• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lower budget stock options?

RichS

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2001
PG County Maryland
Ok,
So it's been a couple years since my "getting back into it..." thread, and I still haven't gotten there yet. Ooops..
Anyway, once upon a time I started in with the precision rifle thing. Started with two PSS's (one in .308 and one in .223). Sent them both to Hart for their accuracy package, and was on my way. Started really diggin' it and ordered a SCLE from GAP. Holy hell, it was awesome. Well, inevitably life changes. Married, 2 kids, and a house later and the bolt guns are gone. Heck, my club closed so it's not like I had anywhere close to shoot them anyway.

Well, kids are a little older and it looks like my club is going to purchase some land which would let me shoot potentially to 300 yards. WooHoo! That being said, I just don't have the budget for toys that I once did. SO, I'm thinking of a 700 SPS AAC (not sure if I want the 20" or the 16"....I gotta say the shorty is really intriguing me). I'm not really sweating the optics at this point, because it looks like there's a bit of a "renaissance" going on in the optics world with many makers making good quality, affordable glass. I am sweating the stock though. As cool as the AAC is, the stock isn't.

Now, I'd love to have a Manners or a McM, but the budget just isn't there for it. I see a lot of guys using the B&C medalist series. Are they good to go? What about any of the Choate offerings? Are the HS stocks pretty good? One thing I need to also consider is the cost of bedding, bottom metal etc. When I add that extra $ in, things like the KRG XRay are looking interesting.

I wouldn't be doing any comps (at least not big, formal ones), I'm about as HDLS as they get, but I do like an accurate rifle. I do prefer to shoot from prone off a pack. Should I go with the "if it ain't broke..." line of thought and stick with the McM M40 HTG style, or try something different?

Recommendations?

I have a few B&C medalists stocks. They shoot just as good as my Manner's when they are bedded. One of my B&C needed a skim bed and the other didn't. You just have to shoot it to find out first. Now I'm not saying that the B&C is in the same quality dept as Manner's or Mcmillan, but they get the job done on a budget. I since been able to afford Manner's for most of my rifles, but the ones in the B&C's work great so there's no need to change them out. Highly recommend them if your on a budget.

B&C are quality, economical stocks, and so are H&S ones for a wee bit more money and and a hair, maybe half's hair better in quality. I think it is because of the coating HS uses on the outside. I personally love my PST012 I think it is (fixed M24 kind). My B&C, sold here on the 'Hide, was a bit "slicker" on the outside, whereas the HS just fits.

Pick one of the and have a very Merry Christmas!

Might want to look at laminated. Stocky's sells a Hart model with bedding block. Laminates offer a lot for the money. Good camo depending on the colors chosen. Stable as synthetic with all the epoxy used. Can be had with same adjustments and hardware. Feels like classic wood. Maybe a little heavier.

I have the Hart LRT on my hog gun, great deal and a good price.

Might want to look at laminated. Stocky's sells a Hart model with bedding block. Laminates offer a lot for the money. Good camo depending on the colors chosen. Stable as synthetic with all the epoxy used. Can be had with same adjustments and hardware. Feels like classic wood. Maybe a little heavier.

If you are going on the cheap the B&C medalist is a great option and hard to beat. I have a few friend that have taken up long range shooting with me but did not want to break the bank doing it so we used the B&C and they worked out good.

I have the B&C medalist M40. For what it costs, it is a great stock and well made. It has a good feel and good looks. Full length Al block. I bought it for a CMP 40x action, but it wasn't really the best for my setup with a single shot rimfire action. It would be great on a 700 but since I don't have one right now the stock is for sale. IIRC LonewolfUSMC called it good to go in a thread somewhere so you would be well served with one. My only issue was I had to open up the barrel channel for the heavy contour of the 40x barrel but it was a simple, but slightly time consuming issue. Hope this helps.

I also have the B&C Medalist on the 7-08 SPS and love it! Boyd's laminated gunstocks are also on sale now I picked one up for $99 for the 7mm mag, also got one for the boy's Savage MK II. The pepper laminate looks awesome!! Our rifles will look good duracoated in Flecktarn grey.

Bell and Carlson will warp if left in a hot pickup truck. Trust me!

Well I neither have a truck or hot weather (since I'm in Michigan), so I'm good to go. Although that is definitely something worthwhile to know. Thanks for the heads up.

I have a couple of B&C Medalist stocks. I see no problem with them. I have a Manners T4 that I swapped out with one if them (both bedded to that particular action) & I didn't see one bit of increase in accuracy. As for as bottom metal, nothing wrong with the factory floorplate (unless you just need the DBM for whatever reason).

Bell and Carlson makes a very nice Stock. My next build will be on a Bell and Carlson and put the money I would have spent on higher priced stocks in my metal work.

Well I neither have a truck or hot weather (since I'm in Michigan), so I'm good to go. Although that is definitely something worthwhile to know. Thanks for the heads up.

No problem. In 2011 we had temperatures of 106 degrees for 2/3 of our year. Anything that wasn't a laminate stock warped somewhat and ruined accuracy. My laminates were fine.

For 300 yards, save the money on the stock and just get yourself an AR. Any legal barrel length will work at 300 yards all day long. There is no need for a precision rifle at that distance; even my 14.5" carbine with a 1-4 will ring steel all day at that distance with 55 grain FMJs.

I have four McMillan Stocks and three B&C medalist. I love the quality and looks of my McMillans, but my B&C's just work. All three of my B&C medalist stocks are skim bedded. They are a great value.

For 300 yards, save the money on the stock and just get yourself an AR. Any legal barrel length will work at 300 yards all day long. There is no need for a precision rifle at that distance; even my 14.5" carbine with a 1-4 will ring steel all day at that distance with 55 grain FMJs.

This guy is 100% correct, but I wouldn't take his advice. Even though you'll be limited to 300 for the time being, if you get a good cartridge and load and are able to dial up and down and hit repeatedly, when the time comes, it will just take a drop chart and you'll be able to triple that distance with little effort.
I've had a lot of stocks, up to an 1100.00 XLR chassis, but my favorite stock is a B&C A2, just love the fit and feel.

Already have enough ARs. Like most of us involved in the shooting sports/hobby, it really isn't about "need".

That being said, how close is the B&C M40 in feel compared to the McM HTG?

Yes don't limit yourself to what your club range will be. Get the rifle you want and decide on the stock. I would go with an HS Precision personally, but B&C's are just fine. You wont be relegated to just your clubs range limitations. I doubt you'll hunt there and you'll have opportunities to stretch it out in the future, I guarantee it.

Yes don't limit yourself to what your club range will be. Get the rifle you want and decide on the stock. I would go with an HS Precision personally, but B&C's are just fine. You wont be relegated to just your clubs range limitations. I doubt you'll hunt there and you'll have opportunities to stretch it out in the future, I guarantee it.

True. I sure as hell don't plan on living in MD much longer.