• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Low end thermal?

rrflyer

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2008
DFW, TX
I know there’s a ton of nice stuff available but I’m just looking to shoot some pigs out to 200ish yards.

Are the THOR LTs worth a damn?

I know there’s a ton of nice stuff available but I’m just looking to shoot some pigs out to 200ish yards.

Are the THOR LTs worth a damn?
Thats their $1200 model? I would say it would be an under 100 yards scope, at best. But no experience with that scope in particular, but i do with a higher end atn.

"Low end thermal" is much akin to "slightly undependable parachute", "occasionally exploding SUV": meaning it should maybe be avoided, unless you just feel like testing God's mercies.

If looking in that price range, I'd go digital NV (which, I know, isn't true NV) before I went thermal. Pulsar makes some stuff that works well for the price range. Granted, they all need an IR illuminator to be worth anything, but they do a thoroughly okay job when the max budget is $1200-1500.

You can shoot hogs to your hearts content with any of the Hogsters from Bering Optics. On the low end, thermals such as the THOR LTS and even the Pulsar Core and the Flir PTS233, they become almost unusable in any kind of humidity. The Hogsters don't see the image deterioration the other models do. Many will say you have to spend 6-10K to get a decent thermal, and that is simply not the case. There are around 150+ coyotes each year that I shoot that will tell you differently.

Here are the specs on the three main Hogster models. The comfortable shooting range of the 25 is around 150 yards, the 35 up to around 225, and the Super Hogster 300+.

hogster_comp.jpg

Night Goggles has them for sale and is a great dealer to work with. I've got lots of videos of the 35 and Super Hogster if your interested. PM me if you want to see them. FYI, they also carry a 4-year transferrable warranty.

Reactions: diggler1833
I used to get on here and shout hard for Pulsar's XQ or XM lines...I still have an XQ38 Trail that has probably somewhere near 500 hours on it and it runs great. However, more and more guys I know are playing with the Hogster models and up to this point, are liking them. My only night messing with a Hogster side by side with my Trail showed that the Hogster was able to pick up more vegetation, but that once the native magnification was cranked up it got quite a bit more pixelated.

Shooting between 50 and 200 yards really requires the use of a focus adjustment...it is more critical in a thermal than in a day scope.

Reactions: TheHorta