• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking to build an m40a5 any advice?

sully614597

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2010
any advice on how i should start this adventure, i dont want to go broke doing this.

Re: looking to build an m40a5 any advice?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sully614597</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont want to go broke doing this. </div></div>

Well if this is your main goal then maybe your lookin in the wrong direction.

You are looking at roughly $7k-8k plus with optics. If that's not your definition of going broke, then listen to the advice above and order one from GAP. If that is your definition of going broke, start with a Remington 5R milspec and order a mcmillan A4 stock. That will get you started and you can still use the action and stock if you decide to slowly build up to a full spec rifle.

There's no cheap way to get one unless you join the Marines, go into infantry couple years in the fleet ,try out for STA PLATOON. otherwise, your looking about 1k for just stock with bottom metal, the scope and rings new,around $3500 go from there....action,barrel,base,gunsmithing ,bedding........pm me for the cheapest route.
Good luck with your build.

I'm also looking to build a variant of the M40. From what I can tell, it's sort of a mix between the A3 and A5. This is the first rifle I've ever tried to build, and I probably need a bit of hand-holding, so to speak. I have a list of the parts I need for it, but based on what I've read, there's a lot more to it. What I have so far is as follows:
Remington 700 Short Action .308 (I aim to buy one from Cabela's or the Bass Pro Shop)
Leupold 4.5-14x50mm LR/T Scope
McMillan A4 Stock, OD, Butt Spacer, Saddle adj. cheek piece, flushmount cups
Badger Ordnance 34mm standard scope rings
B.O. M5 trigger guard/magazine
Either DD Ross 30MOA rail or B.O. 20 MOA rail (does it really matter?)
Harris 3-9 Swivel bipod
Schneider 610 24-inch 6-groove 1:12" match grade heavy barrel

What else do I need? And is there anything special required to assemble all of this stuff? (Inletting for the trigger assembly, for example).
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

there's no way you are going to be able to get the action slotted for the proper 30 MOA rail without some serious milling equipment. A real M40A5 is not a do it yourself home project unless you have a small machine shop in the garage. You can get pretty close by ordering most all the other bits and pieces, but at the end of the day it will cost about the same as ordering it from a reputable builder.

First off I just wanna say thanks for responding.
Well as far as the gunsmithing goes, I was going to send it in somewhere local to be assembled. I just have no idea on how to go about it really. And I wanna make sure if I have everything I need, all the parts and everything.

I have been going the same route as you. And I have just in the past two weeks or so figured out. There is really no money to be saved by buying all your parts. Find a good smith and let them do it. There are several amazing builders on here. As well as, thousands that are around the country building .5 or better guns. My recommendation is find a good builder and tell them what you want. and on another note the lead on the McMili in camo right now is about 4 to 5 months.