• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LOW BUDGET .22 SIL RIFLE/TRAINER - barrel length

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
In another installment on the Low Budget Trainer project, LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - start to "finish" this addition deals with shortening the barrel.

Barrel length - many say shortening the barrel increases accuraccy by reducing the "whip", harmonics, or even the velocity and the amount of drag on a bullet as it has to go through the rifling once the powder is burnt up (usually said in the first 16" of length). I decided I wanted to find out firsthand myself, so I decided to cut the barrel on my Savage MKII "F" model which was a rifle intended on "doing it yourself" with many projects - this one no exception, but a little riskier.

Once I convinced myself that I can do it with simple tools and accepting that I may in fact ruin a barrel and have to purchase another, I started the project. Qualified gunsmiths and the weak of heart may be forewarned, this is truly primitive way to do it.

The MKII F used came with an advertised barrel length of 20". When measuring with a cleaning rod and a closed bolt it measures 21 1/8", and from the muzzle to the receiver 19.75". Pick how you want to measure it, I shortened it by 2", and it improved group size.

First some tools I used - hacksaw with new blade, a reloading case chamfer tool, a metal file and sandpaper (for smoothing out the saw marks), a pip cleaner (for keeping debris from going down the barrel), a fuel injector fuel line clamp 13-15mm (to put on the barrel to help guide the saw blade for a straighter cut), a slotted screwdriver, and of course "Perma Blue" blueing pen to blue the modification on the muzzle.
tools.jpg

I measured where I wanted to start cutting (-1" from muzzle as I was also doing aan ammo / FPS / group test for every inch cut), placed and tightened the clamp with a slotted screw driver, then inserted the pipe cleaner (doubled over). I made the cut toward the muzzle side of the clamp so as not to mark any finish on the main barrel (between the clamp and front sight was 1" and where I would cut).
clamponbarrel.jpg

mkiifcuttingbarrel.jpg

mkiifcuttingbarrel2.jpg

I then used the file and sandpaper to get an even flat muzzle and to get rid of any saw marks. With the file I lightly (at a 45 deg. angle) went around the outside of the barrel to take off any burrs and sharp edges. I then took the chamfer tool to crown the muzzle opening and to remove burrs. I did some testing with the -1", then repeated it all again to cut off another 1" for a total of 2".
mkiibarrelsectioned.jpg

(This picture is from a previous crowning)
MKIIFMAKINGCROWN.jpg

Note the "STAR" from the even crowning - had I thought about it earlier, I would have painted it white to help show this better.
mkiibarrelstar.jpg

mkiibarrelmuzzle2.jpg

I cleaned the bare metal with acetone to remove any oils and residue, then touched it up with the Perma Blue pen, which did an excellent job, this photo does not do it justice.
mkiibarrelmuzzle3.jpg

A side benefit (other than reducing groups by 1/4" at 50 yards and 1/2" or more at 100 yards) is that the shorter barrel seemed to balance the rifle better and gave it a more "custom tacticool" look, which is actually tough to capture in a photo of the "improved" stance.

So to get a "sleeker, meaner stance" and IMHO a better shooting and handling rifle, it took at the most an hour to cut, file / sand, and finish the barrel. Of course most of us have these things on hand which would lower the cost, but if had to be purchased:

Hacksaw - $4.99
Saw Blades - $2.99
Presto (Perma) Blue pen - $5.25
File / sandpaper - around $5.00 for both
Chamfer tool - ranges from $2.00 to $18.00 - calling it $10.00.
Fuel infector line clamps - $ 2.99
Pipe cleaner - $ ? (can use paper towel, cotton ball, etc. also)
Flat blade screw driver - $3.25

Total for the barrel shortening: $34.47 - if having to buy all the tools used.

Does the shorter sporter barrel perform as well as the bull target rifle barrel? Not quite, HOWEVER it is an improvement on how the sporter barrel performed before - link to the test Shortening barrel length

Re: LOW BUDGET .22 SIL RIFLE/TRAINER - barrel length

Awesome write up TP!
I'd like to see the work you did on the Ammo and Chrono comparisons, did I miss this or is it still coming?
Cheers,
Shaz

dang i didn't know they made sunshades for them scopes I had picked one up but shooting into the sun (my range is set up funky) the wash out was ridiculous. maybe I'll grab another one and a sunshade. unless you would advise against it. it would be going on a 22lr also.

I just bought a Mark II FV and was considering doing this very thing. After I shoot it, I'll give it a whack and see if there is any improvement. Note, screwing it up just means I have to take it to my smith to fix it. I'm thinking 17" finished. That gives me 1" to spare in case (when) I do screw it up.

Good write ups. Do let us know what you discovered on the velocity issues.

This project gets better every day. Just seeing this makes me want to make my MK II TR a baby sister!! Keep up the good work!!

I have two mkii's right now, one is a thumbhole bull barrel, and the other is a mkii F that I use as my hunting gun, but shoots absolutely lights out. I really want to do this, but it shoots so well now....

Looks like you did a very good job and I admire you for doing all the custom work yourself. Thanks for your help.

Does the front flip cap fit on the sunshade, or did you have to buy something else? Does the sunshade rotate when you turn the AO? Also, how high are the rings with the DIP base? I am looking at using the DIP base and the CP or the vortex crossfire 6-24, and was wondering about what to use to get the scope low, but not too low to turn the AO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the front flip cap fit on the sunshade, or did you have to buy something else?

<span style="font-weight: bold">doesn't really fit, as it has grooves and bumps that mate with the adj. obj without the sunsade. i actually used the eyebell cover from another centerpoint i had and fitted it INSIDE the sunshade.</span>

Does the sunshade rotate when you turn the AO?

<span style="font-weight: bold">no</span>

Also, how high are the rings with the DIP base? I am looking at using the DIP base and the CP or the vortex crossfire 6-24, and was wondering about what to use to get the scope low, but not too low to turn the AO

<span style="font-weight: bold">medium height worked well: </span>LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - base / scope / bipod / bore site PART 1

<span style="font-weight: bold">if it wan't for the bumps and grooves on the adj obj mentioned before, low may have worked.</span>
</div></div>

SO the bumps made it too tight or too loose? I guess that answers the question I have been asking on 4 forums for 6 months now, without a real answer. I guess most people haven't even gotten theirs yet since it seems to always be out of stock. On an upside, I found a cheap dovetail mount on the centerpoint site that may work for a marlin semi-auto. Save on some shipping to I think.

the bumps and grooves on the scope are a nice touch for grip, and the lens cap has bumps and grooves that "interlock" with the obj. it's really not too bad of fit.

but on the sunshade, there are no bumps and grooves, plus it's a smaller diameter. so the lens cap cover is too big to stay on.

I have almost the same rig only with a bushy 10x40 sitting ontop of it. I actually had the same scope exactly except I upgraded to the bushy.

Good luck,
Merritt

Though for what tools you used its not a bad DIY shortening I am not sure that I could do that to any of my 22s even if it is a cheap one. Even the use of a drill press or something to do a recessed crown would have theoretically created an even crown. All in all good work.