• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking Into 300 Norma Mag

PATCO

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2019
I am thinking about getting a 200NM and considering the alternatives. I will want a custom action for several reasons and will have to chose a barrel and stock or chassis. There are several guns on the market that interest me. I need suggestions for this. The Christensen Precision Rifle caught my eye, but what about the carbon fiber barrel? Obviously I am looking for ELR, but the weight is not a factor because I will only be toting it from the truck to the firing line. Any suggestions out there?

Is the Christensen chambered in 300 NM? Depending on which cartridge you want to use need to ensure barrel twist rate is correct. Maybe an MPA?

Talking with Short Action Customs on a build with a Defiant Ruckus action with a 27" Bartlein heavy palma barrel. Also had them quote me a Desert Tech SRS A2 build with the 300 NM conversion kit. Still on the fence about the Desert Tech. Also looked at the MRAD, but could only find the SMR version that doesn't allow interchangeable barrels.

If I was going to purchase a 300 NM, I would contact @wildcats and purchase this. Likely shoots so damn well that all you have to do is gently pull the trigger to the rear and read the conditions for one hole groups. Could be at your dealer and in your hands...quickly!

Hi,

300NM with new alloy Bartlein LH GT....
Arrives back from coating/metal treatment tomorrow :)

Aspis.jpg

Sincerely,
Theis

That presents a problem for me. Found out my local range limits anything 300 Win Mag to 338 Lapua to be limited to 300 yards on paper. Nothing on steel and no shooting out to 1000 yards. Has me rethinking my caliber.

Can't say I fully understand it. Cheyenne Mountain Shooting Complex which is run by MWR out of Fort Carson.

Their rules state:

Restricted Caliber Information

High Calibers (.300 Win Mag through .338 Lapua) Can be fired, but only on Range Three. There are four positions for the high calibers: two positions for 50 and 100 yards on paper and two positions for 300 yards on paper only. These are the only three distances you can shoot using the high calibers; they are not allowed to be shot at steel targets. This is due to the high calibers having the ability to shoot over our backstop and onto Fort Carson proper.
  • 50 yards, 100 yards, 300 yards on paper.
  • Absolutely no steel target shooting.
  • .50 caliber cartridge rifles are still not authorized.

Reactions: MountainHunter
32399336_1835737196720996_2195094915254321152_o (2).jpg

TVP 300 NORMA MAG
SURGEON XL REPEATER
KRIEGER 1.400" -1.00" 30" 10 TWIST
KMW SENTINEL COMBAT STOCK
HUBER TRIGGER
Hellfire Brake (not pictured)
Bridge is currently being installed for ELR
Smithed by Tom Sarver @ Thunder Valley Precision.

ACtC-3emwC7GXFCQSpb7fZm-sLv7I3Ai9otlPx6JtUt2FDF4NuDmXNWQ2Caz6r0r3pWPcqsSC16ev_2uMIJHCfOfY46gw_xfr0gQFhkdphDS_Zwyo0vB89JTVxEcsngKeNeHkNJuumQvli8vAkHHJNrJdJRDmA=w1024-h576-no

Terminus Long action ( Now is Called Kratos)
30" ish Bartlien 8t w/ APA Fat Bastard
MPA BA Hybrid
Triggertech
Leupold Mk5
Lapua Brass, 230 SMK @ 3100fps
Weighs about 19lbs, very pleasant to shoot, not pleasant if shooting next too.

• Love
Reactions: Balor
Sako TRG42 and a DTA. Both feed Norma improved with 230 a-tips from the magazine and function in Wyoming dust with 60+mph winds. Great rifles.

520AA178-D39B-456B-BB9F-2554BDFCF47F.png

Reactions: VargmatII
assuming he means cycle the bolt
not shoot 1moa in 50mph wind

assuming he means cycle the bolt
not shoot 1moa in 50mph wind
I was there... while the TRG performed fine the DTA did not, with cases getting stuck in the chamber and bullets blowing up 60’ from the muzzle.

• Wow
Reactions: ma smith
I was there... while the TRG performed fine the DTA did not, with cases getting stuck in the chamber and bullets blowing up 60’ from the muzzle.

Simply a function of barrel twist. Too fast for lead. The original idea was to shoot solids, then the a-tip came along so we choose to run them. The dta was loaded about 50fps faster than the trg in moderate temperatures, when hot it hit the threshold of jacket separation. The choice to run lead vs solids was based on the impact splash between the two, advantage going to lead. I think I “lost” three bullets with the trg that weekend... no splash no impact no call etc. Both rifles have slower twist barrels and are ready for more dust and wind.

Define function.

With the trg I did nothing but blow the dust out of the rifle at the end of the day and a patch with brake clean down the barrel. No issues in the dust. Took 1st in several stages and didn’t fair too bad overall. Not bad for a first trip out there.

Last edited:
I think you’re definitely on the right path. I’ve shot my 300 NM out to 2550 with Frank on his range in Ft. Morgan CO (Everyday Sniper Podcast #281 “New Year’s Eve Resolutions 2021-aired Nov 14th 2020).

While most will push to have you build what they did- I think it’s a preference thing, just find a reputable gun builder, use quality parts and get ready to spend both time & money getting it to perform (Load development and fine tuning your shooting fundamentals) If you're new to ELR I recommend getting some specific training. Having said that- once you do get it tamed, the 300 Norma is a solid heavy hitter for intermediate distance ELR shooting.

Personally; I’ve had the following built by Joseph Furrer of Alyeska Precision, Chugiak Alaska:

BAT Machine Model HR Action
Kreiger 30” Barrel 1-9” twist
Zero Compromise ZCO 5-27x56 MPCT1
SPUHR SP-61602 55MOA Mount
Thunder Beast 338 Ultra Suppressor
J Allen JAE700 Long Action Chassis
Bix-n-Andy TacSport Pro 2/Flat trigger
Thunder Beast Bipod

I shoot 230gr Hornady A-Tips @3075fps (86.0grs Vihtavouri N570)
60471393510__A2B1D019-2256-495F-81D5-BA0D8D0F08DB.jpg
In our rather crowded and competitive shooting community, this rifle has become something of a standard in accuracy and craftsmanship.

Last edited:
I'm also considering a 300 Norma and have been debati5ng a custom build vs the Christensen Arms MPR. The MPR is about 2200 bucks and weighs close to 8 pounds. I'm a little concerned with the recoil of an 8 pound rifle but its not like i'd be shooting 50 rounds in a session anyway. I do like the idea of an 8 pound rifle for long range hunting though. I've shot out to a mile before with other rifles and i've really enjoyed it, and am looking at this 300 Norma for 1500-2000 yard shooting as well. I know the sky is the limit with a custom build, but how much more would I gain with a custom and what would be a starting price point for the rifle itself?

I'm a little concerned with the recoil of an 8 pound rifle but its not like i'd be shooting 50 rounds in a session anyway. I do like the idea of an 8 pound rifle for long range hunting though.
My 300 NMI comes in around 10.5-11#. That 8# rifle you speak of will get a bipod that's almost a pound, a scope that's 1.5-2# and it is no longer lighter weight. IMO an 11# rifle is perfect for long range shooting and being just light enough to carry for hunting. Put a big slab style muzzle brake on it and you will be able to spot your own impacts. A rifle setup like this kicks way less than any ole 1970's 30-06.

Talking with Short Action Customs on a build with a Defiant Ruckus action with a 27" Bartlein heavy palma barrel. Also had them quote me a Desert Tech SRS A2 build with the 300 NM conversion kit. Still on the fence about the Desert Tech. Also looked at the MRAD, but could only find the SMR version that doesn't allow interchangeable barrels.
If going Barrett get the MRAD avoid the SMR. I was shooting my 300wm to a mile with the MRAD, as accurate as any of my other customs rifles.

I'm also considering a 300 Norma and have been debati5ng a custom build vs the Christensen Arms MPR. The MPR is about 2200 bucks and weighs close to 8 pounds. I'm a little concerned with the recoil of an 8 pound rifle but its not like i'd be shooting 50 rounds in a session anyway. I do like the idea of an 8 pound rifle for long range hunting though. I've shot out to a mile before with other rifles and i've really enjoyed it, and am looking at this 300 Norma for 1500-2000 yard shooting as well. I know the sky is the limit with a custom build, but how much more would I gain with a custom and what would be a starting price point for the rifle itself?
Well, I've owned a CA MPR in 300NM as have the guy I bought it from- we both decided to build customs after a short period. After shooting a few- one shot lights out, as good as any custom; the other two were never really able to shoot as well as their owners. Thus is the roll-of-the-dice in the production rifle game. Living in Alaska- dual purpose guns are always better, here are a few pics of an eight pound custom 300NM that goes hunting in a carbon fiber stock, then into a weighted chassis for ELR shooting.
IMG_8890.PNG
IMG_8802.jpg
IMG_8329.jpg

Simply a function of barrel twist. Too fast for lead. The original idea was to shoot solids, then the a-tip came along so we choose to run them. The dta was loaded about 50fps faster than the trg in moderate temperatures, when hot it hit the threshold of jacket separation. The choice to run lead vs solids was based on the impact splash between the two, advantage going to lead. I think I “lost” three bullets with the trg that weekend... no splash no impact no call etc. Both rifles have slower twist barrels and are ready for more dust and wind.

What twist were you running on the DTA that was blowing up bullets? I have an 8.4 twist to shoot 250 A Tips that I'm just waiting on a scope to show up.

I am thinking about getting a 200NM and considering the alternatives. I will want a custom action for several reasons and will have to chose a barrel and stock or chassis. There are several guns on the market that interest me. I need suggestions for this. The Christensen Precision Rifle caught my eye, but what about the carbon fiber barrel? Obviously I am looking for ELR, but the weight is not a factor because I will only be toting it from the truck to the firing line. Any suggestions out there?
The 300 Norma is a great rifle, especially if you reload.
I would not recommend the CPR or carbon barrels for your uses.
for elr shooting some weight in the barrel is very helpful.

As for the rifle, my choice was an MRAD and I love it. They can be found for under 5k if you shop around.
Or any quality smith can build what you want, lots of good choices mentioned above.

The 300 Norma is a great rifle, especially if you reload.
I would not recommend the CPR or carbon barrels for your uses.
for elr shooting some weight in the barrel is very helpful.

As for the rifle, my choice was an MRAD and I love it. They can be found for under 5k if you shop around.
Or any quality smith can build what you want, lots of good choices

What twist were you running on the DTA that was blowing up bullets? I have an 8.4 twist to shoot 250 A Tips that I'm just waiting on a scope to show up.

You will be fine with the 8.4. Both of the original barrels on the trg and the dta were 7.5. To run 190-210gr solids. The only difference between the two was mine had a year of wear on the barrel before switching to lead. The dta was new last winter. The dta was running rl26 and the trg was running h1000. After seeing the advantage of lead splatter from the conventional bullet it was a clear advantage for spotting the small bullets. Knowing 7.5 was too fast but after testing in my 7.5 and working well we decided to run the dta the same cause there was a barrel laying in the rack. Is what she is. That barrel runs solids just fine, dta has a new barrel for lead on it now. The joy of doing your own work means it only costs you a barrel to experiment with something.

I’m currently putting together another 300NM on a manners TF4a mated to a terminus action.. I’ll be fitting a 30”+ Bartlein #9 for shooting matches and I’m planning on a 22” MTU Bartlein carbon barrel for hunting.. my current 300nm that I cut my teeth with is a RPR magnum that was originally purchased as a 338 lapua and immediately rebarreled it with a 28” Bartlein and it’s a 1/2 MOA rifle now, topped it with a razor gen 1 and with 130 minutes of elevation adjustment I can dial to roughly 2800 yards... I haven’t shot it that far myself but I did shoot it out to 2200 in Wyoming and and it performed great.

You will be fine with the 8.4. Both of the original barrels on the trg and the dta were 7.5. To run 190-210gr solids. The only difference between the two was mine had a year of wear on the barrel before switching to lead. The dta was new last winter. The dta was running rl26 and the trg was running h1000. After seeing the advantage of lead splatter from the conventional bullet it was a clear advantage for spotting the small bullets. Knowing 7.5 was too fast but after testing in my 7.5 and working well we decided to run the dta the same cause there was a barrel laying in the rack. Is what she is. That barrel runs solids just fine, dta has a new barrel for lead on it now. The joy of doing your own work means it only costs you a barrel to experiment with something.

Thanks for the info!