• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lower than average scope base?

Matno

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2012
I'm looking for a scope mount for my AR-15 with ACS stock that is lower than the typical 1.4" or 1.5" height. It needs to be a forward offset mount for eye relief. I'll be using it with a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32mm (30mm tube). I don't know if my face is just freakishly skinny or if my eyes are just too close to the sides of my head, but I typically like a really low scope. ;) The ACOG TA11-H that I currently have on there (with TA51 mount) is way too high at 1.6". Works okay with a "chin weld" but with a good cheek weld, my eye lines up with the bottom rim of the eyepiece. When I had that scope on a different rifle with a PRS stock, I had the adjustable cheek piece cranked to full height, and that was barely enough. I'm thinking the Armalite mount at 1.25" would be about right, but it doesn't look like it has enough forward offset (plus it's ugly). Nightforce makes a nice 1.125 ultralight mount that might actually work, but I don't really need a 20 MOA base for this gun, which won't be shot beyond 600 yards (and rarely beyond 400). Haven't seen one on an AR, so I'm guessing they sell that mount for bolt guns, but could be wrong...

Anyone know of a scope mount that fits that bill? I looked on AR15 One-Piece Mounts, and didn't see much, but that also looks outdated.

I use the Nightforce 1.125" mount and it's probably about as low as you will find in a one piece mount, I know said you don't need 20 MOA of cant, but there's no reason to specifically not buy a mount with 20 MOA built in. I'm very happy with it. You could also just get some Ultralight rings. Try 1.0" and see how you like them.

On the right is the 1.125" Nightforce Unimount on an AR with a 42mm obj scope.
118k58h.jpg

Thanks for the pic! That actually looks really good (although I'd probably mount it a little farther forward - but it looks like you have plenty more room). I guess there's not really a downside to a 20 MOA mount. Why not have the extra adjustment just in case, right? Guess I might have to pony up the dough for a pricey mount!
They should make an adjustable mount so you could go to a gun shop and do a "professional fitting" to measure you're exact height...

Push come to shove, if you can't find a lower mount that'll work, you might look into LaRue Tactical's RISR, to raise your cheek up a bit. Or if you're running a fixed butt stock, a cheek pack that's been had the length DIY shortening mod will get the job done as well.

I like the RISR, but it doesn't work with my ACS stock, which I also like. I use an add-on cheek pad on my .300wm which I love, but not such a great option for a collapsible stock on an AR. Blocks the charging handle. I'm thinking that NightForce mount may be my best option.

Dang you. Don't show me a Spuhr mount. I'm already dreaming about getting one of those, and I can't afford it! Okay, maybe if I wait a few months, but I'm an impatient guy! Might have to spring for one on my AR-10 though. Argh! Why can't I have a cheap hobby?!

Got the 1.125" Nightforce, and it fits PERFECTLY. Also, it's light and solid. And it looks great! Doesn't hurt that the demo model I got was $40 off.

Also splurged a little more and got an Aadmount 20MOA for my AR-10. Nice to have the built in bubble level, and that gun has an adjustable PRS stock so scope height isn't really an issue.