• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looks like Amex has gone WOKE

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Still the best card out there but fuck, this is disappointing. This photo was in their add this morning, checks a lot of political correct boxes.:sick: I have eyebleach for sale at a discount.

1702394444284.png

Does anyone have a reason why getting a credit card from your local credit union is a good or bad idea? I have cards from several of the big outfits but I'm considering just getting a local CC.

Reactions: Huskydriver
    Does anyone have a reason why getting a credit card from your local credit union is a good or bad idea? I have cards from several of the big outfits but I'm considering just getting a local CC.
    Even from your local bank they will use Visa or Mastercard, the local bank just contracts with them. Amex does take good care of their customers.

Even from your local bank they will use Visa or Mastercard, the local bank just contracts with them. Amex does take good care of their customers.
    Right. They are the credit processor. I just mean is there any reason to not use your local institution instead of direct from the bigger guys.

Right. They are the credit processor. I just mean is there any reason to not use your local institution instead of direct from the bigger guys.
    Not that I can see. Any account service will be conducted through the processor website or 800#

ALWAYS conduct your finances through an independent bank or local CU. The money center banks don't need to pad their liberal coffers from your hard earned money!

Disgusting ad ! Just like most ads now.
    Cash is best. But they make it harder and harder to use! They want full financial control.
    They get that thru a cashless society! Without financial freedom of cash . We get stuff like this AD forced on us!
    So tired of fascist corporations and their DEI bullshit.

The biggest thing to look at is credit reporting. As long as you have a great relationship with your lender no matter the bank, your credit report will be shining for all to see. Just be aware that not all lenders report the good more so than the bad history of your relationship with them. Amex and Capital One seem to be the best these days for being loyal to their loyal customers. Small credit unions most likely use second party credit banks for actual credit cards if I’m not mistaking! Do the work and ask them the benefit if there are any for using them versus big banks.

Reactions: Charmingmander
    The biggest thing to look at is credit reporting. As long as you have a great relationship with your lender no matter the bank, your credit report will be shining for all to see. Just be aware that not all lenders report the good more so than the bad history of your relationship with them. Amex and Capital One seem to be the best these days for being loyal to their loyal customers. Small credit unions most likely use second party credit banks for actual credit cards if I’m not mistaking! Do the work and ask them the benefit of there are any for using them versus big banks.
    Good point on them using a secondary! Thanks for the tip.

AMEX is mostly a cash cow, taking from the merchants and giving to the CC company. If the card owner is late on a payment, interest rates are very high. Their rates to merchants is high. I am self employed, and will never take AMEX.

I give a cash/check discount to my customers. Someone I know has a local boat repair business. After paying $35k is fees one year, they now give a cash discount of 3.5%.

AMEX is mostly a cash cow, taking from the merchants and giving to the CC company. If the card owner is late on a payment, interest rates are very high. Their rates to merchants is high. I am self employed, and will never take AMEX.

I give a cash/check discount to my customers. Someone I know has a local boat repair business. After paying $35k is fees one year, they now give a cash discount of 3.5%.
    Yep, the rate goes to about 29%. The takeaway, dont be late.

Reactions: Redheeler
    Amex was the 1st CC I ever had , and I used it exclusively for years until banks started offering cards with no yearly fee , I think Amex was still charging 75 a year , I dropped them years ago and never have paid a dime for a card since, and always pay off the balance monthly, only rarely have I not paid a balance off monthly, once in the last 8 yrs IIRC .

Advantage to big name credit cards is rewards programs - if you want a great rewards program search up the card that fits your needs.

What I get from my local credit union visa is amazing support. I use this CC for any sketchy online stuff, and have had problems over the years. Never once has my local credit union even blinked twice before giving me my money back. Process is quick and easy to do to request a protest to a charge.

All credit companies are woke and have stupid policies, need to find the small details about one or another that fit your needs

Why would a company express or embrace political BS?
    I can see why Nike did so, inner cities compose most of their market. Lost on why Levis went woke. Bud Light, or Budweiser? Ruin sales of top selling beer.
    Wouldn't be easier to pronounce: We are in the business to make money, for this company, our shareholders, provide employment opportunities, making a difference in the US economy. If individual employees have certain views or opinions, they are their own and not company sponsored.
    But No, we want men to suck dick, trans to ruin women's sports and so on.
    I am too old for this shit.

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    Advantage to big name credit cards is rewards programs - if you want a great rewards program search up the card that fits your needs.

What I get from my local credit union visa is amazing support. I use this CC for any sketchy online stuff, and have had problems over the years. Never once has my local credit union even blinked twice before giving me my money back. Process is quick and easy to do to request a protest to a charge.

All credit companies are woke and have stupid policies, need to find the small details about one or another that fit your needs
    Which CU do you use in Cville...I used to use the UVA Credit Union, they were good but I preferred BB&T now Truist.

I have the Amex Hilton Honors Surpass. No fee, and I have near 500,000 points I can use for free nights. Used them to stay at the Beverly Hilton for 5 days when UVA played USC in SoCal. I had a pool deck suite. Over he years I've had mabve half a dozen disputes and Amex stood behind me on every one. As a Diamond member if I lose the card the overnight me a new one.

Never leave home without it. 🤣

My 'local' credit union is up in the communist part of northern VA, or was, they are virtual now. I also have a CU I use still in Alabama. Don't see a reason to join one in C-ville since I am not staying here long term. The shared services credit union partnership allows me to use local branches here almost like I was a direct customer.

I have a 30 year old Amex Platinum that has treated me well, and I know no one will believe this since Amex Platinum cards charge like $400 a year, but mine is no annual fee and has a decent rewards program. I had one bad experience with Amex in 30 years.

Amex is still a giant machine and you are nothing but a number.

Reactions: JIMB3AM and Maggot
    It all comes down to costumer service. Sometimes local banks just don’t have the man power to take care of their costumers afterhours.

I can see why Nike did so, inner cities compose most of their market. Lost on why Levis went woke. Bud Light, or Budweiser? Ruin sales of top selling beer.
    Wouldn't be easier to pronounce: We are in the business to make money, for this company, our shareholders, provide employment opportunities, making a difference in the US economy. If individual employees have certain views or opinions, they are their own and not company sponsored.
    Because alphabet peoples money is green. More customers is more.

Reactions: Charmingmander
    They do it in order to maintain their corporate ESG rating. It's sort of like a credit score but it measures their adherence to woke/leftist "values". That's how deep this crap has burrowed into corporate America.

7% of the population at 70% higher than average median income. Seems straight forward to me.

It's a targeted ad. They're not trying to turn you gay, they're trying to get more gay people to use Amex.

And you're being served that ad because......

AMEX has been woke for many years, this is nothing new just more in your face. But they do have the best CS in the industry IMO, but I have reduced my use of the card to a trickle because of their political idiocy.