on it and I love it. It has a great rail system that will give you a ton of mounting options.