• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Looking for suggestions (hard rifle case)

NoahbodyImportant

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2011
NE Ohio
Since I have a real nice rifle, with a real nice scope on it... looking to upgrade my current hard case.

1. Where can I find hard foam that I can cut out
2. Pelican cases seem real nice, but come with a price
3. Alternate case other than Pelican

Re: Looking for suggestions (hard rifle case)

Starlight cases are good.
You can get foam at just about any apholstery shop.

Pelican, Starlight, SKB are all good cases. I prefer the pelican just because I've had good luck with them.

If you have a real nice rifle and a real nice scope $150-200 isn't much to pay for a case that's going to protect them both.

Pelican all the way, if anything ever breaks on one it's covered, unless it's from Shark attack or children under 5, buy once cry once.

Don't trust your real nice rifle and your real nice scope to be protected in a real shitty case.......go ahead and buy a pelican.

I got the Hardigg Storm Case iM3300-- love it .. I also have the 1750. If you are looking for protection I would go with the Hardigg. Of course there may be more knowledgable folks on this forum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoahbodyImportant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheapest I found for the 1750 is $191.00.

Anybody find it for less? </div></div>

MidwayUSA has them for $199.99, but if you spend just a penny more, you can use a $20 off discount code and get the case for $179.99 + S&H. Even if you only buy the case and don't get to $200 to use the $20 off code, you can use a $10 off discount code and get the price to $189.99.

+1 for the 1750 from Pelican or similar from Starlight or otherwise.

If not for heavy duty traveling, the Plano Air Glide might be another option.

have patience and keep watching e-bay. I saw a couple go for around $150-160 plus $20 for shipping 2 weeks ago. There's one on there right now with cut outs for a AR looking weapon and a short barreled shotgun. Even if you had to buy foam, it's only at $125 right now. I like their guarentee, if it breaks, they fix it.

I just got a Storm im3300 from Optics Planet. Plug in the code and get 5% off plus free shipping.

Storm gives you 6 latches with one on each end of the case---better seal. The press and pull latches prevent inadvertant opening.

A nice option is the case lid stays. Gives you some control when the lid is open and working in a tight space. You won't bang your fingers when the lid falls down.

Why spend a bunch on rifle and optics and then cut corners on a case?

I have a Storm, several Pelicans of different sizes, and a couple Starlights.

For the money I have always done great with the Starlight, the Storm is a 3300 and works perfect for the long rifle, and the Pelicans work just as good.

Shop around and find the best deal, you can go wrong with any of the them.

I really like Americase aluminum, unless you are just set on
a plastic, or looking for the lightest weight case with good
protection... they will custom build for you also

Just purchased a Pelican 1750 with foam from Opticsplant for $207.99 includes free shipping. Sure beats Cabela's at $229.99 + tax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoahbodyImportant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheapest I found for the 1750 is $191.00.

Anybody find it for less?</div></div>

$191 from Amazon includes free shipping.

$173.44 and shipping from ProVantage.com ... going to call and see if I can pick up locally, since there main office is not far.
EDIT: Scratch that, since Im in the same state, they charge sales tax= $202.34 with shipping and tax.

Amazon still has the best price, so far.

Thanks guys, I was going to buy another Pelican 1750 from a local vendor (at a slightly higher price) but got it from Amazon instead. Treated myself to the 1 day shipping for an extra $3.99.

For thouse of you with an emailed addres that ends with .edu you can get a year of FREE amazon Prime.
Amazon Prime for free

Order #: 102-1788948-1xxxxx
Shipping Method: One-Day Shipping
Shipping Preference: I want my items faster. Ship them as they become available.
Subtotal of Items: $191.74
Shipping & Handling: $3.99
------
Total for this Order: $195.73

Delivery estimate: February 11, 2011 1 "Pelican 1750-000-110 Large Rolling Long Case"
Electronics; $191.74

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

FYI: Double check to see if the $191.74 case includes the foam. The next item down @ $226.36 includes it.

Waterproof, crush-proof and dust-proof. Easy open double throw latches. Open cell core with solid wall design - strong, lightweight. O-Ring seal. Automatic pressure equalization valve. Fold down handles. Strong polyurethane wheels with stainless steel bearings. Stainless steel hardware and padlock protectors. <span style="font-weight: bold">3-piece foam set</span>. Personalized nameplate service available. Lifetime guarantee of excellence. 50 1/2" W x 13 1/2" H x 5 1/4" D.

Ok, it is done now. I ordered the Pelican 1750 from Amazon and it should be here tomorrow.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Pelican 1750-000-110 Large Rolling Long Case</span>

Shipping Method: One-Day Shipping
Shipping Preference: I want my items faster. Ship them as they become available.
Subtotal of Items: $191.74
Shipping & Handling: $3.99
------
<span style="font-weight: bold">Total for this Order: $195.73</span>

Wish I had of seen this post earlier. Let me know if I can help.

Here's a great site for denser foam that cuts well with a sharp thin knife or a hot wire foam cutter. Amazon has the cutter for about $90.

http://www.foambymail.com

If you take the time you can make professional looking inserts for your case.

I use the denser foam to contain the firearms and accessories in combination with the softer factory foam in lid and bottom of case.

I have used this combination to make very nice fitted cases for a few of my clients.

I personally like the Hardigg Storm cases over the Pelican, but both have great features and I would trust my AI rifles to either.

i made my own hot wire cutter for free with junk i had laying around my shop. used a 3'x3' piece of mdf. drilled a hole in the center and built the arm to extend out over it. i drilled a hole in the end of the arm for the wire to go through. i took some .030 welding wire and twisted about 1" of it around a 2" machine screw then ran the wire through both holes, the arm and the base. on the underside i made another loop at the end of the wire and hooked a spring to it. i ran the spring from the wire to the edge of the base so that i could connect the power supply to it and keep tension on the wire as i am cutting. i made some short legs to elevate it enough to clear the spring. for power supply i used my shop battery charger set on the lowest setting. 2amps. it worked very well, but i think using .023 wire would be better. i dont know for sure since i have not tried it to see.

for making the cutting templates i simply traced the outline of my parts, rifle, bolt, accessories, etc out on some thick poster board. then i cut it out with scissors, but i made my cuts 1/8" inside the line i traced. this ensured a nice tight fit when the cuts were made. its easy enough to trim the foam if its too tight, but looks kinda janky if you have to throw some extra pieces in there to keep it tight. i just pinned the template to the foam with long push pins or or tailors pins. when cutting just keep an even pace, if you go too slow it will try to burn through the poster, but the cutter works fast enough that if you keep moving it just smooths the edges as you go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: offroadr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i made my own hot wire cutter for free with junk i had laying around my shop. used a 3'x3' piece of mdf. drilled a hole in the center and built the arm to extend out over it. i drilled a hole in the end of the arm for the wire to go through. i took some .030 welding wire and twisted about 1" of it around a 2" machine screw then ran the wire through both holes, the arm and the base. on the underside i made another loop at the end of the wire and hooked a spring to it. i ran the spring from the wire to the edge of the base so that i could connect the power supply to it and keep tension on the wire as i am cutting. i made some short legs to elevate it enough to clear the spring. for power supply i used my shop battery charger set on the lowest setting. 2amps. it worked very well, but i think using .023 wire would be better. i dont know for sure since i have not tried it to see.

for making the cutting templates i simply traced the outline of my parts, rifle, bolt, accessories, etc out on some thick poster board. then i cut it out with scissors, but i made my cuts 1/8" inside the line i traced. this ensured a nice tight fit when the cuts were made. its easy enough to trim the foam if its too tight, but looks kinda janky if you have to throw some extra pieces in there to keep it tight. i just pinned the template to the foam with long push pins or or tailors pins. when cutting just keep an even pace, if you go too slow it will try to burn through the poster, but the cutter works fast enough that if you keep moving it just smooths the edges as you go. </div></div> Did you use the high density foam or the standard? Pics please, I have been thinking about using a cutter on my next piece of foam to get that factory fit.

my case came with the high density foam. ill try to round some pics up. the device is crude at best, but worked very well. normally the hardest part would be the power supply, but the battery charger worked great as well. if i wanted to spend the time and money gathering parts at a hardware store i could have made a much nicer unit. also i was considering using a model train power supply for it so there could be some adjustment.

Pelicans are good cases, no doubt. But our new latch system is hard to beat.
I'll find a larger pic.

latchlocks.jpg

Patented Latch-Locks
• Stainless Steel Spring
• Loaded Pins
• Latch will not open unless engaged
• Easy open, Two finger operation