• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for the most accurate 18" 223 Wylde chambered barrel.

Willie Miller V

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2013
What's everyone's opinion on the most accurate 18" ar barrel 1-7" twist chambered in 223 Wylde under $300?

AR Performance, Larue, and especially Lothar Walther in your price range.

Well, the price of barrels has come down. In fact, LaRue was ahead of the pack on this, lowering quality barrel prices a year back. Jake suggests White Oak. Good choice. Potts suggest LaRue. Good choice. I do not know AR Performance, so I have to nix that. Lothar is a good choice. I did not realize their barrels were under $300. I think you can get a deal on Criterion at CLE or maybe Lilja.

Not to hijack but anybody have experience with an Aero Precision 18" .223 Wylde barrel? Going to order a complete 18" wylde upper from them.

Check brownells. They have a sale on them righh now

Link, my man. I don't see it.

It was announced via email:

[h=2]What's a pirates favorite barrel?[/h] Why of course, the White Oak
SP-AARRRGH barrel!!!

Shiver me timbers, September 19[SUP]th[/SUP] is International Talk Like A Pirate Day and we have slashed the prices on SPR barrels for ONE DAY ONLY!

On Tuesday the 19th SPR barrels will be just $195!
ORDER LIKE A PIRATE -- just call White Oak Aaarrrrmament and ask for the SP-AARRRR barrel in your best pirate voice! (If ordering online use code AARRR17.)

Cut rifle is my preference but it can be costly. Satern made my best barrel, a no shit .33MOA Grendel 20". But I waited years for it and only got it because they called me saying they had some that were close to my specs. Getting a one off custom barrel from them is practically impossible and can take years before you or them give up. IF they have one available that meets your specs, then get it. They make extras when they do larger runs and you can get deals if you check their site regularly. All sorts of barrels too. Some big places like Midway or Brownells will carry Satern barrels also. You want their cut rifle, they make a lower grade button rifle (Liberty barrels?) but you can do better for button rifle barrels IMO. You can't do better for cut rifles through, again IMO. I consider myself lucky finding a new cut rifle Satern that meets my specs., I don't bother with custom cuts anymore and I don't know why they do either because they never come through. So look for barrels already made that meet your specs, just have to search. OR go through another cut rifle maker, up to you. Most of them are excellent.

For buttons, the company needs to change the buttons often and needs to have quality buttons to begin with. They are very expensive to make. A barrel cut early on the button's life can be of higher quality than one cut at it's end. Lilja is a great button rifle barrel maker, one of the best. When Seals or whoever the fuck decided the 18" SPR wasn't good enough, they had a custom rifle made, the "recce rifle", and they settled on a particular profile SS Lilja 16" .223 Wylde chambered button rifled barrel. It's nice, I wish I could tell you more about it but honestly I haven't even shot it other than a function test. I can say ammo has to be sized right and loaded to proper length or chambering issues occur, like any other but this one is tighter; this in respect to handloads though, factory 5.56 ammo works fine in it. But I do expect good things from that barrel after break-in.

Noveske makes damn fine barrels that can take some abuse too. They haven't been sub-moa, but they've never really been more than a hair over 1moa either for most of the ones I have; they also probably make the best chrome lined barrels you can get too. I don't have any Wylde chambered Noveske barrels, even if they make them --it's an 11.5" 5.56, and it shoots almost as good as some of the higher end SS barrels.

Some make hammer forged and some of those are actually very good barrels.

It's a debate as to which is better still, but I lean towards quality cut rifle myself and knowing how Satern does it makes them highly desirable despite poor CS. I went with the 16" "recce" barrel from Lilja only because I figure the Navy probably tried hundreds of barrels before setting on that particular one --figure if it's good enough for them as a "sniper M4" barrel, then it's good enough for me. It's actually closer to 17" I understand (know you wanted an 18") but sorry, never measured mine.

Good luck with your rifle! Barrel is easily the most important part of any AR, especially wrt accuracy.

Thanks for the heads up on the White Oak SPR sale.

Fantastic barrels that love either 77 gr. Black Hills 5.56mm or 75 gr. Black Hills .223 (one or the other not both for some reason). I don't have a build going right now, but bought one anyway to put in the parts collection..

trying to get a white oak barrel while it is on sale.
should I get 1:7 or 1:8?
Will plink 55 gr PMC a lot but also will hand load with heavy bullet like 69, 75, 77 up to 80 gr for occasional > 500 yard shooting

I use 1:7 exclusively. because of the way they shoot the 77gr. Rifle Gas. YMMV

Last edited:
is 1:8 better?
I kept hearing ppl say if I want to use the heavy bullet I need the 1:7 twist.

To each his own I guess, but I just took a 1/7 barrel off to go back to 1/8. 1/8 will shoot anything from 55-80 grains well, while I had a hard time shooting 55's accurately with 1/7.

So far I have been disappointed with my WOA barrel, could not get the 68gr Hornadys to shoot with multiple powders.

Trying 77gr SMKs so maybe that will change.

​​​​​Just wanted to throw it out there since I was asking the same question as you a few months back and went with WOA.

So far I have been disappointed with my WOA barrel, could not get the 68gr Hornadys to shoot with multiple powders.
I've tried the 68's in 4 barrels from different manufacturers and never got them to shoot with any progressive press friendly powders. No one I know has either. I wouldn't judge any barrel on it's performance with a known inferior bullet.

I've tried the 68's in 4 barrels from different manufacturers and never got them to shoot with any progressive press friendly powders. No one I know has either. I wouldn't judge any barrel on it's performance with a known inferior bullet.

I got them to shoot in my last barrel (Lilja). "Known inferior" is a bit of an exaggeration from my standpoint as well. Looking at them, I'm curious as to how you came to that opinion.
​​​​

I mean, what's disappointing about it? I've seen multiple WOA hammer 77gr SMKs as mentioned above, but they weren't particularly disappointing otherwise - unless your expectations are too high?

I got them to shoot in my last barrel (Lilja). "Known inferior" is a bit of an exaggeration from my standpoint as well. Looking at them, I'm curious as to how you came to that opinion.
​​​​

When I couldn't get them to shoot I did a lot of reading of other peoples experience with them. "Inferior" and "shotgun patterns" were commonly used to describe them. Also note that their popularity is nowhere near the 69 smk despite having a higher BC and way lower price. I'm glad they shoot for you, but that doesn't seem to be very common.

I think they certainly are one of those bullets that barrels either love or hate. With the 1:7 twist and reported quality of the WOA barrel I thought they would be a match like my previous one.

​​​​​​Perhaps a poor benchmark for barrel performance, but still relevant information for the OP as he decides what to build and what he wants to shoot.

I honestly never heard anyone even shooting the 68's..lol but that's just me. .If money is an issue why not shoot the Hornady 75 BTHP? Higher BC's, virtually the same price, $0.30 per 100 difference and shoot well in every darn AR I've tested.

Trying 77gr SMKs so maybe that will change.

​​​​​Just wanted to throw it out there since I was asking the same question as you a few months back and went with WOA.

In my experience the hornandy 68's are not in the same league as 69 smk's.

For accuracy if I can't get 69 smk's to shoot something is up.

The hornandy 75 bthp are pretty decent though.

I just got back from breaking in my new 20" Compass Lake Bartlein 5R with 25rds...Zero load developments, just put 23.6g 8208 in 1xLC brass, 205's with cheap 77cc at 2.26. Not even gonna post groups, you wouldn't believe them if I did. I'll post up a 6x5 after I get 100rd down it and complete the CL break in process. Chatted with Frank for an hour the other day about the barrel, his recommended cleaning/break in procedure, loads/etc. This barrel is scary!

let just say first 3 shots after dialing a rough zero were one hole, then shot 3 groups of 5 that were clover leafs.

Last edited:
I just got back from breaking in my new 20" Compass Lake Bartlein 5R with 25rds...Zero load developments, just put 23.6g 8208 in 1xLC brass, 205's with cheap 77cc at 2.26. Not even gonna post groups, you wouldn't believe them if I did. I'll post up a 6x5 after I get 100rd down it and complete the CL break in process. Chatted with Frank for an hour the other day about the barrel, his recommended cleaning/break in procedure, loads/etc. This barrel is scary!

let just say first 3 shots after dialing a rough zero were one hole, then shot 3 groups of 5 that were clover leafs.

Sounds impressive. I just about pushed the "buy" button a couple of weeks ago for a Compass Lake/Bartlein barrel. I think I need to pick one up. Does your new barrel have the wylde or CLE chamber?

Thank you,

Chad

I mean the sale they were running made it hard not to. I got the following

20" Bartlein 5R Service Rifle Contour
CLE chamber
1:7
1/2-28 threaded muzzle
.750 gas tenon

Douglass is a very accurate barrel at a good price. Shoots as well or better than most barrels and 75-125 FPS faster in the 18" Navy contract barrels. There is a reason the Mk 12 project chose them and it was not price.

Douglass is a very accurate barrel at a good price. Shoots as well or better than most barrels and 75-125 FPS faster in the 18" Navy contract barrels. There is a reason the Mk 12 project chose them and it was not price.

I was talking to Frank about the Douglas barrels. I will be buying one shortly to test in 18".

Sorry if I missed it, will CLE do custom specs? E.g., I want X blank at Y length with Z threading.

I mean the sale they were running made it hard not to. I got the following

20" Bartlein 5R Service Rifle Contour
CLE chamber
1:7
1/2-28 threaded muzzle
.750 gas tenon

Specs on rest of the rifle? Ie is it a new service rifle upper or what?

Also, Douglas barrels are certainly overlooked by many but are some badass tubes. Their 6mm and .30 cal especially have been tearing it up in long range BR. Think those are the ones they use the "double button" on or whatever their term is for it.

I would skip the LaRue etc and get the RRA R3. It's a tack driver and will say you back less then 1K

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Specs on rest of the rifle? Ie is it a new service rifle upper or what?

no it's just the barrel I posted above, not an upper. Here's the build

BCM MOD4 upper receiver (barrel rocksett and thermofit)
Rubber City Armory BCG ( headspaced to barrel)
Geissele MK8 15" Mlok Handguard
SLR Sentry 7 AGB
Aero Gen2 Lower
BAD Ambi Safety
Geissele SD-E
Magpul PRS
JP Rifle buffer spring
Rifle Buffer

H36XLsi.jpg

Last edited:
WOA presently has their 18" SPR barrel on sale for $195.

If I had a use for one ide jump on that for sure, the Rainier’s are gtg. After my first build on one and testing it, 4 other people that saw the results have been building on them since then. If I get around to doing another 300blk upper I’ll do another Rainier barrel like the last one

I have been tweaking the gas block to get the best results with my can. The factory Hornady Black Ammo 75gr BTHP is shooting pretty dang good for me I must say. 5 rounds at about 1/2moa, I don’t think I could ask for much better. I was debating on what barrel to go with, Rainier was at the top of my list. But now the groups with the Hornady Black and the PMC TacX has me thinking to leave it alone.

Attachments

• photo82801.jpg
    photo82801.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 89
padom regarding Bartleins.. CLE wont do 18" rifle length from Bartlein blank correct? Will he do rifle length gas 18" from Kriegers?

Also, anybody tried running a higher end chrome moly barrel?

Last edited:
padom regarding Bartleins.. CLE wont do 18" rifle length from Bartlein blank correct? Will he do rifle length gas 18" from Kriegers?

Also, anybody tried running a higher end chrome moly barrel?

Pretty sure Frank will do whatever you want, he just recommends mid. I have a Bartlein 20" rifle gas that hammers

Which barrel manufacturers have a accuracy guarantee? I’m still debating on getting a 18” barrel with rifle length gas tube. I don’t have to have a heavy contour barrel because I have a reflex suppressor and mount that goes over the barrel. Still looking to keep it under $250-$300.