• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lower Parts Kit Preferences

cjs88

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 7, 2020
    TEXAS
    Starting to get pieces to build my next AR, first one since 2013. Any lower parts kits you all would recommend? I used a spikes tactical for my first one and have had no issues. Bought an Aero m4e1 lower to start.

Colt, LMT, is my preference
    I recently used Geiselle in build and it was nice. The boys did their ARs with the Anderson upgraded kit with the ss trigger and they were great

as long as you have mil spec, which a lot are not, you should be fine. Stick to Colt, LMT and Aero for mil spec. Geiselle is not interestingly enough. Then again, I doubt anyone would benefit from cadmium in artic conditions. Aero is fine as well, people like BCM although I've never used them

Forward Controls is known as one of the best, out of my price range though.

I use 2010's era DPMS and Stag small parts with good results. Triggers are always SSA-E or TT though.

I have used SOLGW and BCM recently, no problems with either. I buy the kits without triggers because I prefer the Geissele two stage.

Built four of my AR's (3-PA-15's, 1 PA-10) using included/mounted internals from the assembled Lower. Replaced triggers with (Schmidt) Nickel-Boron 2-stage units that are being offered by several sources. Uppers are AR Stoner, assembled. Furniture is Luth-AR, and scopes are Bushnell AR Drop Zone units. They are all very easy to acquire a target picture and send the shot. With effective load development, they approach Match accuracy.

ETA, I also use Bolt Release Extensions; that puts the main operations into the realm of a single educated finger, without needing to move the hand involved.

Also ETA, I could have spent more on the triggers, but overall, I had 5 AR's to re-trigger. A Shooting Buddy turned me on to the Schmidt Triggers, and after testing one, I concluded that they are (for my purposes) a good combination of function and affordability. They do what I need without needing to resort to hubris. I managed to do the remaining four for around the cost of a more prestigious one.

One can't buy their way into the X-Ring; never could. Equipment and skills development are the key factors supporting accuracy.

Greg

Last edited:
    Reactions: AMGtuned
    Forward Controls is known as one of the best, out of my price range though.

I use 2010's era DPMS and Stag small parts with good results. Triggers are always SSA-E or TT though.
    i just bought some gas rings from them, funny guys with their monkey pox comment on the shipping label. swag is comical too, a goose sticker and a carpenters pencil....lol

just looked more at his web site and see the 2 stage triggers form $78! thats dirst cheap compared to a geiselle. how are those?

I emailed Forward Controls once about a plate for a Glock MOS on the weekend and the owner responded in a couple hours, he must check those emails from his phone.

just looked more at his web site and see the 2 stage triggers form $78! thats dirst cheap compared to a geiselle. how are those?
    The FCD 2 stage looks just like the same one from DSG Arms, Centurion Arms, Sionics, etc. I recently bought one from DSG Arms. I would say the best way to describe it would be that it feels like any of the NIB triggers from places like ALG, BCM, etc. but with the addition of a first stage. It definitely does not have the crisp 2nd stage "wall" like Geissele.

Reactions: tucaz
    How are the sionic triggers that come with it?
    How are the sionic triggers that come with it?
    I like the Scionics trigger. It’s on par with my SOLGW Liberty Fighting trigger. My opinion, it’s your basic “enhanced mil-spec trigger.” Between the Liberty Fighting trigger, the Scionics, and the RTB enhanced nickel Teflon trigger, I can’t tell the difference between any of them.

Use whatever looks interesting, within reason. I have used Aero, JPE, Strike, Geissele, WMD and maybe CMMG. I do not get kits with the FCS (trigger).

If it's a respectable brand, you will be fine.

FCD, VSeven Titanium, and Aero have all been excellent for me. Love Geissele triggers, but not a fan of their safeties, mag catch/Release, and i have seen a handful of their bolt catches snap.

Well, you had better get the Aero LPK because that is the only one that has the 4-40 set screws the Aero lower requires.
    And they are a flat out bitch to find at the local *any* store.

Well, you had better get the Aero LPK because that is the only one that has the 4-40 set screws the Aero lower requires.
    And they are a flat out bitch to find at the local *any* store.
    Are you to talking about the threaded hole for the safety selector detent spring? If so, the set screw is not required. The detent and spring will function the same with or without the set screw.

The 4-40 set screw is for the take down pin, not the safety selector and it is not required. It just makes it easier to install the receiver extension. They are readily available at Ace Hardware. I have tapped every lower I put together for about the last 5 years and installed the set screw.

Reactions: hlee
    The 4-40 set screw is for the take down pin, not the safety selector and it is not required. It just makes it easier to install the receiver extension. They are readily available at Ace Hardware. I have tapped every lower I put together for about the last 5 years and installed the set screw.
    Yeah, I’ve pulled apart completed guns in order to tap and install a set screw- just on the off chance I’ll need/want to tear them down in the future. You can buy a bag of 50 or 100 set screws for a few dollars on line.

Or get one free, set screw that is.

I rock out LPKs from Fast Eddy's Discount Meats & Gun Parts in Teabaggerville...

• Haha
    Reactions: Im2bent
    You are correct, it is the take down pin spring and detent, not the safety selector.

CMMG non-FCG and then pick your trigger and grip of your choice

On my M4e1 and my M5e1 it is both the safety AND the take down that are threaded.
    Of course the bolt release is too, but they provide the pin with the lower.
    I had to clip the safety spring shorter to use the set screw on it....simple job really.

That’s interesting, but I have never seen an M4e1 with a threaded safety detent/spring recess. Perhaps I missed it. It just doesn’t make any sense to me. I looked at the aero site and they don’t mention it.
    Cheers, Steve

Starting to get pieces to build my next AR, first one since 2013. Any lower parts kits you all would recommend? I used a spikes tactical for my first one and have had no issues. Bought an Aero m4e1 lower to start.
    I just put together another AR using the Aero Precision M4E1 lower, the Sons of Liberty LPK, Geissler buffer tube and buffer, and a Geissle SSA-E trigger. Great combination. No issues whatsoever.

John

That’s interesting, but I have never seen an M4e1 with a threaded safety detent/spring recess. Perhaps I missed it. It just doesn’t make any sense to me. I looked at the aero site and they don’t mention it.
    Cheers, Steve
    I’m calling BS on the threaded safety detent recess. There is not enough space to accommodate the safety detent + spring + set screw in the location. My M4E1 lower did come with a threaded takedown pin detent recess, and threaded bolt catch pin, but no threads for the safety detent.

I don’t have a M5 lower, but I do have a lr308 lower. The takedown detent spring recess is moved to under the grip- which might confuse the issue, but there is no room for a threaded safety detent recess there either.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
    I don’t have a M5 lower, but I do have a lr308 lower. The takedown detent spring recess is moved to under the grip- which might confuse the issue, but there is no room for a threaded safety detent recess there either.
    You are most likely correct. Every 308 lower I have put together has had the takedown pin hole under the grip. I actually had to tap the hole in an M&P10 lower for a 4-40 set screw due to it not having enough spring tension on the pin and having it come completely out of the lower when taking down the rifle. The hole was under the grip.

Aero lpk is the worst I've iver used. Do not recommend. I'm here Looking to see what others are using to replace them

I'm on my 2nd lower build. Used Smith and Wesson parts kits on both.

They work.

...and that's what I'm concerned about

M

The FCD 2 stage looks just like the same one from DSG Arms, Centurion Arms, Sionics, etc. I recently bought one from DSG Arms. I would say the best way to describe it would be that it feels like any of the NIB triggers from places like ALG, BCM, etc. but with the addition of a first stage. It definitely does not have the crisp 2nd stage "wall" like Geissele.
    Those FCD 2 Stage Triggers are made by Schmid Tool... and marketed by lots of Manufacturers, even Ruger. Note the stamped S on the hammer.

Schmid Tools LPK's are ( IMHO ) a standard to look for.

Never used a lower parts kit on the 7 I have built. Always order individual parts from White Oak Armament. They sell good stuff and that is the only way I get the exact parts I need. All of my AR's have BADD-ASS safeties, Hiperfire triggers, and BCM Mod 0 grips. All built on billet lowers so I don't need the trigger guard. That does away with a lot of the LPK so I but loose parts.

not the centurion as Monty has further refinement to theirs

Agree with a lot of people above. Whatever I can get without a trigger and grip. For me Inhave a local dealer that stocks a lot of Aero stuff. I always have a few “whoops” parts kits on hand at home also. That’s for when you shoot a tiny spring across the room. Buy one of each. Pick your trigger and grip of choice and go.

I good basic set of tools is more important to me. This includes punches, roll pin starting punches, and a small non-marring hammer.

Reactions: JohnCarter17
    Aero lpk is the worst I've iver used. Do not recommend. I'm here Looking to see what others are using to replace them
    What’s wrong with them when you get them minus the FCG? It’s a bag of small parts and springs at that point (yes plus mag release and last round hold open also). They are a totally mil spec kit. I install them even into higher brand billet uppers (LMT and GGP). But I only run Geissele or Larue triggers so I wouldn’t notice a trigger difference. All milspec triggers are garbage to me.

What’s wrong with them when you get them minus the FCG? It’s a bag of small parts and springs at that point (yes plus mag release and last round hold open also). They are a totally mil spec kit. I install them even into higher brand billet uppers (LMT and GGP). But I only run Geissele or Larue triggers so I wouldn’t notice a trigger difference. All milspec triggers are garbage to me.
    agree, aero has been solid whenever I've used them

agree, aero has been solid whenever I've used them
    I like the “whoops” kit they offer also.

For just milspec they are fairly local to me and have a large stocking dealer. Can always get what I want, with a veterans discount, and not wait.

I’m calling BS on the threaded safety detent recess. There is not enough space to accommodate the safety detent + spring + set screw in the location. My M4E1 lower did come with a threaded takedown pin detent recess, and threaded bolt catch pin, but no threads for the safety detent.

Still the same hlee.
    Still clueless.
    Call whatever you want to.....probably not a single person on this site would take your word for shit....even if you were right....which you most certainly are not.

FCD Stuff is pretty damn good I've found.
    20221118_114147~2.jpg

Reactions: Jdfd556
    Still the same hlee.
    Still clueless.
    Call whatever you want to.....probably not a single person on this site would take your word for shit....even if you were right....which you most certainly are not.
    Please post a picture of a m4e1 lower receiver with a threaded safety detent spring recess. I’m willing to be wrong on this. Thanks.

Reactions: msgriff
    I like the “whoops” kit they offer also.

For just milspec they are fairly local to me and have a large stocking dealer. Can always get what I want, with a veterans discount, and not wait.
    armsunlimited has colt lpk on sale from time to time. I bought a bunch this summer, no fcg but comparing these to lpk bought in 2011 they are absolutely the same. They get them in often enough, I'd wait or go to lmt website and build my lpk but for a cheaper alternative, aero is absolutely fine and works well. Never had an issue

WOA is good too
    Used Geiselle but not mil spec so won't use them. The TDP was established for a reason and the LPK is one area I use the standard for.

I would go with a strike industries enhanced lpk. They come with a a 45-90 ambidextrous safety which is 10-30 bucks if purchased by itself.

The best LPK for the proper packaging and material used plus feature set (ambi safety) is the Daniel Defense LPK. Also Wilson Combat makes nice LPK. Aero is bare minimum. All should use Larue MBT2s or G SSA/SSAe/SDe, I’d buy two MBT2s