• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Looking for smith - Win 1894

Huzzad

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
California, USA
hi all. I am wondering if anyone knows of a reputable smith that can go over this Winchester 1894 25-35 rifle I received from my father who received it from his father and such. It is currently in working condition, but the safety is out on it, and in my opinion the action seems 'loose'. I am a little apprehensive on sending the rifle out of my town, let alone out of my state. But I would much rather have it looked over, torn down(if needs be) and have the parts treated with someone that has experience with it, instead of the local smiths I have here that deal with mainly duck hunting firearms.. A smith in Cali would be preferable then anywhere else in the Country, but I'll take what I can get.

Re: Looking for smith - Win 1894

I think my Smith was born that year (bwaaaaaahhh)... he's in York Pennsylvania and is experienced with the old school guns. Send me a PM with the info and I'll talk to him this week.

check out leverguns online forum. They can help

Just a note of caution, take as many photos of your gun as possible before you send it anywhere. There are some great smiths and restorers out there, there are also some that are more interested in making one of their own rifles perfect even if it means borrowing a part off of yours and replacing with a non-original, non-matching etc... This is an issue with older collectibles, just use caution.

Kris

Where abouts in CA are you? My shop is in Marina, we get quite a few older family guns come through for general checkups and cleanings. More and more we have family guns coming through, which since they're direct link to family members we treat them like our own