• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for something different

mese341

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2013
Duluth,Mn
So here is the situation I am building a new house and going to have a 400 yard range out my reloading room window. That being said I have the bolt guns I need 223ai ,6dasher,and 6creed and have a Odin works 6.5 grendel. I was thinking about getting an M1a but people say I have to spend 3k to get a 1 inch group out of one so I was hoping you guys had some input on something under 3k that shoots 1” at 100 or better the max I shoot is out to 600

You've got the 6mm and 6.5mm cartridges covered as well as one of the best .224s. Seems like you are on the right path with an M1A. They are offered in 6.5 Creedmoor which would give you a new rifle and operating system without making you pick up reloading dies, other preparation tools and cleaning supplies. Otherwise, there is a world of 30 cal stuff to look at. 300 PRC could be fun? I got really interested in a 300 Norma a year or so ago but never acted on it.

Reactions: Rod79
Is this just for targets, or hunting as well? Bench or carry? I really like my 6.8spcII's in the AR15 platform, but if I didn't have a need to carry or use it in a treestand, I'd lean more towards the large frame AR10/LR308 platform in a caliber of your choosing. Since you already have a 6.5 Grendel, that niche is pretty well covered already. Many options to get you to 600, just a matter of what other preferences you might have. My only complaint about the large frames are the additional heft as a carry platform, but a non-issue from the bench. Never dabbled with the M1A, so nothing of value to provide there.

If you’re not emotionally attached to the M14 it’s a bad way to do what you want. An AR platform gun would be better, up to you what caliber you want. Large frame guns are more work to set up and cost more, and are harder to shoot. Small frame guns have less ass.

Vudoo 22lr. You’ll shoot it more, for less, than any rifle you own. And, you can stretch it to its capability with less than you 400 yard range. Targets are less expensive and can last longer too.

Is this just for targets, or hunting as well? Bench or carry? I really like my 6.8spcII's in the AR15 platform, but if I didn't have a need to carry or use it in a treestand, I'd lean more towards the large frame AR10/LR308 platform in a caliber of your choosing. Since you already have a 6.5 Grendel, that niche is pretty well covered already. Many options to get you to 600, just a matter of what other preferences you might have. My only complaint about the large frames are the additional heft as a carry platform, but a non-issue from the bench. Never dabbled with the M1A, so nothing of value to provide there.
For both I live 8 miles in the woods and have a permit to hunt from a standing vehicle and I can shoot out almost any window of my house and not have to worry about hitting anything all my shooting it’s going to be seated with bipod and most likely have athlon Midas tac or a sig tango 4 on it

If you’re not emotionally attached to the M14 it’s a bad way to do what you want. An AR platform gun would be better, up to you what caliber you want. Large frame guns are more work to set up and cost more, and are harder to shoot. Small frame guns have less ass.
I am not emotionally attached to any firearm lol I was just hoping so have something different than an ar platform that’s why I was looking at M1a I like the semi auto for plinking and to shoot with the guys

I am not emotionally attached to any firearm lol I was just hoping so have something different than an ar platform that’s why I was looking at M1a I like the semi auto for plinking and to shoot with the guys

Personally I love my M1a... I have the loaded model with a wood stock. Has the national match barrel, sights, and trigger. Its one of the few rifles I keep open sights on, and its a blast.

Obviously since I shoot it open sights, I'm not exactly shooting it for groups, but when I did sight it in with surplus South Korean ammo, it didn't do horrible at 100yds. I'm also not a great open sight shooter.

I plan on taking it out 300-500yds this fall and shooting steel

M1A popularity has really died out over the past 10 years, there are so many better options in the price range or less. A lot said 6mm ARc which is very promising but quite similar to 6.5 grendel. What about a nice AR10?

M1A popularity has really died out over the past 10 years, there are so many better options in the price range or less. A lot said 6mm ARc which is very promising but quite similar to 6.5 grendel. What about a nice AR10?
I thought about doing a 6gt ar10 but then it’s still an ar lol yes they do a lot of things well but once you have shot them you basically all of them am I mean you don’t change a thing! I am seriously close for 2k

I thought about doing a 6gt ar10 but then it’s still an ar lol yes they do a lot of things well but once you have shot them you basically all of them am I mean you don’t change a thing! I am seriously close for 2k
That makes complete sense, if you’re looking for more of a 308 DMR setup, anything worth getting is going to cost more than an M1A besides an AR10. Give it a try and see what you think!

I love my M1A loaded . have a small ranch out in the ozarks and the terrain is terrible very hilly with steep rocky slopes so I use the polymer stock . I would hate to beat the shit out of a nice walnut stock . I can get 1 -1.5 moa with hornady inter bond's sometimes a little less but for the most part thats where its at when shooting 100 yds . 168 grain amax and a healthy dose of varget will often print in the .75-.90 range . it's big and heavy but I just get all warm and fuzzy when I drop a deer , hog or coyote with it I know they're better options but I dont think I would be any happier .

cSEuCMm.jpg

FN SCAR 17? while it probably won't routinely print 1" groups I'd imagine a Tavor 7 would certainly be adequately accurate for north american hunting and it certainly would be different.

if your not going to post any pics of your range out side your reloading room its not real lol nope imaginary it sounds really nice but till i see the pics of it nothing explains a visual like a picture . and while I agree a 1300 yard+ range would be really really nice what about a 2mile range outside your window (y)(y) . If your going to dream dream big ..