• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes loose rings on mount

dumbgrunt

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2013
Green Bay,wi
Hey gents,
As you guys can see I'm a new member but a long time reader. Anyways I just picked up a set of nightforce bases (2 piece) and a set of badger rings. When I place the rings on the bases there's slop in the rails. What am I missing here? Did I pull a rookie mistake? Any advice is welcome.

For scope bases and rails that have a little slop in them, before you tighten the ring crossbolt to the base, push the scope forward (toward the muzzle) and then tighten the crossbolts. This will have the scope ring crossbolt butt up against the edge of the base. It will create a tight fit and shouldn't move during recoil.

Make sure the "jaws" are aligned with the rail so when you tighten them they are seating correctly.

We have handled a number of customer service issues where rings are loose because the rail is not truly 1913 spec. Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but is really a DOG. I can't say that about the two piece NF bases, but keep it in mind as apsis lie cause.

Thanks guys. I made sure that the clamps were aligned before tightening. I'm going to push one ring forward against the forward slot and one back so it makes a sandwich between the rails. Is this acceptable or should I do what "flight" said and have both forward. .