• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lost my buddy last night.

Re: Lost my buddy last night.

Mechanic,

You sent me some info about hip dysplasia and shepherds. You also told me about Ruger. I know you hate it, brother.

My shepherd Frank is about 12yo as far as the vet and I can tell. He was about 6 when he decided he would rather stay with me than at the pound- they hated to see him leave. Smartest guy I have ever met. Loves kids, cats(non-mutual affection), squirrels, etc. I have him on glucosamine/chondroitin and aspirin.

It is a shame that the "lights are still on," but the infrastructure is failing.

(I am tearing up thinking about The Day for Frank)

gotta go

Very sorry to hear about your loss. I know how special they are to a family and will keep your family in my thoughts.

The Deramax and Tramidal gave him at least a good year beyond what I think he would have had. We tried a new drug with him that is supposed to be the new arthritis miricle called Amantaine it did not seem to work all to well. Made him kind of drowsy so we stopped using it.

A dog will be better to you than people, and is a member of your family just as much as anyone else. I'm really sorry for your loss, and I pray his memories will stay with you and yours for your lifetimes.

When summer time comes around and my daughter is out of school we are going to look for another dog. Wife is not doing so good today. After she would drop the daughter off at school she would come home and fix the dogs breakfast. Toast with peanut butter and just talk to them for a while before she got her day started. I guess the routine getting broken is just as bad. The house seems real quite.

Sorry for your loss I just did this about 6 months ago with one of mine. Wife was deathly sick at the time and it was my dog, which made it worse, so I had to do the 45 min ride to and from the vet alone let’s say it was the longest trip home. Pictures and memories last a lifetime!

Sorry for your loss. My pup has a horrible lifespan 6-7 on average. And im already fearing that day 1-1/2 years in.

I just lost my girl on Valentines day. She was 16 and my best friend. I knew it was coming but never thought it would be so hard. I cried like a little girl for a day. Not a day goes by without thinking about her. My thoughts are with you. It gets easier as time passes.

I know it will get easier as time goes by and I am sorry you lost yours. Difficult trying to be strong for the family when I don't feel very strong. Second time I have cried since I was a kid. Once for my mom when she passed away Jan 2009 and now with my pooch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+Infinity. My thoughts take me back a few years though, so it might be selfish...</div></div>
Difficult to not be selfish. I would give an arm and leg to give him a few more years. Then I would end up having to give more in a few. 12 years was a good run. I am glad I took a lot of pictures and video so I don't forget all the good times.

I hate hear that . Sorry for your loss. When I lost mine I didnt think I would get another . So glad I did !!!

So many have never experienced the love and loyalty of a dog and don't understand the immense loss you have suffered.

They are pure souls and live to please us and ask for very little.Our German Shepard was with us for 12 years and although a "good run"-we too wanted more. We lost 2 beautiful loving Rottweillers to cancer,our female lived 7 years,we then got a male and 6 years later we went through the same pain- and to this day I can't bring myself to have another dog.

Words can't bring you comfort. Your memories will probably give you more grief initially-but time will make things easier.

Brother, I know exactly how you feel- I am so sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss. My dog was with my family for 14 years. A constant companion when I was home from age 7 to 21. I was away when when the end came, I wish I could have said goodbye. I have few childhood memories without her. It's always devastating to say the least. I wish you the best and sorry for your loss. Just be thankful for the years you had... I know I am.

Mechanic, I know what you are going through. My first GSD was 15 when I had to do the same thing and agonized over when to make the decision. After 4 or 5 months I couldn't take it any longer and got another GSD from a breeder in S.C.. She was as good if not better in some ways. At 11 years old her spleen ruptured on our daily walk, and I had to put her down the next morning; I still miss her. I'm on No. 3 now.
I know you thought the world of Ruger and I am truely sorry for your loss. I hope you get another GSD, and I hope he is as good as Ruger.

OK guys I went and did it. The family went out and picked him up tonight. His name is Jake and he is 10 weeks old. Pretty big paws so I think he will be a pretty big boy.
Jake.jpg