• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes LPVO all or nothing...

Warowl

Minuteman
Feb 12, 2017
Hey guys, looking for recommendations on a lpvo for my mcx. I am looking at the trijicon, but I have no experience with any of these scopes. I plan on using it as an all or nothing scope ie I don't think I will use the in between settings, so I partially wonder if I should go with an elcan or holo with a magnifier for this reason.

I was looking at a 1-8 trijicon, but I am totally open to anything, thanks!

@HiDesertELR - can you expand on why you love yours? I've toyed with this scope or possibly the ZP8 since I still have a 50% discount to use (it's the 1-8x vs 3-15x up for grabs on this one). Just trying to decide if I'd be best off NOT getting the ZP8 and getting a Trijicon or somthing of that nature.

Any detail will help myself and the OP.

Thanks.

Hey guys, looking for recommendations on a lpvo for my mcx. I am looking at the trijicon, but I have no experience with any of these scopes. I plan on using it as an all or nothing scope ie I don't think I will use the in between settings, so I partially wonder if I should go with an elcan or holo with a magnifier for this reason.

Money no object? If so, I would take a look at:

1) Nightforce ATRCR 1-8
2) Leupold Mk 8 (Mk 6 if weight is a concern)
3) Minox 1-8 (glass is supposed to be ridiculous)
4) SB short dot

What’s the scope going on (.556/6.5/.308) and how’s it going to be used (3-gun, Recce/Target, hunting, etc)?

I would probably go 1300 ish max, but i would be fine getting used. Going on a 556

@HiDesertELR - can you expand on why you love yours? I've toyed with this scope or possibly the ZP8 since I still have a 50% discount to use (it's the 1-8x vs 3-15x up for grabs on this one). Just trying to decide if I'd be best off NOT getting the ZP8 and getting a Trijicon or somthing of that nature.

Any detail will help myself and the OP.

Thanks.
I don't have any experience with the other optics you mentioned, so I can't speak to a comparison. What I can say about the Trijicon is that for the price I paid (just under $1k), and the role I chose it for (do all optic on a LR308), it fit the bill. I wouldn't call it a suitable benchrest or paper punching scope as the reticle is a tad thick at full power, but I got it to hit targets at distance and use at 1x as a red dot. It tracks, returns to zero, can take a fair beating, has nice enough glass for my eyes, is easy to get behind, and just checked all the boxes when I was in the market.

If I could've afforded a Minox or Nightforce, I would've, but I can't, so I didn't. This hobby is expensive enough, and I just couldn't justify more than a grand for an optic that was going on a rifle I don't shoot that much and don't expect 1/2MOA out of.

As with all things, I'm learning, and wished I had access to everything at a local shop to make comparisons. I might've kept saving for one of the others mentioned, but the Trijicon worked out well for me and my application. Would a ZP or ATACR work better? Glad I don't know, because I'd be that much more broke!

Hope that helps.

Reactions: theLBC and Maxwell
@Warowl Gotcha...I have owned the Trijicon 1-8 Accupower and thought it was ok...a bit bulky, glass was ok not great but the FFP was nice to have for longer shots but I didn’t see it as a must have. The illumination was also decent.

The GenII razor is awesome; I have the VMR-2 MRAD reticle. Glass is much better/brighter, it’s built like a tank (the Trijicon felt delicate by comparison) and its dot is Aimpoint like.

I feel The Razor is also a bit “faster” on 1x with less distortion at 1 power. Razor’s downside is weight although the E is a little lighter (I have the non-E version)

Is it a huge loss going with 1-6 instead of 1-8? I guess I would like to build a recce typish rifle, not trying to make a clone or anything, but my mcx is 16". Likely am just going to use it for paper/target and home defense.

Indeed it does help sir!! Thank you. I hear you about "expensive enough."

I've toyed with NX8, Trijicon, the ZP8 (with discount - otherwise it's in way too $$ for me). I don't want a BDC so the Burris is out. The cool thing about the ZP8 is that it's a red dot then an illuminated reticle since it is dual focal plane. However, I've heard the "dot" is not that bright.

As for my purposes, "yes" to all. But mainly a steel hitter/home defense /pig shooter (0-500 m tops). But I'm hijacking the OP's thread. Sorry!.

Is it a huge loss going with 1-6 instead of 1-8? I guess I would like to build a recce typish rifle, not trying to make a clone or anything, but my mcx is 16". Likely am just going to use it for paper/target and home defense.

Not in my opinion as the furthest I take my small frame ARs is 500. Most shooting I personally do with them is usually between 7 yards (paper) and 100-400 against my steel 1/2 IPSIC targets. At 6x the steel targets look huge to me.

I have seen some of the nightforce NX8's for sale used right around that 1300$ price point.

Vortex razor is another good option at that price and of course the trijicon but If hardcore durability is a consideration the VCOG is built a lot tougher than the accupower but a lot more expensive

My hesitation to the nx8 is that the adjustments are not as fine as the trijicon, I am not super experienced in making adjustments anyways so I am not sure how much it will matter, thoughts? I have yet to learn a mils or moa system, so I thought I would start mils

My hesitation to the nx8 is that the adjustments are not as fine as the trijicon, I am not super experienced in making adjustments anyways so I am not sure how much it will matter, thoughts? I have yet to learn a mils or moa system, so I thought I would start mils

NX8 is a great scope if you can swing it. You don’t need anything more granular than .2 mil or .5 MOA, unless you are going to be doing more precision work vs an all around AR with some capabilities at distance.

I zero my 6.8 AR with the Razor at 36 yards and dead hold at 300. I just hold under for everything in between (example: target at 200: hold belt buckle to hit high center chest). When going 325ish to 500 at 6x power, Ill dial and .2 Mil adjustments are fine.

Last edited:
Does the trijicon have zerostop?
No it does not but, I've never needed to go past the first rev. I have one and have been really impressed with it. It's a little on the heavy side but not bad for the 308 gasser I have it mounted on. A lot of people bitch about the reticle thickness when trying to shoot groups, I dial up 1.5 mils and use the first .5 hash above the crosshair, problem solved. The crosshair would be worthless at low power if it were any thinner.

No it does not but, I've never needed to go past the first rev. I have one and have been really impressed with it. It's a little on the heavy side but not bad for the 308 gasser I have it mounted on. A lot of people bitch about the reticle thickness when trying to shoot groups, I dial up 1.5 mils and use the first .5 hash above the crosshair, problem solved. The crosshair would be worthless at low power if it were any thinner.
Which would not matter because it would be at 1x and you wold be using the segmented circle for cqb purposes.

The best all or nothing LPVO is the Kahles k16i. About the only thing I havent run to compare that too is the S&B short dots.

Reactions: Soulezoo
Have you looked at the Primary Arms LPVOs? They have both 1st and 2nd focal plane reticles. I think the most expensive one I saw was $1300 for a first focal plane reticle. They are supposed to be pretty tough and the reticles are interesting. They are BDC reticles but are supposed to be calibrated extremely well.

They might be worth a look. I just ordered one a day or two ago.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
The Primary Arms Platinum 1-8 FFP is a really nice optic. Have it on my M4 and shoot 69 SMK's. Reticle is is damn near spot on out to 600 yards with just a .2 mil adjustment from zero.

I'm a big fan of the nx8. The biggest con to it is the distortion at 1x. But I really liked the super bright illumination and how light weight it is.

I'm a big fan of the nx8. The biggest con to it is the distortion at 1x. But I really liked the super bright illumination and how light weight it is.
Z
How do you spot hits at distance with the NF with the reticle blocking everything?

Reactions: Downtown
I wasnt inferring shooting at 1400 yards, but it seems like the reticle blocks the 200-300 yard hit zone.

It’s no big deal if shooting at reactive targets (steel silhouettes or discs that move and ding when hit. Anything using an LPVO is likely to be more of a combat platform with some capabilities at distance. Tight groups arent priority.

If Shooting small groups at paper is the goal and an LPVO is desired, I’d opt for the 1-8 ATACR if wanting to stay with NF

Reactions: BytorJr
It’s no big deal if shooting at reactive targets (steel silhouettes or discs that move and ding when hit. Anything using an LPVO is more of a combat platform with some capabilities at distance.

If Shooting small groups at paper is the goal and an LPVO is desired, I’d opt for the 1-8 ATACR if wanting to stay with NF
Isn’t the center of the reticle the same on the Atacr?

Reactions: patscrazy
Thought the dot was a little smaller in the ATACR. If not then the same applies, though the ATACR’s reticle was designed with more precision shooting in mind relative to the NX8, according to NF.

Point is, LPVOs aren’t designed for precision work on small targets (ie MOA sized).

Given that, one can always zero the center dot so that POA/POI is achieved with the dot placed immediately above or below the target and either dial or use the vertical stadia to hold over. The ATACR’s reticle offers finer graduations vs the NX8.

Edit: I’d prefer a donut in the middle (inner diameter of say, .05 mil) vs a solid dot so I can “frame“ the target. If NF did that, I go out and buy one tomorrow.

Thought the dot was a little smaller in the ATACR. If not then the same applies, though the ATACR’s reticle was designed with more precision shooting in mind relative to the NX8, according to NF.

Point is, LPVOs aren’t designed for precision work on small targets (ie MOA sized).

Given that, one can always zero the center dot so that POA/POI is achieved with the dot placed immediately above or below the target and either dial or use the vertical stadia to hold over. The ATACR’s reticle offers finer graduations vs the NX8.
I would really like to see them come out with different reticle options.

The NX8 at 8 is not a problem. Have used it deer hunting twice very successfully. By the time your target is far enough away that the dot is obstructing your view, you will be using holdover subtensions which are finer.

If you want to do precision shooting, just holdover at 1 or 2 mil and dial accordingly.
I use mine right now on a 300 BLK rifle I do sub sonic hunting with, but looking to put it back on my 223 SBR.

One to strongly consider that isn't mentioned here is the Bushnell Tactical Elite 1-6.5x or the 1-8x. Kahles, Minox, S&B and ATACR are the only ones with better glass and not by much. And this is 1/2 the price. Mechanicals are perfect in my experience.

Reactions: Pointman308
The biggest downside to the 1-8.5x Bushnell is the horizontal stadia. Glass is good on them, for the price camerlandny had/has on them it's hard to not get at least one - a buyer won't be hurt getting one (unless they drop it on their toe). I'm actually toying with the Minox with the 50% coupon but rumors of an XTR-III LPVO is enough to hold me off that and do either the 3-15 or another 5-25. My other choice would be the NX8 or the Trijicon.

Good conversation guys. Keep the inputs coming.

at the last 2 gun match i did, on the table for our squad, 6 had vortex razor hd2 1-6 (incl me) and one had the triji 1-8 and there was one more lpvo i forget which. the vortex has real nice glass, real bright, easily daylight-visible red dot and works great despite being thrown into lotsa barrels, heavier than others though.