• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking to upgrade my scope for NRL22

achancesw

Private
Minuteman
I have a CZ 455 with a Nikon P-TACTICAL Riflescope 300BLK 2-7X32

This was my cheap entry into distance shooting. I've shot 3-4 matches and I am STRUGGLING with longer shots. My range always does several 100+ yard stages, all the way out to 300 yards.

What scope would you recommend for $500 or less?

thanks

Price range may help otherwise everyone is just going to say go out and buy a nice $4k scope.

edit
somehow I managed to miss that you posted a price. That’s what I get for speed reading.

Last edited:
I went with the Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 - 6-24x50 - it's in the same price range as the Vortex DB Tactical.

I'm in no way affiliated with them, but if you buy from MK Machining, it comes with a free throw lever & scope level. :cool:

Good luck,
Bob S.

Are you LE/Mil? If you are there are a couple really good scopes out there for right around $500. The new Vortex Strike Eagle comes to mind. It would be within your budget at about $479. If not I would give Doug at Cameraland a call and see what he can do for you on a Athlon Midas Tac. It’s about a perfect rimfire scope and is just a little over your budget. You need to call Doug though and not just shop off the web site. If you can catch one on the PX you will be able to get one for under $500 more than likely. I know I sold one not long ago with the sun shade and rings for $475. One thing I would really look for is a scope with 10 mils per rev turrets and a real zero stop. With a rimfire you will be dialing up to 20 mils of elevation sometimes and those 5 mil per rev turrets can be a real PITA. Especially when you go back to zero your turret and go a full revolution below zero because you lost count and don’t have a zero stop.

Reactions: NewsShooter
I concur on the zero stop. Very, very handy when you have (what I believe to be) limited time. I would also add to the discussion to really pay attention to the reticle design and pick one that you can easily read/understand. I bought almost all my glass on some sort of closeout deal and didn't really consider the reticle. It was what it was, so to speak. Having shot only a couple NRL22 matches I do find the ability to quickly find a hold over important. I dial most of the time when I can, so I don't have to think about anything but the crosshairs. I will say a couple of stages now have alternated between two distances a lot and simply holding saves seconds each shot.

All that said, I mostly like my Ares BTR. So far my only real complaint is an overly stiff parallax. Otherwise, if you can find it used/closeout for ~$500 it is a nice scope with a sensible reticle.