• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Low-power AR optic choice

BigAndy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2011
MI, USA
I have an 18" AR project finishing up soon and would like to cap it off with a ~1-4x optic in a Burris PEPR (or similar). I am looking at the Nikon M223 1-4x BDC-600, Leupold Mark-AR, and Millett DMS scopes. I would like to keep it as cheap as possible, but still have a durable scope. I am planning on shooting (primarily) from 50-200 yards, but would like the option to shoot out to 400-500 yards with this particular rifle. I particularly like the turrets, as well as the customer service, of the Nikon, but the reticle received quite a few poor reviews. The durability of the Millett was questioned by a few others. I have little experience with Leupolds, and was hoping to get some advice from you guys.
Thanks in advance,
-JA

Re: Low-power AR optic choice

Leupold is the most likely choice, as I just found out that OpticsPlanet has a $25 coupon, and Leupold has a $50 rebate. I am just not a huge fan of the turrets, as well as not being able to look through one of these to form my own opinion. Any of you guys have meaningful comments/warnings about the Mark-AR?

my vote goes to the pst 1-4. best customer service in the business, imo the best reticle, and only 500ish bucks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigAndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an 18" AR project finishing up soon and would like to cap it off with a ~1-4x optic in a Burris PEPR (or similar). I am looking at the Nikon M223 1-4x BDC-600, Leupold Mark-AR, and Millett DMS scopes. </div></div>

If you are considering a PEPR mount, you may want to look at some of the combo offerings with Burris' Tac30/mtac with or without a FastfireII that include the mount with your purchase. You can save a bit of money going that route. I feel the Mtac is a good step up from the Tac30 for a small increase in price. The glass and illumination are both good, if you like the BDC reticle it might be worth considering. If your primary distance will be the 50-200 you mentioned this could be a nice fit. I'm sure the vendors here have some good pricing on this package.

92f848caed5c65aa3de3fb7e3b2cef19.jpg

Also, i believe SWFA also offers a selection of low power variables combined with their label of the "PEPR" mount as well.

Good luck-

$500 for the MTAC with a mount is quite tempting; however, I was trying to stay a little cheaper than that price point. Also, the Mark-AR is almost making me pull the trigger, with the rebate and OpticsPlanet.com special giving a $75 discount. I mean, all other things aside, I'd have a NF, Vortex, or USO on every rifle I own. I am just trying to get a few decent features on a solid scope for a low-recoiling rifle.

I picked my mtac up for 300 brand new, look for specials or other forums, usually some for sale on BE forum, thats where I got mine. Prize table scope someone didnt want. Then just find a PEPR mount.

Appreciate the input, but where'd you get a $300 MTAC? I will keep an eye on the forums, though.

Around $380 for Mtac with PEPR mount. Around $500 combo with fastfire. Look at hide vendors sites... stay away from' big box' and save.

I feel the Mtac is a nicer product for the money than Leupold's low vari mark ar. From mythe recolection the mark ar glass was fairly clear as well, nothing to write home about. Im not aware of any major faults in itsto design but I don't believe theyve created anything unique or desired that's note offered elsewhere.

Edit: I agree with the below recommendation of the VXR line, it is very nice and very well priced (much more so than the mark ar series).

Thanks BobD, I think I will go with an MTAC package. After looking through some reviews, it seems quite the value. I am not sure about picking up a FastFire just yet, but will definitely go with the QD PEPR. I found some sites that offer all 3 (i.e. both optics and the mount) for less than the Leupy Patrol scope alone. Now I just need to save up the green. Thanks again for all of your input, and please feel free to shoot me a PM if you should find a sweet Burris deal in the meantime.
-JA

I gotta pile on the Vortex Viper PST 1-4 bandwagon . I ran a Leupold 1-3 , burris Tac30 and the Burris XTR 1-4 prior to picking up the vortex and I like its functionality and its glass the best . I like the fact that its a Mil/Mil scope as I can use my AR as a spotter for my bolt gun as well as a go fast carbine . Only way I could think of it being any better is if it were a 1-8 at pretty close to the same price point but thats just a pipe dream of mine
wink.gif