• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lowlights Comp thread?

jsimonh

Minuteman
Feb 4, 2011
Altus, Oklahoma
What happened to the build it they will come thread? I was keeping up with it and now it's gone? Seemed like a lot of good ideas being tossed around. Did it go south or something?

I’m thinking he wasn’t happy with how it was going. Either that or he wants to keep the details internal for now.

He’s never happy when it comes to talking about competitions on here. There will never be a perfect system to satisfy everyone. Too much complaining around here about PRS, mostly by those that don’t shoot it. Find the system you like best and go forth with it, those that don’t like PRS and don’t partake in it will always cry about it though.

Ah shit I missed it

locked not nuked

locked not nuked

Different thread. He had started one talking about a new format he was going to implement on his match in the near future.

ah, was quite a bit of that in there as well.

West coast Mamoth style match maybe?

Seems a match like that is self regulating. By that I mean a “practical“ rifle and kit (weight vs. capability) means equipment you have to haul around and live with/from for a couple or few days. Maybe some caliber restrictions for the targets sake.

Incorporate timed land nav, decision making/problem solving/strategy, scenario based blind stages etc. This to me would be a “destination“ match. Year round I see threads related to how to prepare for Mamoth. It is inspirational and I would think more thought, training and planning would be required to do well vs a typical “3 steps and shoot” match.

I’m not speaking poorly of PRS/NRL etc type matches, I’m a beginner and have only attended a handful of local one-dayers in which I regularly get spanked. I think those matches deserve a lot of credit for aiding in the development of the precision rifle sport to where we are today and with it the market which has supported numerous businesses which innovate and develop new products we love. It was in attending those local matches that motivated me to spend the money on custom actions, chassis, barrels, optics, reloading gear etc.

It would seem PRS/NRL style matches would be a good training ground or practice/validation for the target engagement aspect of such a field match. Additionally, a competitor would have to factor in physical fitness, gear selection, and specific subject matter knowledge (land nav, first aid, whatever, etc.) to do well.

Like others have done, you could have the “suck” division where you only live off the creature comforts and sustainment you agreed to carry on your back and the “gentlemen’s, gentle women’s“ division where you are provided with transport to the various stages and forego the land nav.

Prize table would consist of a trophy for podium finishers and one off t-shirt for winner saying “I won the SHC 20** and all I got was this lousy shirt!”

When I think of a match such as this, I think a “rifleman” as opposed to a “shooter” (nod to Phil and Caylen)

<————- Disclaimer: Has never been to Mamoth, doesn’t know the first thing about putting on a match. Just typing out what seemed like a good time. Looking forward to what the Hide and/or Frank comes up with. Buy primers with your Corona stimulus.

Reactions: ChidJ
I am just writing it up myself, I am hosting my own match, and when I am finished, people can either arrive or not... easy

I have a plan, I know where I am going, once the match is ready to be announced, I will ... less talk, more action
I bet I can twist Jake's arm and we could have it in Nebraska!

I kinda think I am gonna gonna do 3 day, with Saturday being a .22 option

Almost feel like Thursday would be a walk though, training day, Friday day one center fire, 1/2 day Saturday.22 and the reset the location for a Sunday finish

Then adding in events between, maybe clinics

I think a bit of Mammoth without the twisted faces at the end, I never liked forced marches but land nav is another thing, overland travel has to be part of it to balance rifles

I was thinking following Jim See do $150 entry for center fires and $50 for .22 do a quick scramble there take you like 4 hours to finish, followed up with a final test Sunday for the big guns,

Might be a nice break but let guys mentor too during Saturday

My first three rifle matches were 2014 SHC, 2015 SHC and a half-day CD combat biathlon. All in Colorado. Shortly thereafter I moved back to the Midwest, and started shooting PRS, and a few local "sniper" matches etc. I've been shooting PRS for 6 years and this will be the first year I don't. I've just burnt out on it. I miss formats like the Hide Cup.

I wish this part of the country offered more field-based or rifleman matches. I guess it comes down to land availability? The West has plenty, the East is in short supply. This year I'm only looking at matches with this kind of format....carry all gear between stages, find the targets yourself, range them, figure out the best way to shoot them, then move. Individual or team. I will probably shoot the GTI Guardian match since it sounds like fun and I hear good things about that organization. Planning one trip/match out west combined with a family vacation. Suggestions welcome!

Also, I want to try an ELR but am unfamiliar where those matches are advertised? Thanks

Reactions: Alpine 338
Big ELR match that Scott S puts on in Wyoming, registration opened yesterday. Unfortunately, this year doesn't look good for my attendance.

People rely too much on Facebook to advertise matches. We need some central, one-stop internet site that is gun friendly, that shows available matches, format, affiliations, etc. I'm sick of trying to navigate through word of mouth and Facebook to find out information about matches.

Some basics like;

- Date (actual dates, with info like check-in, sight in/practice range, awards ceremony, etc.)
- Location (actual location, not the closest major city)
- Format (Field, Square Range, Circus event, etc.)
- Round Count
- Max Distance
- Rules (Caliber and gear restrictions, speed limit, etc.)

None of the above should be a surprise to someone showing up to a match. There are some MDs that will list all that info, but others keep it a big secret, mostly because they're inexperienced and winging it. I don't want to register and waste my money on a match that doesn't come out forthright telling you the basics.

You know I never really considered Mammoth because its not a match I would shoot, and in the beginning it had some issues, but, it's actually a good model for a standalone product

I was always looking at where the SHC fit in, currently, it's part of the RTC, in the past it was both Nomad and PRS, but now I think it's time too toss the model out the window.

Nothing says it can't be a total standalone thing, open the door to anyone, create a bit of a unique event, not just from a course of fire standpoint, but overall.

Make it more of a destination like it used to be, including training clinics, include the rimfire, just make it a bigger thing rather than something in passing

in many ways, while I dismissed Mammoth, it's got the right idea, just do your own thing... done.

Big ELR match that Scott S puts on in Wyoming, registration opened yesterday. Unfortunately, this year doesn't look good for my attendance.

People rely too much on Facebook to advertise matches. We need some central, one-stop internet site that is gun friendly, that shows available matches, format, affiliations, etc. I'm sick of trying to navigate through word of mouth and Facebook to find out information about matches.

Some basics like;

- Date (actual dates, with info like check-in, sight in/practice range, awards ceremony, etc.)
- Location (actual location, not the closest major city)
- Format (Field, Square Range, Circus event, etc.)
- Round Count
- Max Distance
- Rules (Caliber and gear restrictions, speed limit, etc.)

None of the above should be a surprise to someone showing up to a match. There are some MDs that will list all that info, but others keep it a big secret, mostly because they're inexperienced and winging it. I don't want to register and waste my money on a match that doesn't come out forthright telling you the basics.

It's called Practiscore; if the MD chooses to include match details, it has all of that information.

Just daydreaming here...

Maybe some day, the SHC would be the ”Oshkosh” of the precision rifle world. If your not familiar with Oshkosh, ask anyone involved with aviation or pull up a YouTube video. Basically, at such a match, there would be something for anyone interested in any of the different aspects of the precision rifle discipline, be it hunters, tactical minded shooters like LE or military, or match/competition/ELR/Olympic style shooters. It would be the place/venue for industry and consumers to come together. Something independent of Shot Show or Precision Rifle Expo etc.

While such an event was being held in the ”pits”, competitors would be isolated out on the course, away from the noise, with only their rifle/kit and strategy in hand, maybe with a team mate in a ”spotter/shooter” format while others may be in a “solo shooter“ or hunter class. It would be awesome if live or somewhat live updates could be posted on a leader board. Maybe even have a media team to document the struggles and triumphs of contestants which can be posted on social media and YouTube to inspire future competitors.

Start small, maybe with just the match, and let it grow organically by word of mouth and SH forums. Invite more manufacturers and/or competitors over time to what the market will support. I can imagine finding the right venue would be a challenge but then again, Maybe some of y’all know someone who can make this work.