• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking for powder charge for Hornady 68gr match

p5200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
poplar bluff mo.
I have Varget, BLC-2, RELOADER 10, H-322, and Benchmark powders does anyone know of any good and safe min-max charge ranges for any of these bullet/powder combinations. I'm looking more for accuracy than velocity. The rifle I will be loading for is a Savage 10fp .223 1:9" twist barrel. I thought about starting around 23 or 24 grains of Varget but, thought maybe someone here has already had experience loading this particular bullet and I want to be safe. Thanks for all advice.
smile.gif

Re: looking for powder charge for Hornady 68gr match

Hornady 68 grain HPBT match bullet
Winchester case
Hodgon H322 - 21.9 grains
CCI Small Rifle primer - Standard or Benchrest

I've wrote that down and will give it a try. Any idea what the min-max charges might be? Thanks!
smile.gif

Just use the data found here:

Hodgdon Reloading center

Although they do not have data for the 68 grain Hornady, the data for the 69 Sierra works just fine. Start at the bottom and work up.

p5200, how long is the barrel on your Savage? Also, what is the COAL that you can fit in the magazine with the Savage?

Hornady book lists h322 21.6 2500fps to 23 2700fps
varget 22.7 2500 to 24.9 2800
blc2 22.9 2500 to 25.6 2800
Those are the only powders listed that you mentioned you had...hope that gives you a start.
Cheers, Luke

I run 23Gr of varget behind a 68Gr hornady on my savage 10PC (1:9 20inch) and have had great results.