• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lows or mid rings?

K_4c

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    The bell is 40mm and I wanna run my luppy as low as possible (used on an LWRC ar)....mids or lows?

I understand there might be some variables (such as diffrent manufactures and their dimensions). I'm running highs right now to clear my BUIS but I'm going to take them off.

thanks for the advice.

Kinnamon

Re: Lows or mid rings?

i couldd be wrong but i think 40mm scopes are always lows. cheak the sticky at the top of the page

How much space between your objective and forend rail do you have now?
    Measure that and you will know how much you can lose on the rings without getting into trouble (subtract a little less than the actual measurement for desired clearance).

I feel like a dumbass... makes sense sobrbiker883... thanks

I believe you will need mediums. Im almost certain my 40mm Mark 4 objective would not clear a parallel surface with low rings like my Badger Ordinance ones.

My guns getting worked on and I pick it up tomorrow morning. I'll measure it out and post the results unless someone 100% certain chimes in.

if you could do that ajb008 that would be great.

I searched and searched and was able to find this. The lowest you want to go is 0.925 ring height. Below is a thread that shows pics of a 40mm Mark 4 mounted.

Keep in mind there is such a thing as too low. I cant speak for everyone, but if your too low on an AR you might not be able to get get a good cheek weld for a proper sight picture.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1520063

That's what I'm looking for! That mark 4 with Badger rings (1.125") is the setup I'm looking for.

Thanks ajb008

I run a USO QD mount at 1.2" high and its about as low as I want to go for cheekweld (and I like my stuff lower than most!).

.925's may clear, but you are going to be squishing your face into the stock!!

One thing I like to do is get behind my rifle in position, get compfy with my eyes closed and when I open them note about where my eye hight is in relation to the scope's ocular-then go up or down to match that.

For a decent cheekweld on an AR you will usually want the centerline of the rings to be at least 1.2" and a max of about 1.5

YMMV but much lower than that makes it very dificult to get into the scope and much higher takes your cheek off the gun.

Why dont you get the Larue SPR 1.5 mount for it?
    I have a Luepold MK2 w/40mm Obj. with the Larue mount on a AR and it works perfect!
    Alot better than screwing around with a set of rings for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why dont you get the Larue SPR 1.5 mount for it?
    I have a Luepold MK2 w/40mm Obj. with the Larue mount on a AR and it works perfect!
    Alot better than screwing around with a set of rings for it. </div></div>
    I run the same on my ARs. I also run BUIS so the larue was first choice for me.

The issue is not clearance for the objective above the bore, but adequate height of the eye piece above the stock to allow a cheek weld.
    If you are running an A2 stock, you will probably need a ring height of 1.25" or more.