• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looks like the barrel is shot out, need a new one

Black-X

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
Kentucky
Traded for a .300wm and first 2 groups out were under MOA. After that, it went to crap. I finally got time to get it to my smith and it has some fire cracking, some throat erosion, and the crown had a couple bad places. I went ahead and asked him to "polish" the barrel and recrown it but I've got a feeling it won't last too long regardless.

Soooooo, I need a .300wm barrel for my Rem. 700 but I'm not sure what. I'm thinking 26-28" using a Krieger or Rock barrel but the price is always a consideration.. 1:10 twist good or is there something better I should look at? I'm planning on using 208 amax bullets and 190gr SMKs. Anything else I need to know before going forward?

Thanks,

-X

Re: Looks like the barrel is shot out, need a new one

go with a benchmark barrel. you will be very happy. 1-10 is fine

Are there long wait times on good barrels? Or say, can I order one up on Monday and have it here in a week or so?

-X

If you want to save a little money but get a great barrel go with a BRUX Barrel! I have one on my badger build in 300wm. you would not regret it.

Talk with Mark at Short Action Customs.
RWS Gunsmithing built mine!

I picked up a Shilen on clearance at Midway for $200. 28", 1:10, Contour 8.

I would also suggest Brux or Broughton. Ive nothing but great service from both..

I would buy the barrel, but hang onto it until the original gives unmistakable evidence of failure.

It would help to be able to determine whether the accuracy degradation and the compromised crown occurred simultaneously.

Also, what frequently appears to be a failing barrel will respond favorably to a thorough cleaning.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would buy the barrel, but hang onto it until the original gives unmistakable evidence of failure.

It would help to be able to determine whether the accuracy degradation and the compromised crown occurred simultaneously.

Also, what frequently appears to be a failing barrel will respond favorably to a thorough cleaning.

Greg </div></div>

I got the rifle in trade and the first couple of groups out were under MOA at 100yds so I thought all was good. Couldn't repeat the groups with the same load later. The following groups on later days varied from *slightly* under MOA to 1.5-2MOA at 100yds depending on the load. I've tried a bunch of different loads with the current barrel and I'm down to the last 6 (30rds, 6 5-round groups) loads I'm willing to try since I don't want to waste anymore time or ammo. Win some, lose some and I think I got the short end of the stick this time..

I think I may give the Brux barrel a try if they can get a barrel made up in a resonable time or if they have them in stock. If not, I'll look at Rock, Lilja, and Krieger. I hear Shilen is pretty good but I've also heard that they aren't up to par with the others I mentioned. Can't decide on a contour though!!!

-X

You have already determined that your barrel is capable of sub MOA accuracy, have it set back and rechambered for less money than a new barrel and then if that does not satisfy you then go with a new barrel. I would bet that you will be happy with the results and have some cash left over for more trigger time.

Food for thought.

I would make another suggestion that you shouldnt waste your money on the set back and rechamber. If you arent happy with the accuracy move onto the new barrel. You will wait a few weeks but your end result will be better then spending time and money on the barrel you already have on the rifle.

not to mention peace of mind when you get on the range.