• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Loss of Love for Leupold. What Next?

Thanks to the OP for the response. A few more questions. What power was your scope set on for your shot? When you shot, where were your cross hairs? Same question for the second shot. What rifle were you shooting? How many rounds downrange did this exact rifle/scope and exact bullet have. Were you using the exact same rounds for hunting as for sighting in? When you sighted in did you shoot off bags or a rest or use sticks? When you took both shots at the bull were you shooting off sticks? Have you used this combo and taken other game? What muzzle device does this rifle have? Were the rounds handloads or factory ammo? If handloads, what powder?

What was the bulls reaction after the first shot? Second shot? How far did you track the bull? The target above: Did you shoot it or someone else. Was it off sticks or a rest?

Cheers, Steve

Let’s be honest, most hunters that think there great suck. Most can’t get a mile from the truck and most flinch at the moment. Track record of bulls is what talks. Most hunters don’t put there equipment in situations that’s giving it much of a chance to fail. I said it’s always the scopes fault cause it’s typically a lack of training or skill to repeatedly make the shot so equipment always gets blamed. Does sound like you know enough to figure out the truth. I’ve never had a leupold, nightforce or trijicon the three brands I’ve always used fail on me and I use my shit hard but I also know those have all failed for others.

Reactions: Shootinleftyflip
Don't take this the wrong way, but now the problem is you. More specifically, your mindset. You are convinced Leupolds suck, or are prone to failure, because you had one shit the bed at the exact wrong time. But do know this, all mechanical shit breaks. Trust me, I have been there. Even if you aren't convinced, there is always going to be that little nagging thought in the back of your mind every time you see that Leupold sitting on top of your rifle. You could conceivably get another scope the exact same model, or get that one fixed and you may not have a single issue ever again. And I am saying this coming from an extremely sympathetic place. Every time something like this happens to me, no matter what discipline or hobby, I always discount that brand immediately in my mind. Confidence goes out the door, second guessing begins.

I would say just for confidence sake, go with another brand. This forum is chock full of information on millions of other scopes. Also chock full of a million threads about "mine never breaks and I have had 100 of these scopes". Or the famous "x brand sucks!" Or "x brand is the best!". There are so many choices out there these days that odds are you will end up with a good choice. For what it's worth, I would echo some of the above recommending the AMG. Seems like a good choice for the shots you may take and the country you hunt. Not to mention I think they are the most "MADE IN THE USA" scope out there right now. Or you could get a NF, or S&B, or Bushie, or ZCO, or......

Reactions: BigBlastin300win
Don't take this the wrong way, but now the problem is you. More specifically, your mindset. You are convinced Leupolds suck, or are prone to failure, because you had one shit the bed at the exact wrong time. But do know this, all mechanical shit breaks. Trust me, I have been there. Even if you aren't convinced, there is always going to be that little nagging thought in the back of your mind every time you see that Leupold sitting on top of your rifle. You could conceivably get another scope the exact same model, or get that one fixed and you may not have a single issue ever again. And I am saying this coming from an extremely sympathetic place. Every time something like this happens to me, no matter what discipline or hobby, I always discount that brand immediately in my mind. Confidence goes out the door, second guessing begins.

I would say just for confidence sake, go with another brand. This forum is chock full of information on millions of other scopes. Also chock full of a million threads about "mine never breaks and I have had 100 of these scopes". Or the famous "x brand sucks!" Or "x brand is the best!". There are so many choices out there these days that odds are you will end up with a good choice. For what it's worth, I would echo some of the above recommending the AMG. Seems like a good choice for the shots you may take and the country you hunt. Not to mention I think they are the most "MADE IN THE USA" scope out there right now. Or you could get a NF, or S&B, or Bushie, or ZCO, or......
No offense taken. and I agree 100%, we both have them same tendency for doubt when we have a failure. I had a brand new bowtech blow a limb and come apart in my hand in the final round of a 3D shoot, took me a few years before I shot a bowtech again, but I love my reign 6 I have now.
As I said in my other comments I know, that it is now a mind game. I could go buy another VX6HD tomorrow and never have a problem again. From a statistics standpoint my gen1 pst probably should have died by now but hasn't. MY leupold let me down at the moment of truth, but I know there are many others who have had good luck and many others who haven't. This is my first go, back at running a lighter duty scope, and I got the short end of the stick. I might consider running a Mark 5, but for now I don't feel comfortable with a VX6HD, Love everything about the design and glass but the wound is still too fresh in my mind. Maybe Ill give them another go on my next rifle but for now I'm going to pass. I'm sure my scope will come back just fine, but for now I need to go a different route. I think the AMG is a great scope it just was out of my budget at the time. it would be cool if the came out with like a 4-20 or something with just a little lower bottom end.

Reactions: shields shtr
Failure to hold zero. Two in the upper right are where it was at hundred yards with the scope set at zero stops. after I missed that bull. Third shot is center high after I adjusted back before moving back to confirm 200 zero. Ran around the mountain for roughly a week, with it on my pack carrying it in my hand and busting brush. The only so called “mishap” it had was it fell off my shooting sticks and landed on my upper shin/knee pad while sitting glassing. Hardly what I would consider a mishap but maybe that constitutes a hard fall in your guys eyes 🤷🏽‍♀️but definitely not mine.
What does your "cold shot" look like? I have one gun that really throws the first shot then tunes right in...not a very good hunting gun.

Night force UL rings on a defiance rail. Everything was torqued properly and blue loctited.
I’ve had to return two Leupold scopes and neither was a new model. Loose internals. One was a 1x handgun scope on a 454 Casull. The other on a 223 SAKO Varmint. 3.5x10 VX3. Never a problem with NF, Zeiss Or Swarovski

No offense taken. and I agree 100%, we both have them same tendency for doubt when we have a failure. I had a brand new bowtech blow a limb and come apart in my hand in the final round of a 3D shoot, took me a few years before I shot a bowtech again, but I love my reign 6 I have now.
As I said in my other comments I know, that it is now a mind game. I could go buy another VX6HD tomorrow and never have a problem again. From a statistics standpoint my gen1 pst probably should have died by now but hasn't. MY leupold let me down at the moment of truth, but I know there are many others who have had good luck and many others who haven't. This is my first go, back at running a lighter duty scope, and I got the short end of the stick. I might consider running a Mark 5, but for now I don't feel comfortable with a VX6HD, Love everything about the design and glass but the wound is still too fresh in my mind. Maybe Ill give them another go on my next rifle but for now I'm going to pass. I'm sure my scope will come back just fine, but for now I need to go a different route. I think the AMG is a great scope it just was out of my budget at the time. it would be cool if the came out with like a 4-20 or something with just a little lower bottom end.
According to a reliable source on this forum @Glassaholic there is a new scope rumored that would fit your bill nicely.

I know there is always the hope that some new product is just a month away (always just another month...) but with Shotshow next week and a few other reliable rumors floating around if you are able to wait a month or so it may pay off.