• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LOP on the PRS stock

Re: LOP on the PRS stock

Its more or less a preference thing I believe, I have mine set fairly long as I am a taller guy. Try lengths until it feels right.

from your other topic, you are using the .308 version that has a shorter cheek rest to work with the longer charging handle. My adjustment was to add an additional 1 1/4 inches of rubber spacers and run the stock all the way out to avoid hanging off the cheek rest. With thicker clothes in cold weather I run the stock in for consistent fit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">from your other topic, you are using the .308 version that has a shorter cheek rest to work with the longer charging handle. My adjustment was to add an additional 1 1/4 inches of rubber spacers and run the stock all the way out to avoid hanging off the cheek rest. With thicker clothes in cold weather I run the stock in for consistent fit </div></div>

i really like this idea, can i ask where you purchased the spacers?

so far i have found these:

http://www.botachtactical.com/maexrubu.html
it only adds a half inch...

I use a rubber matt, about 3/16 that was ground up tires, trace it out and cut with a knife, after I pile up the layers(sometimes sticking them together with black RTV) I use a mini grinder to smooth/even them up

they use standard screws on the PRS so it is easy to change out to longer machine screws(I think they were 10-24)

photos posted in a build thread

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=212148&Number=2386255#top

DPMS makes a 1" spacer that goes between the reciever and the stock. They have it listed as an ar-15 part, but it fits on ar-10's, without it I had to extend the PRS butt all the way and it was just barely where I needed it, but I wanted to have it in the middle of it's range to suit thicker or thinner clothing, and be adjustable for other shooters... I also wanted the butt pad thicker, so I took a regular old T6 style ar-15 butt pad, got busy with a box cutter and some shears, hollowed out some of the inside, rounded off the top corner, strapped it on with a few zip ties and I was in business.

I just posted about this on another thread, so don't anyone go giving me a hard time for repeating myself.

I have never been able to get comfortable behind a PRS. Dont know what it is about it.

I love my PRS, but mine isn't for precision. I use it on my 3 gun/carbine match gun. It is excellent at balancing out the 20" heavy barrel and gives me the proper sight picture and LOP. Great stock. I'm 6'2 and have it set almost all the way out.

tell me about it..

what i am going to do when i have free time is to set my mcm a5 next to my gas gun and measure somewhat how far i am away from the scopes/ cheek piece on the a5, then try to get around that same distance on the prs.

so comparing the two stocks. there is probably a half inch length difference between a fully extended PRS stock and the mcm a5 stock.

the magpul spacer seems like the perfect option

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DPMS makes a 1" spacer that goes between the reciever and the stock. They have it listed as an ar-15 part, but it fits on ar-10's, without it I had to extend the PRS butt all the way and it was just barely where I needed it, but I wanted to have it in the middle of it's range to suit thicker or thinner clothing, and be adjustable for other shooters... I also wanted the butt pad thicker, so I took a regular old T6 style ar-15 butt pad, got busy with a box cutter and some shears, hollowed out some of the inside, rounded off the top corner, strapped it on with a few zip ties and I was in business.

I just posted about this on another thread, so don't anyone go giving me a hard time for repeating myself. </div></div>

I looked at that spacer, but it does not help with the head being in front of the riser, It would work for long arms with a short neck

Yes and no. The DPMS spacer may not work for every individual. If it is an issue of maintianing eye relief, then you'll want to set your rings farther back on the rail and/or slide your scope back farther in the rings. Unless of course you already have your scope as far back as it goes. This mod may also lead to an aftermarket charging handle since your scope won't leave much space to reach in and grab the factory latch.

If it is a matter of getting a good shoulder purchase while placing your cheek weld on the comb riser; and the PRS, as is with the butt extended all the way, has you too scrunched up, then butt pad extension is the way to go.

For me it took a combination of the two, but you know... everyone is a beautiful and unique snowflake.

If this all leaves you more confuesd, you could always use some wood blocks and tape to mock up a few different configurations for a bit of dry fire and see what gets you to that sweet spot.

Magpul list the maximum LOP for the ar-10 PRS at 15.3"

as I recall traditionally LOP is measured from the middle of the trigger to the pocket of your shoulder in a straight line. Get as straight as possible in the prone posion directly behind your rifle, then have a friend measure should be a good starting point. Shooter prefernce, thickness of clothing as previously stated, and your posture all will effect your individual LOP. I am 6'3" tall and I prefer maxed out setting. Also magpul sells a rubber buttpad that will apparently add an additional .80 inches.

thanks for the replies

now with photo of my toy

last range trip i did switch to the non swivel bipod. and i did find a rear bag that worked perfectly. My groups did shrink a little bit but still not acceptable from what i've read from others.

9407.jpg