• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Looking for some 4" 1911 advise

TKellogg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2011
South West Michigan
I'm thinking about selling or trading my kimber compact cdp I and getting a sig scorpion carry. I like the 4" barrel but I want something I can attach a light to. Is the sig on the same lvl as the kimber or should I try a get a kimber pro tle/rl?

Re: Looking for some 4" 1911 advise

I think Sigs are consistent in their production, Kimber is not. I would go with the Sig every time over a Kimber.

I had on original Kimber Compact and it was great. Can't speak to the newer Kimbers or Sigs 1911s. That being said I have a 20yr old Sig 226 I'd trust my life to any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I've been carrying a Kimber CDP II for several years now, Love the gun. It has never let me down and has needed only a recoil spring and standard maintenance. Kimber however in my opinion has lousy customer service.
All in all, both quality guns, get the one you will shoot, carry, and train with the most.

Good luck
Robb

After looking around I'm torn between the Sig and a Springfield champion operator. I've decided I want one with a bushing so I can had a threaded 5" barrel.

Well, the Springfield has a bull barrel, so that is going to pretty much eliminate it, though I like the Springfield more than the Sig. That said, I really wish Sig would just follow the freakin traditional lines.

Anyone know if the Sig 1911s have a firing pin safety in them?

<span style="font-style: italic">edit: oops, looks like Jarvis has them. Anyone have any experience with Jarvis?</span>

Well, the more I look at the sig the less I like the FDE. So I'm looking at kimber and springfield. Being able to add a threaded barrel isn't a huge deal.

Sig 1911's are series 80, so yes, they do have a firing pin safety. There is nothing wrong with series 80 safety, I think it is the best firing pin safety out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Para38super</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sig 1911's are series 80, so yes, they do have a firing pin safety. There is nothing wrong with series 80 safety, I think it is the best firing pin safety out there. </div></div>

Ok, that's great. But, it adds unnecessary complexity to the system. Show me one single documented consumer experience of a 1911 going off from a firing pin strike without the sear being tripped. I see absolutely no reason to have unnecessary parts in my gun.

I agree with you, but all I am saying is that the series 80 is the best firing pin safety out there. I would prefer no firing pin safety, but a FPS does not keep me away from a certain pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I assume that by "series 80" you mean it's trigger actuated like a Colt? </div></div>

Yup, it's a Colts safety device. It is actuated by the trigger, not the grip safety(Swartz safety)...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Para38super</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I assume that by "series 80" you mean it's trigger actuated like a Colt? </div></div>

Yup, it's a Colts safety device. It is actuated by the trigger, not the grip safety(Swartz safety)... </div></div>

I figured, just wanted to be sure. God knows enough Kimbers have had issues with their Schwartz style.