• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking to add a SIG 556 DMR to my arsenal - Need advice

Mx2

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2014
Hey Guys,

This is my first of many posts for I am looking for a few good guys for advice. I am looking to expand my current arsenal / collection with the addition of a long range / intermediate range rifle.

My current collection consists of:

- Tavor (close range)
- Saiga AK (all purpose)
- Sig 522 Commando ( all purpose)
- Winchester 270 (hunting rifle)
- Tricked out Remington shotgun (Home Defense)
- Makarov (not a big handgun fan, but picked a brand new one up for $100.00)

I know that I have a semi-long range rifle(s), but I am looking for something that is highly functional, practical yet cool looking.

I do not want a super long range rifle...there is no where around where I live that I would really be able to shoot over 200 yards.

Someone suggested a SIG 556 DMR which is something I am liking at the moment, due to the love of my SIG 522. As of right now, my budget is around $2000 - $3000. I am looking to get a rifle and some accessories (scope, bi-pod, etc..)

Please let me know your thoughts on the gun and other rifle suggestions.

I am really looking forward to your suggestions and am looking at becoming a contributing member to the site.

cool looking is not shooting, going to a shoot off or a gun show

Why not an AR platform in 5.56/7.62 (you didnt mention you owned one, so just assuming)?

I have quite a few 556 AR'S among them Noveske, LMT, POF, BCM and SIG 556, The SIG is my least accurate of all of them and I tried for over a year with different powder and bullet combos to get it to shoot decent 100 yard 5 shot groups(less than 1 moa consistently) and never had any luck. It is my least favorite rifle and rarely shoot it any more. You can find lots of similar responses on sig556.com site. My Noveske N4 Afghan and POF 415 will shoot well under 1 moa all day wit my match hand loads.

Last edited:
You have to keep in mind, that while some makes and barrels are on avg more accurate and consistant than some others, there is no guarentee of a 1/2 or even 1MOA gun. If you want that, then have something built by a smith who will stand behind their work.

Ammo and shooter ability are also going to be critical for finding a good combo. Some barrels like certain loads better than others, and it could get very expensive if your gun only shoots say FGGM or BH 77gr well.

For the money of a an off the shelf option, You can build a VERY accurate 5.56 AR with a quality barrel. JP, Lija, Krieger, WOA and and various CLE blanks are all known 5.56 shooters. That is if pure accuracy is the driving force behind your selection. You could build a gun with a good mount, glass, and some accsesories and stay at or under $3K

For a non 5.56 gun, you won't beat a SCAR17 in that price range, or anywhere close to it.

You have to keep in mind, that while some makes and barrels are on avg more accurate and consistant than some others, there is no guarentee of a 1/2 or even 1MOA gun. If you want that, then have something built by a smith who will stand behind their work.

Ammo and shooter ability are also going to be critical for finding a good combo. Some barrels like certain loads better than others, and it could get very expensive if your gun only shoots say FGGM or BH 77gr well.

For the money of a an off the shelf option, You can build a VERY accurate 5.56 AR with a quality barrel. JP, Lija, Krieger, WOA and and various CLE blanks are all known 5.56 shooters. That is if pure accuracy is the driving force behind your selection. You could build a gun with a good mount, glass, and some accsesories and stay at or under $3K

For a non 5.56 gun, you won't beat a SCAR17 in that price range, or anywhere close to it.

I agree with the above especially on the SCAR 17. I missed the boat on getting an FDE SCAR 17 by waiting to long then the panic set in. I am hoping prices come down so I have big brother to keep my FDE SCAR 16 company. I must add however my Noveske Afghan N4 with the monolithic receiver and SS barrel is my most accurate 556. Very often shooting 5 shot 100 yard groups well under 0.5 moa.

I agree with the above especially on the SCAR 17. I missed the boat on getting an FDE SCAR 17 by waiting to long then the panic set in. I am hoping prices come down so I have big brother to keep my FDE SCAR 16 company. I must add however my Noveske Afghan N4 with the monolithic receiver and SS barrel is my most accurate 556. Very often shooting 5 shot 100 yard groups well under 0.5 moa.

What length barrel is your Noveske? Does the N4 represent the monolithic receiver and it that Billet or still considered a forged piece Gen I or Gen II?

Thanks

What length barrel is your Noveske? Does the N4 represent the monolithic receiver and it that Billet or still considered a forged piece Gen I or Gen II?

Thanks

The barrel length is 16.1" with the pinned and fixed flashider. The N4's has both the monolithic receiver and the muir receiver. I have both. the one with the muir receiver has a CL barrel and is a tad less accurate than the SS barrel. Both are Gen I. Don't now the answer to the remainder of your question. Perhaps someone else can answer it.

Last edited: