• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing looking to head to Wyoming this year

Jason Wells

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
Staunton VA
I'm starting to plan a trip to Wyoming this fall for a DIY Antelope and Mule Deer hunt. It'll be public land and camping. I was wondering if any of you had suggestions or tips to get me started. I'm working on getting the area maps printed and getting my apps filled out for the licenses. I don't expect to shoot an 18" goat or a 200" deer, a reasonable example of each species done on my own under my own terms is all I want. Going with a rifle to help my weak hunting skills!

Re: looking to head to Wyoming this year

How long will you be hunting? only reason I ask is that many areas will have a fairly large gap between opening antelope season and opening deer. You can still hunt both at the same time, but in many heavy hunted public areas the goats will be very skittish by deer season.

I would look for an area that has an early general deer season so you don't have to worry about drawing two tags, and depending on your time frame, an earlier start.

I should have 10 days on the ground. I'm a little behind now trying to figure out where I can hunt both starting at the same time. I hope to find areas that I can get back far off the main roads and hunt, I don't mind rough country or long hikes, kind prefer it that way.

Region B for deer, and Area 7 for Antelope

Lots of government land and/or Private Land Walk In Area Access.

If you put in for and get drawn for those areas get with me and I'll give you some good places to find deer and antelope. Both areas open Oct 1-15, I'd recommend starting hunting on the 1st.

You can camp in these areas.

You really need to decide which part of the state you're interested in hunting, and focus your attention there. I live/hunt primarily in the SW part of the state. 2.5hr drive from Salt Lake City, UT. Lots of good overlapping seasons here, all public land hunting areas.

Then you'll need to decide if you want to apply for non-resident special draw application areas or if you want "general" over-the-counter tags/areas.

Camping is easy just about everywhere in Wyoming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Region B for deer, and Area 7 for Antelope

Lots of government land and/or Private Land Walk In Area Access.

If you put in for and get drawn for those areas get with me and I'll give you some good places to find deer and antelope. Both areas open Oct 1-15, I'd recommend starting hunting on the 1st.

You can camp in these areas.</div></div>

I wish more members on this board were as nice and willing to help as you are. I know places to hunt these days are hard to come by, but any advice for us non resident guys is greatly appreciated.

I made trip up to Wyoming in 2011 just for a scouting/coyote hunting trip, all on public land. I asked for some tips/advice from folks here and you'd think I was asking for the GPS coordinates to their elk hunting honey hole.

KraigWY, your helpfulness and generosity is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dito that, I appreciate the help, saves me a lot of time, money and frustration. For logistics sake I am looking to hunt in the south-eastern corner of the state, simply to save a few hours drive time, I'm coming from Virgnia. However, if the hunting in that corner of the state really stinks or public land is skinny, then I'll drive a few more hours, whats the difference between 22 hours and 25 hours if it makes a big difference in the hunt! Thanks again guys!

Jason,

I was in Casper in 2011. I hunted/scouted the Shirley Basin area. It's all BLM land. I saw literally hundreds of antelope while scouting and I was there the first weekend of November, so they had already been hunted alot. You would have had no problems taking a decent antelope.

The only mule deer I seen were in the front yards of the houses at the base of the mountains right there on the edge of Casper. There were some monster bucks eating grass right in the front yards.

The motel 6 there is actually very nice for a Motel 6. Washer & Dryer, hot breakfast, clean rooms.

If I can be of any help, let me know.

Casper is certainly the place for Antelope. I have hunted Shirley Basin a few times and there are antelope all over. I do not know much about deer in that area. The meetetse area is also a great place for an antelope/mule deer combo. There is a lot of private land but good public access if you do your homework. The big ranches will let you print a permission slip online. If you go to meetetse though, plan on coming at the end of the antelope season and killing your antelope first and your deer later in the week. the bigger deer move in later after we start to get some weather.

I am also really interesting in putting in for Wyoming this year. I had a friend get drawn 2 years ago and he put in for area 125 in Region F Nonresident. I have never been to Wyoming so I am kinda going off what he said and that there is lots of public land in area 125 and that the deer are very good size. Do any of you guys live in the area that could shed a little more light on this area and the ease of access.

Also, I know they give me 3 chances to fill out what areas I would like to get drawn for. Are there other good areas with public land in the northwest corner that are worth putting in for?

Oh and btw the nonresident hunts must be put in for by area not region.

Thanks for any info you guys can give.

First off, thanks to everyone for their help! I've been trying to figure out the difference between the "special" license and the general full price license. The cost for the special non resident is close to double the general, all I can find on the DNR website so far is that the special is held in a separate drawing. I can't find mention of increased odd's or what would be the benefit of paying an extra couple hundred plus dollars for that license. Boy, I should have gotten my butt in gear earlier! Thanks again guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason Wells</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off, thanks to everyone for their help! I've been trying to figure out the difference between the "special" license and the general full price license. The cost for the special non resident is close to double the general, all I can find on the DNR website so far is that the special is held in a separate drawing. I can't find mention of increased odd's or what would be the benefit of paying an extra couple hundred plus dollars for that license. Boy, I should have gotten my butt in gear earlier! Thanks again guys. </div></div>

I read on this that there is no difference between the two licenses other then the cost and that they are drawn separate from each other. The idea was that the extra cost would deter some folks from that drawing pool thus bettering the odds because of the smaller number of people willing to pay the extra money. I personally am just going to put in for the regular one and build up points that way. The difference in odds where not worth the extra cost to me. Cant remember the magazine I read this in but its sitting on my cousins coffee table.