• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Looking to buy 1911. Suggestions?

Vitorum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
TN
Hey guys whats up. I'm actually trying to assist one of my friends who is looking to buy one. I'm pretty well rounded when it comes
to firearms but I have never really delved into the world of the 1911. He has a budget of around $650-$700. I know there are a lot
of companies out there that make them. Sig, S&W,springfield,colt, ruger, and from what I'm told Kimber is one of the best but
to expensive from what I've seen to fit his budget. Any friendly suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks.

I have 2 Tuarus PT1911's 9mm and 45acp. For the money, ($600ish) I am very pleased and have recomended them to several others.
My .02

I have a Citadel Compact that I have been rather impressed with considering it was less than $600 at Academy. Accurate for a 3 1/2" barrel, good trigger (breaks at just under 5 lbs.), and feeds everything I have put in it reliably (Ball and various JHP). That being said, the finish on a Taurus is a little better than the Citadel...

Is he looking for a range gun, carry, HD, etc? Any preferences 4", 5", subcompact, steel, alloy, finish? Has he shot one before? Without some preferences it's like asking what kind of car to get. If he has none then I would suggest sending him down to the LGS to fondle everything they have in the counter, browsing all the vendor sites to see what's available, and maybe even renting a few.

There are a lot of options especially if he considers something that is lightly used but it's all going to depend on what he wants to do with it. Otherwise you will probably get a lot of suggestions that may not fit the bill.

for that you can probably get a springfield loaded GI. It comes with Trijicon night sites and is a nice gun. I would swap out the 2 piece guide rod (I hate having to carry a tool to dis/ass a gun for a one piece. I have slowly replaced most of the internals with Wilson Combat stuff and I couldn't be happier. The best part is that now I almost have enough parts to build another 1911! Plus, I find it fun to work on my guns and the thing shoots everything I put in it.

Take your time and look for an older Kimber. Everything you need and nothing you dont.

I will probably get bashed for saying this but I have owned 2 Kimbers the first was a tle rl2 the sear messed up after around 700 rounds and it would fire in almost a 3 round burst which is not cool in a .45 acp hand gun. The second one was a covert 2 which around ever 3rd round the spent caseing would hit me between the eyes which also sucked. I'm not saying all Kimbers are bad but the 2 I had were now the first was a simple fix replace the sear problem solved. I still have not gotten the bugs worked out of the covert 2. I have replaced everyhing that would have anything to do with ejection problems and no go. So I would stick with a Springfield or used Colt I have owned both and zero issues with either. I also have an STI but it was alot more than the budget you have but if you can come up with a few more hundred I highly recomend them also.

I would recommend Springfield Armory or Ruger in that price range.

I owned a poorly built Kimber TLE2 and personally experienced the worst customer service I have ever seen from a firearms company. I invested $500 in the gun just to make it functional.
The stock finish rusted horribly. $200 at Robar
MSH was plastic and cracked $40 for steel replacement
Brand new the gun wouldn't reliably extract due to horrible parts quality and fitment $120
Rear sight started drifting around in the dovetail (1/4 inch per shot). Fortunately that happed during a qualification and not in a shooting. $120

I sold it at a massive loss after buying a Springfield Professional Operator ($2,500) which is my new on and off duty gun. I have run thousands of rounds through it without malfunction and could not be happier that I spent more up front.

I discourage people from buying 1911s for defensive or duty use unless they are willing to make a significant initial investment and commit to the 1911s more rigorous maintenance routine. The average shooter is far better served with a Glock, M&P or XD for a defensive weapon. If he is buying it for fun at the range then I certainly would not discourage him. The 1911 is a very well designed weapon and when it is properly built and well maintained I feel it is without peer.

Last edited:
I've got both a Remington R1 Enhanced and a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry. Both have been extremely reliable and have a couple thousand rounds through each. The Remington is a lot of gun for the money IMO and the Kimber is great for carry. The Kimber is damn accurate! I had a RIA compact and it was a jam-o-matic....just don't go there. I wouldn't hesitate to go Springfield either....in fact, my next one will be either a Springer loaded or a Ruger...

Whoever told you a Kimber is a great gun , did you an injustice. They are for looking at a lot, and to shoot very little. The old ones were all hand fitted, and were great guns. Springfield Armory should be on your short list. I think you'd have a hard time finding a Colt in that price range. Good luck, J

Ignore- Kimber and Taurus

Budget- Rock Island (or other Armscor made brand), SA GI/Milspec
Mid- SA Loaded, TRP, RO, Operator, etc. STI Spartan or go used on STI, Dan Wesson, SA, etc.

I vote for STI or Springfield. I have a couple 1911's and I don't trust my Kimber.

Those Sprinfields are very,very nice for the $$
My advice would be to get a Springfield Loaded
and send it to GGI for further enhancements.

7egyruqu.jpg

I have been very impressed with my STI Spartan. It's in your price range.

I think that if you are going to get into the 1911 business, you have to learn to tweak them. You just do. I have had over a dozen Kimbers and some have had some issues, but nothing I could not tweak and fix on my own.

That said, for your price range, the Ruger is a lot of gun for the money. The fit is not spectacular but the finish and reliability are good for a Sub- $1k pistol. The R-1 enhanced is in the same league, however the fit seems a bit superior to the ruger. No impact on performance, the Ruger thumb safeties stick out a bit from the frame on many of the ones I have seen. Be careful of the triggers in the R-1's. Some are crisp and clean and other are the smelly kids of the trigger world, no idea why. For the price, you can still have a great trigger installed or the existing one cleaned up and still be way under $800.

I have my heart set on a Colt Rail Gun...cerakoted black stainless frame and slide.
I also have a S&W 1911PD that has been a great, lightweight, carry gun.

LinkClick.aspx

For the price you laid out I would go with a Springfield mil-spec. Its a great gun and their customer service is top notch. You won't be disappointed.

Save up for a Nighthawk, Wilson, Les Baer, Ed Brown... I've done the buy a mid-level 1911 and slowly build it as time and money permits. At the end of the day you still have a mid-level 1911. Now if your friend just wants to decide if likes 1911's, he'd be better off renting/borrowing one a couple of times instead of jumping into a $700 investment.

In that price range, it is hard to beat the STI Spartan. Some other good options open up if you look in the used market - but be sure to know what you are buying. It is amazing how many people attempt to "customize" their 1911's. Unless you know who did the work and are confident in their abilities (i.e., a reputable 'smith), it is really easy to buy someone else's problem; and that will cost a lot in the long-run (both in terms of frustration and $$ to get the gun to run how you want it to run).