• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking selection help with a first LR bolt rifle

grunteled

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2008
Missouri
www.cranehome.org
I have been lurking about for a while in the bolt action arena. I have been shooting semi-autos for a while and found that my tastes ran more to accuracy than volume of fire over time. I still love semi-auto rifles and so I purchased my DPMS SASS and I have been quite pleased with it. This has just reinforced the 'hit small targets' bug a bit more. So I have been looking into a bolt-action LR rifle of some kind.

I think my budget would fall around 1800 to 2000 at a stretch for the rifle. Scope/mount would be considered separately. Since I have a .308 already I'd like to go with something with longer legs. I go back forth on this though because .308 is so convenient.

For a long time I lusted after one of the 338 caliber rifles but my reality is that I can't get into the 338 rifles because of inital cost and ongoing cost to feed it. I also can't afford most of the top custom rigs, and honestly my skill and intended use just don't justify them. I might shoot some matches as my ability improves but I'm not interested in top scores or anything, just want to enjoy the sport.

There are some things I'd really like to have in this rifle if I can find good options for it.

- Good trigger or at least one that can be made good without large cash/time outlays
- Doesn't need custom work just to get started. I really don't want to buy a rifle and then tear it apart and send it off for months to have various work done if I can avoid that.
- Detachable mags, I'm not entirely set on this but it seems like it would be a handy thing to have and I would like it.
- Caliber options beyond .223/.308.
- I'd like for it not to be a truck in weight. I'd probably like something that would be manageable in the woods to hunt with as well so none of the massive bull barrel rifles.

So far I have looked at the basic Remington models and they seem to do well but people are always seeming to be sending them off to have something else fixed/tweaked so I'm not sure I want to get into that.

The Tikka T3 looks interesting but not exactly stellar.

The Steyr SSG 04 also looks interesting but large and over-budget.

I'd also look at places that offer worked up Remingtons if I didn't have to buy the rifle and then chase down all the separate action work. I'd also like to know if any come recommended since anyone can make claims on a website.

What other options are there? It may be that my only real option is a Remington and parting it out but I thought I would ask. A lot of the LR shooting rifle comparisons I see are looking at stuff that's $2500 or more. I'm also a little lost on the caliber. Is 300WM or .260 the better choice? Right now, access to even 1000yds is not something I have but flatter shots out to 600-800yds would be nice along with good game hunting ability.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'd love to hear opinions.

Re: Looking selection help with a first LR bolt rifle

Why not look into the .300WM, .300WSM, or the 7mmWSM? I think that would be plenty for your long range bolt gun itch!

Re: Looking selection help with a first LR bolt rifle

Remington 5R in 300WM looks pretty interesting and not unreasonably priced..... This is 6 months or more away so for now I'm just wanting to gather options.