• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Looking to buy my first 1911

cookietheswede

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
Southgate, KY
Looking for suggestions for my first 1911. Thinking about a Kimber Eclipse. Trying to keep it under $1500. What do you guys like and why?

Re: Looking to buy my first 1911

Check out 1911forum.com thats where I went when I was researching 1911's. I was gonna go with a kimber eclipse and ended up with a Dan Wesson Rz45. I'm Extremely happy with it and no MIM parts.

dw2.jpg

You can get a whole lot of 1911 for 1500. Look into a springfield trp.
Check the forsale section, lots of really good deals on 1911's pretty regularly in there.

If you try to keep it cheap, it'll probly cost you more in the long run. I spent a long time shopping for a 1911. Decided to go ahead and get one that had everything I wanted. I got the kimber Custom Covert. Have no regrets and don't have to worry about upgrading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cookie the Swede</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for suggestions for my first 1911. Thinking about a Kimber Eclipse. Trying to keep it under $1500. What do you guys like and why? </div></div>

Buying a sidearm is an extremely personal decision for most of us. I would sit down and list all the options you want. Then list what you don't want. Go look at as many 1911s as you can. You've already listed a criteria of less than 1500.00. For that you can have just about any used semi-custom you want or new cookie cutter you'd like.

I would recommend looking at a Springfield Loaded, you can custom order one through their Armory website and they are very affordable.

Thanks for that thread eddie, very interesting stuff. going to forward that to my brother who is hellbent on getting a kimber for some reason..

Check out Fusion Firearms. Bob Serva used to run Dan Wesson and I have heard nothing but good things about his guns. Mine should be done in a couple of months.

I wounder if the Kimber problems are a few people having problems and 1000's of others working fine? I am not looking for a carry gun. I have a Sig 229 for that. Just on a pistol kick lately. I a looking for a good, reliable 1911 to shoot. I just don't have much experience in hand with them.

Go buy a Taurus 1911 and tons of ammo for $1500 and get good with it, they are very accurate. JMO

I personally would stay away from Taurus 1911's. I have three in the safe that customers brought in to the shop that are going back to Taurus next week. One won't even feed hardball ammo from an original Taurus mag, a Wilson or McCormick mag. It's barrel over hangs the feed ramp.
The 2nd has what is probably a disconnector thats too short and likes to pretend it's full auto, and the 3rd has some serious issues with the series 80 type firing pin safety, the plunger in the slide will not move at all. I refused to work on them and told customers I would return them to the factory. I'm glad we've never sold any Taurus pistols. I do know a few people who have them and have never had a problem, but this was enough to keep me from ever wanting one. Taurus stakes the firing pin stop on the bottom, never figured out why.

You can get a whole lot more gun from STI for $1500.

Don't shy away from Springfield as well.

For total factory and not custom or "semi-custom", Springfield leads the current pack. You can get more 1911 information over at www.1911forum.com if you wish. Lots of information.

i have a springfield champion operator.......... all i can say is top notch for the money

Maybe if you would post what barrel length you are looking for as well as what caliber it will be...45mm, 9mm, 38 super... $1500 is a pretty good chunk of change...You could get everything from a custom gold cup to a remington rand. If your going to target shoot with it???? Kimber makes some pretty nice guns....for carry and $800/1000 you cant beat a combat commander!

just my 2 cents

Get one without the funky series 80 firing pin block garbage inside of it, or you'll never get a good trigger pull.

Well.....Had a slight setback. Got this for $525.00 (new). Couldn't pass it up.

IMG_0050.jpg

But I did get to fondle a few 1911's. I like the Springfield Loaded might go that way. Also they had a Sig 1911. I am going to look into them.
I keep hearing about going custom. The ones I have looked at are all in the $2000 range. Am I just looking at the too custom pistols?
Smudaaar I am just looking for a nice paper puncher. Most likely will not carry(in love with my Sig 229). And I want it to be in .45. Barrel length I haven't thought about I usually shoot around 15-25yds.
I am just trying to learn as much as I can before I buy. I am hopefully going to buy one, and i would like it to be a nice one.

Thanks for all the help and ideas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cookie the Swede</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I keep hearing about going custom. The ones I have looked at are all in the $2000 range. Am I just looking at the too custom pistols? </div></div>
Fusion Firearms!

Like I said earlier, I have heard nothing but good things. I called them up and Bob Serva (the owner) answered the phone. I told him exactly what I wanted and he emailed me a quote at $1650 that day. Do some googling on them, people have nothing but good things to say about Bob and his crew. It was half down and a 16 week wait when I ordered at the end of november.
Fusion Forum with pictures.

Smith and Wesson is doing nice things in the 1911 universe! Paras are nice too. You have some winnowing to do to settle on just one!

Go and find a shop that lets you rent and shoot handguns, and shoot everything you can get your hands on, then shoot a Sig 226 or 220. You will know what to do.

I have two Kimber 1911's. A 5in Stainless II and a 3in stainless Pro Carry II. The 5in has had 1,000 rounds through it. Barely broken in. One of my friends has put 11,000 rounds down the pipe of a 5in. Kimber without a jam or failure. The pro carry took some getting used to because of the short length but I see no loss in accuracy. There are better weapons out there but until you get into the class of a Baer or several equivalent customs it will be hard to beat an off the shelf Kimber.
CCP.jpg

The Eclipse is a great weapon. With $1500.00 to spend you can find many quality examples of a 1911.
As for caliber....45ACP 'cause shooting twice is just silly!

Their one thought to your $1500 limit I want to share. As many of us have learned, especially with optics.

"Spend one, cry once"

I can't say I've lived this but.....

Ed Brown Special Forces in a Milt Sparks VMII and I now carry daily in the Milt Sparks BN55, outside the waist holster; same angle as the VMII.

EFSFwmagsleft.jpg

CCWoutfitclose.jpg

Get yourself an STI Spartan or Trojan and a pile of mags.

Well....lucked out with this today. Guy was looking to trade it in but the shop didn't want it. And then I heard him say "come on I need the money". So $800 cash got me a Springfield TRP. Thanks for all the help. Now why didn't I get one of these earlier???? They feel and shoot awesome. Any one have any recommendations for ammo to shoot paper with.

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Nice pistol. Love my Springfield. I always shoot Winchester White Box (WWB).

Josh

Lokk for Dan Wesson CBOB it usually runs a tad $1000 and use the remaining money to get a RIA Tactical then you 2 will have 1911..and maybe atleast 200 rounds..

danwessoncbob007.jpg

danwessoncbob005.jpg

danwessoncbob004.jpg

For $1500 you can do pretty well. As several have mentioned Dan Wesson would be a great choice. Series 80 or Kimber schwartz's are fine, and can have great triggers if a good smith does the work. All of them are mechanical devices that will fail. MIM is not that bad, again from a reputable manufacturer. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texagator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I respectfully but strongly disagree with this statement based on my own real world experience.

To the OP, whatever you do, steer clear of any 1911 that has a Series 80 or Kimber Schwartz safety in it. Your budget is such that there are many very good options out there. </div></div>

Likewise, I respectfully disagree. Good news is there are plenty of non-schwartz/s80 options out there for those who lose sleep over stuff like that. Again, Dan Wesson comes to mind.

ETA: To the OP, congrats on the TRP. Springfield makes a good 1911 but where they shine is customer service. They have been known to be very kind to Springfield owners who aren't the original purchasers which I think is remarkable. Most likely though it will run well with quality magazines and ammo.

Night Hawk Customs, Ed Brown, Maybe a lower end Wilson Combat. Also Dan Wesson, Kimber, STI and yes a Smith and Wesson 1911. I will warn you though about the Smith and Wesson Finish. I own one its an awesome shooter and they are built with quality parts. I never thought I would ever own another Smith & Wesson until I picked this one up and held it. finish wears off easily on the blued version on the frame, and slide. I have had this gun for over a year, the slide is also getting holster wear. I use either a blackhawk holster for when I go to court or a Galco Cop 3 that has the 3 belt loops in it so you can carry it with the FBI cant or straight up and down. The blackhawk wore the finsih off in two spots ontop of the slide. I am going to send it off to one of the guys here on the hide that dura coats. SO make sure you get a 1911 with the type of finish on it that will last you based on what you are going to use it for as a carry gun or just a range gun.

Forget duracoat. Get some kind of Ionbond or hard chrome if you want it to last. Painted finishes are just as crappy as bluing.

I need some extra mags for my new toy. Should I get Springfield mags or some other. I will pay for good ones. I got some extra money from getting my TRP so cheap.

Chip McCormick shooting star mags are good and reasonable. Wilson are prob.. the best, but most expensive. Which TRP did you get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cookie the Swede</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need some extra mags for my new toy. Should I get Springfield mags or some other. I will pay for good ones. I got some extra money from getting my TRP so cheap.
</div></div>

I had a TRP that didn't like Wilson 47Ds. My Mil Spec and GI both do fine with them. It's one of those areas you have to be ready to spend money in (like ammo and training) if you want consistency whether in your abilities or the gun. Luckily you saved a good amount of money in your budget with this one. If I were in your shoes, I would initially pick up one of each of the magazines like McCormick's, Wilson's, Springfield's, etc. and test them with quality hardball like Federal AE45A2 or something similar. Mags in my experience are the first reliability issue. Once you find a magazine your TRP likes, buy as many as your budget will allow considering ammo and training if you can. Then number the magazines. Be ready to make problematic magazines "range only." Magazines are disposable. Don't ever get married to them and be willing to replace them often if needed or under heavy use. Once you've made sure you have about 10 of the same magazine that are 100% dead nuts reliable, ammo will be next. You can always follow the rule of thumb "they all fall to hardball" with the 45, but I prefer to use a quality production hollow point for self defense carry rounds. This gives you the issue of whether the throat/barrel will handle the ogive of any particular hollowpoint shape. For example, the Hornady TAP has a very straight ogive, where the Remington Golden Sabre has a very rounded ogive with a shape very near to 230gr ball. There are manufacturers with shapes that fall anywhere in between. When choosing self defense ammo don't choose based only on mathematical genius on some sort of chart about how lethal something is. Some of it is important, all things being equal, reliable, and available, but at the end of the day reliability should be priority #1. Hopefully this is already obvious. Once you've found the right mag, and have 10 that work reliably with your TRP and your self defense round, you need to get enough rounds in with your carry ammo to consider it reliable enough to trust your life to it. I would say minimally 400 consecutive trouble free rounds. Finally, the 1911 is not what I feel is a novice's pistol. It has many advantages and some disadvantages. You need to familiarize yourself with the 1911's manual of arms by getting some training and range time in. Dry fire practice is great, but I would #1) make sure no ammunition is in the same room while you are doing this and #2) not drop the slide on an empty chamber - lower it gently. If you haven't received training prior to doing any type of dry fire drills you may be reinforcing bad habits. Ask on some of the forums like 1911forum about reputable classes/instructors.

Yes it does. The magwell has been more than likely silver soldered on and they did a good job. Typically it cost close to $200.00 to weld one on, so you got a steal on the pistol

I can shoot it. No problem. I was holding 5" groups tonight at 25yds offhand. Only the second time I have shot it. Have been around guns all my life. Just never got very interested in the internals before last year. If I had a gun and didn't like something it went to the smith. Kinda like Tom Cruse in Days of Thunder. He can drive but don't know Shit about why it goes so fast. Probably more laziness for me. I just like things done right. Problem with this gun is I have very limited access with a 1911. All my friends have Sigs & Glocks. I just got lucky, a guy at the range let me shoot his and I fell in love.

Very nice pickup and for an outstanding price. You did well. For other interesed in 1911's that will read this thread, I say do what you did.. get a good used higher end gun like a Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, STI etc.. As you have shown.. there are many good deals to be had out there if you take the time to look.

$1500 seems like a luxurious amount to spend on a first 1911 but I would be a liar if I said I don't enjoy treating myself also. I have a Kimber custom TLE II. I love it and every one of my friends who has shot it loves it. I did have a problem with it jamming alot upon purchase. I figured out the extractor needed a little more arc so I bent it a little (needed to read up on the subject and be careful about it) and it has never jammed for thousands of rounds after this.