• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for your opinions on Rem 700 SPS TAC

FHFH2011

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2012
While I'm not new to shooting all types of firearms, this will be the first time I've ever been able to put together a rifle with a fair amount of flexibility and I'm looking to get it right on the first go:

I'm looking to take a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308, replace the Hogue stock with a Choate Tactical (http://www.tacticalworks.com/Choate-Tactical-Stock-Remington-700-SA-BDL.html), add a bipod and one of the following scopes:

Option 1 is what I really want in a Leupold LR/T 4.5-14x40 (http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-mark-4-4-5-14x40mm-pr-long-range-rifle-scope.html).

Option 2 is a bit of a compromise in the Nikon Monarch X 2.5-10x42 (http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-2-5-10x42-Monarch-Riflescope-Mildot/dp/B000YAVMXK).

For clarity, I'm planning on doing most of my shooting at the range in the 300 to 500 yard range, occasionally shorter due to range constraints.

While I'm not a die-hard Leuopold fanboy, I would prefer to go that route. HOWEVER, the money saved with the Monarch would allow me to do everything at once, whereas with the Leuopold I would probably have to hold off on the stock (and I've heard the Hogue stock in question is terrible with regards to barrel contact).

Looking to get more experienced shooters' opinions. I'm open to just about anything. Not going to pull the trigger, so to speak, until I get back from Afghanistan next year so I've got some time to adjust. Thanks

Edit: PS, the links are not necessarily where I'm shopping. That's just the best prices I came up with for initial price comparison. Any links to better/cheaper vendors are also appreciated.

Re: Looking for your opinions on Rem 700 SPS TAC

I would put more $$ towards quality glass, run with the factory Hogue stock until funds allow you to upgrade. While the Hogue is not the best platform on the market, it does have a full length bedding block and it will do for now. You can keep your eye out for a factory Rem composit take-off stock, they show up here quite often and a better choice than the Choate IMPO.

Kirk R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...While the Hogue is not the best platform on the market, it does have a full length bedding block... </div></div>

Ummm, no it doesn't. They do make one that does but the one that comes from Remington on the SPS Tactical rifles does not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Ummm, no it doesn't. They do make one that does but the one that comes from Remington on the SPS Tactical rifles does not. </div></div>

You are correct, I still stand behind my statement though, glass first and stock second.

My AAC-sd shoots well with the hogue stock although Im about to pull the trigger on a macrees folder. Anyway I was surprised with the groups I've been getting with the hogue plus it's fun to practice your krylon free hand with it ha. Quality rings and base also make things easy. I see now yours isn't an AAC sd but anyway just a thought
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FHFH2011</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I'm not new to shooting all types of firearms, this will be the first time I've ever been able to put together a rifle with a fair amount of flexibility and I'm looking to get it right on the first go:

I'm looking to take a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308, replace the Hogue stock with a Choate Tactical (http://www.tacticalworks.com/Choate-Tactical-Stock-Remington-700-SA-BDL.html), add a bipod and one of the following scopes:

Option 1 is what I really want in a Leupold LR/T 4.5-14x40 (http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-mark-4-4-5-14x40mm-pr-long-range-rifle-scope.html).

Option 2 is a bit of a compromise in the Nikon Monarch X 2.5-10x42 (http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-2-5-10x42-Monarch-Riflescope-Mildot/dp/B000YAVMXK).

For clarity, I'm planning on doing most of my shooting at the range in the 300 to 500 yard range, occasionally shorter due to range constraints.

While I'm not a die-hard Leuopold fanboy, I would prefer to go that route. HOWEVER, the money saved with the Monarch would allow me to do everything at once, whereas with the Leuopold I would probably have to hold off on the stock (and I've heard the Hogue stock in question is terrible with regards to barrel contact).

Looking to get more experienced shooters' opinions. I'm open to just about anything. Not going to pull the trigger, so to speak, until I get back from Afghanistan next year so I've got some time to adjust. Thanks

Edit: PS, the links are not necessarily where I'm shopping. That's just the best prices I came up with for initial price comparison. Any links to better/cheaper vendors are also appreciated. </div></div>

You probably have seen people post this before "buy once cry one." I know not everybody can or is willing to blow big bucks on a top of the line optic or stock. But there are obviously reasons many experienced, skilled long range shooters eventually make the commitment to buying top of the line optics, stocks or chassis etc. and it is frequently not just for looks even here on the Hide. 8^) Buy for best performance and fit for your purpose. If it is a money issue be patient as the right stuff for the job will always be worth the expense and wait.

Regarding your new rifle's optics buy the best glass appropriate for the task. When I say buy the "best glass" I mean best optical quality and mechanical reliability with a range of image magnification and a reticle that suits your shooting purpose. A great scope with a 1/10 mil center dot may be great for a tactical scope but will be poorly suited for precision target shooting. A top of the line optic with only the most basic of care will last you for several decades so buy one that is appropriate for the job.

Regarding tactical stocks it is most important to find a stock or chassis with excellent mechanical fit for your body type, mission and typical shooting scenario positions. Pay particular attention to palm & grip size, you do not want your palm hanging off the bottom of the grip. Like other things it is not just how long but how big around and the angle of the grip that are important. Are you a thumb on top or a thumb wrapped around the grip shooter? Also important to best fit is having the hardware built into the stock which allows you to find that perfect fit and gives you the ability to hang additional hardware you might need or want to use. Do you need a forend picatinny rail or a stud for your prefered bipod? Do you need flush cups or studs for your sling? Any action can be fitted perfectly to the stock or chassis, do you need a DBM? Look for a very stiff flex free stock / chassis with good balance and appropriate overall weight. If this rifle is really going to be used as a field rifle you do not want to be hauling around an 18lb. tactical rifle with a 26" barrel. In that case I would rather carry a 6-7lb 20" barrel rifle.

It all boils down to building the right tool for the job and you will not need to buy another one. This is not to say you will not need to buy a different tool when the need for a different tool comes along which is why many people here have so many different tools!

HTH!

I would look into something with adjustable turrets if your primary use is going to be at the range. Even if you might have to save up, invest into a good optic, base and rings. Take your time when it comes to fixing up your rifle, pick out the things that you will suit you best.

i have a Nikon Monarch X 4-16x50 on my AAC-SD. It is a pretty nice scope. i haven't had a chance to shoot it past 600 yet but I'm sure it will be fine when i do get the chance.

you can find them for a lot cheaper than this though.
http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/monarch_x/4-16x50_Mildot/8415

for a few hundred more you can pic up a nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS. I've looked through a few of them and they are pretty damn clear.

The Nikon Monarch you have listed is not the Monarch X. The Monarch X is about $1400 new. You have the 1" tube standard Monarch linked.

Lee.

I wont chime in on the scope because I've only used the Monarch, good glass but not the best. As for the stock though check this out I think you'll find it interesting how much of a difference it will make if your using a bipod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQUwzEqvQc

Wow, looks like I picked the right forum. Thanks for all the advice. You guys have sold me on the quality optics, although I'm still going to do my homework and look into all the options. Might as well shoot with the Hogue for a while to get a feel for the rifle and then decide which direction I want to go. Thanks again.

I just got done with a project similar to this. I am going to replace the barrel and have the action trued so I went with a high dollar stock. I had the same glass on the barreled action and just replacing the "junk" stock, the rifle became a decent shooter. Therefor I would go with the stock first and glass that I could afford. Just my 2 cents.

I believe there is no point in having an accurate rifle if your optic does not track well or hold POI. I believe you are making a solid decision to invest in some good quality glass. Having adjustable turrets that track correctly makes a HUGE difference. Additionally, invest in a good base/ring set up while your at it.

As for the rifle, I would get that Hogue stock bedded and have your barrel lead slug lapped and crowned. Remington does a lousy job of crowning their barrels. And replace the trigger with a good one. You can go on ebay and get one of the old style triggers and do some work to it to make it better than most.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FHFH2011</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, looks like I picked the right forum. Thanks for all the advice. You guys have sold me on the quality optics, although I'm still going to do my homework and look into all the options. Might as well shoot with the Hogue for a while to get a feel for the rifle and then decide which direction I want to go. Thanks again. </div></div>

The Hogue stock is pretty bad. Your groups will likely shrink significantly immediately when you replace it with a bedded high quality stock or chassis system. There are plenty of good deals to be had out there on USED stocks.

What ever you do don't cheap out and buy a stock that lacks adjustments for cheek and LOP. Used AICS chassis are easily found for $600 and less and have almost all of the features you need in a tactical stock out of the box. DBM and adjustments that matter in a very stiff chassis with very good mating to most R700 actions. You may or more likely not find some small amount of additional consistency with a light skim bedding of the AICS chassis. But you will likely need to shoot thousands of rounds to ever see a difference at this stage of your shooting development.

As for scopes consider the mission! Bang for the buck moderate scopes like a Falcon 4-14x44 FFP scope will serve you well in the short term and they are easy to buy and sell used if well cared for. I'm NOT a big proponent of buying over and over as it is much cheaper in the long run to buy entry level high-end equipment than to buy smaller steps approaching the high-end shooting products. But if you cannot buy a new scope in the $1,000-$1,500 range at least buy an optic that will help you to build basic skills with ranging and dialing.

HTH!

I would also suggest holding off on replacing the Hogue stock and invest in quality glass. At a minimum I would look into the Sightron III line or save up and get a Nightforce NXS 3-15X50/56 scope

Kind of in the situation. Recently bought a .223 Rem 700 SPS Tac to get started in LR shooting. Just received Tuesday a Vortex HS 5-15x44 mil/mil scope from MidwayUSA for $499 shipped and some TPS rings and a base. Scope seems super nice for the money (there's a thread in here regarding it), with tall turrets, mil/mil reticle, adj. parallax, 30mm tube. Will hopefully get everything mounted by the weekend and go out into the cold to get some rounds downrange in the cold (here in WI).

My first remy was an sps tactical, great rifle to start on! I ended up with a B&C A2 tactical stock, JP muzzle brake, Weaver 20moa base and Nikon Monarch 6-24x50. It was a blast to shoot, literally!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ilmonster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kind of in the situation. Recently bought a .223 Rem 700 SPS Tac to get started in LR shooting. Just received Tuesday a Vortex HS 5-15x44 mil/mil scope from MidwayUSA for $499 shipped and some TPS rings and a base. Scope seems super nice for the money (there's a thread in here regarding it), with tall turrets, mil/mil reticle, adj. parallax, 30mm tube. Will hopefully get everything mounted by the weekend and go out into the cold to get some rounds downrange in the cold (here in WI). </div></div>

You are not in the same situation. The .223 cartridge is not a long range capable round.

Good advixe here. I've got an SPS Tac on the way. Thanks for the thoughts and thread.

Just picked up an SPS Tactical.
Seems like a nice rifle. Going to set it up for my wife to use.

Yaog is absolutely right and i am even kicking myself right now.

I have the optic covered but i kind of jumped on a 700-aac and have already bought a stock and timney and even sent it off for fluting. But when that is done what do i have? Not the rifle i probably want i should have waited

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 223 tactical has its place and can be long range capable but... you have to work to get there.

But to FHFH2011

Here are my two...
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...886#Post3031886
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...235#Post3384235

and while its not a tactical I will throw this one in as well
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...150#Post2749150
</div></div>

Where is that place? At what range does long range precision begin to you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kingjr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My first remy was an sps tactical, great rifle to start on! I ended up with a B&C A2 tactical stock, JP muzzle brake, Weaver 20moa base and Nikon Monarch 6-24x50. It was a blast to shoot, literally! </div></div>

What did you need a brake for? The only blast was for the poor guys shooting next to you.

If you are trying to engage man-sized targets at varying ranges up to 500 yds from a range bench. The truth is the optic is more important than the quality of the rifle itself, let alone component parts. At least in terms importance to getting started I would rank the rifle third, behind optics and handloads.

You can shoot, learn, and improve a lot before the rifle really limits you. The rifle can't help the shot at all until the other two components are gtg. Horse...then cart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are trying to engage man-sized targets at varying ranges up to 500 yds from a range bench. The truth is the optic is more important than the quality of the rifle itself, let alone component parts. At least in terms importance to getting started I would rank the rifle third, behind optics and handloads.

You can shoot, learn, and improve a lot before the rifle really limits you. The rifle can't help the shot at all until the other two components are gtg. Horse...then cart. </div></div>

I agree. Don't forget the scope mounting system. A $4,000 scope on a bad mount and rings will be virtually useless on a centerfire rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shootnjunky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yaog is absolutely right and i am even kicking myself right now.

I have the optic covered but i kind of jumped on a 700-aac and have already bought a stock and timney and even sent it off for fluting. But when that is done what do i have? Not the rifle i probably want i should have waited </div></div>

Oh I don't know, you could have a pretty sweet rifle there if you got the right stock for the job and it can be adjusted to fit you well. I don't know what stock you bought but I would have spent the fluting money on a better trigger or chassis system with a DBM. It really depends most on how you will use the rifle.

Just bought a .308 Rem SPS Tac 700 AAC and am putting it into a JP Enterprises AMCS Chassis with a JP muzzle brake. Advice sought on optics I have in hand: 1) a $500 Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 mil/mil dot; 2) an $825 Leupold VX-3LR 8.5-25x50 with varmint hunter reticle; 3)a $750 Vortex Viper 6-24x50 illuminated MOA but it is atop my favorite .223 gas gun (a JP-15).

All of them have great glass but which would better suit the .308 (which I am new to).