• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes LPVO mount advice needed

Esquireking

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2020
Hey guys, I just pulled the trigger on a Vortex Razor HD-E gen II 1-6 that will live on a 11.5" Geissele upper as a quasi mini recce type gun. I am sifting through the various options for mounts on the market and need some input. I'm pretty set on wanting to stay 1.93" high to clear IR laser/lights but otherwise am a bit lost. Contendors currently include;

1. LaRue Tactical SPR/M4 1.93" Mount QD LT135 (I have always trusted Larue mounts, but this thing is just plain ugly)
2. Geissele whichever model is 1.93" and tan

3. Badger Ordnance C1
4. Scalarworks LEAP

Are there any big NO DON'T BUY options in my list? Am I missing some I should seriously consider?

I went through the same thing over the last few weeks. I’ll have a Scalarworks mount here tomorrow for a Trijicon Credo HX 1-6 that’ll be here Thursday.

That setup is going on my new 13” DSA OSW factory SBR.

013E2F4B-9FB7-45F5-A100-85D273D8299A.jpeg

If I can find a Badger Ordnance 1.93 in stock I think thats the final winner. I was so close to pulling the trigger on the Larue since I trust them through and through, but I just can't ruin the fde/tan color scheme I have going on right now, I'm being that petty for the time being. And no, my feet aren't that giant and my AR pistol that small...I'm standing one full stair above it to get the whole thing in the shot. Down the line this upper will end up on a black sbr lower I own so the color thing will be a moot point anyway, but for now, it will be a mini-recceish pistol.

fQvIX3kl.jpg

Reactions: cardboardkiller
Super nice!

Thanks.

I hate mounting and leveling scopes. The Scalarworks was kind of a no brainer for me.

I do have an Aimpoint Pro on a Scalarworks mount sitting here for my CMMG Banshee 22 that I’m picking up tomorrow. The mount is definitely well made and is a neat setup.

I need to swap some stuff on this upper and I was just going to ask my gunsmith to mount and level this vortex razor for me because I've never done it, currently have 0 tools anywhere to be found (just moved) so its just not worth the headache for me.

Still futzing with the placement, but here’s the Leap and Aimpoint Pro on my suppressed CMMG 300 .22 SBR. Takes about 15 seconds to put on or take off. I’d double that for the LPVO mount. Solid mount.
F23E6BAF-724C-43FB-BF8D-6B7A801BEE7C.jpeg

My LPVO mount showed up today, but I haven’t unboxed it. The scope will be here tomorrow. I’ll post a pic.

I have a Bobro for an Aimpoint M3 and Borbro’s for 2 M4S’s on 3 different SBR’s. No complaints. The M3 has been on my 6.8 SBR for several years and survived several Kansas deer seasons and Florida hog hunts. Solid choice.

Just bought a Bushnell SMRS II Pro for my scar to replace the elcan specter currently on it. I think it will end up in an ADM Recon mount to see how that fits.

Google the Scalarworks torque issue to make sure you’re ok buying one after a little research.

Basically, USArmy testing showed that 4-5 inch pounds is the max that can be applied to a thumb screw buy an average soldier.

While most serious mounts recommend 65 inch pounds, the guys running Scalarworks are at 4 or 5. Owners will tell you that the detention prevents loosening which is kinda true, but it STARTS almost loose.

Attach on an 80 degree summer day. Carry for 20 minutes in dead winter. Then wiggle scope. Done it. Scope wiggled. No thumb screws for optics for me.

ask yourself this: Would you take a Geissele mount and loctite the threads (to mimic the detent on the Scalarworks) and then finger tighten to only 5 inch pounds and say you’re good to go? No. Nobody sane would.

Scalarworks isn’t magic. It’s EXACTLY the same as doing the above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warrior 45
Google the Scalarworks torque issue to make sure you’re ok buying one after a little research.

Basically, USArmy testing showed that 4-5 inch pounds is the max that can be applied to a thumb screw buy an average soldier.

While most serious mounts recommend 65 inch pounds, the guys running Scalarworks are at 4 or 5. Owners will tell you that the detention prevents loosening which is kinda true, but it STARTS almost loose.

Attach on an 80 degree summer day. Carry for 20 minutes in dead winter. Then wiggle scope. Done it. Scope wiggled. No thumb screws for optics for me.

ask yourself this: Would you take a Geissele mount and loctite the threads (to mimic the detent on the Scalarworks) and then finger tighten to only 5 inch pounds and say you’re good to go? No. Nobody sane would.

Scalarworks isn’t magic. It’s EXACTLY the same as doing the above.

So you owned a LEAP and it came loose or one of the other thumbscrew mounts?

I’ve seen the finger torque issue brought up a couple of places. I’ve seen one report of a LEAP failure.

I’ve had a Larue come loose to the point where it was banging around on my rifle and a factory Sako mount for my TRG 22 had all three rings come loose. I switched out to Bobro and Spuhr.

Last edited:
So I've narrowed down to bobro or the badger ordnance c1. I dig that the c1 comes in tan (this build is currently all anodized tan or cerakoted tan) so that appeals to my vanity, and the reviews have been solid. But the bobro really catches my interest too. I have Larue mounts on all my rifles with t1 red dots on them, but realistically I never have needed to take advantage of the qd features. I found the bobro 1.93 mount for $245, and the c1 for $285. So at this point I'm weighing cost, qd features (moot point for me realistically), and color. I have always wanted to try bobro products, specifically their buis, but ended up with magpul mbus pros so that went down the drain. I'm going to mow the lawn and mull it over a bit more and then pull the trigger on whatever. I think realistically either one is a winner.

Bobro are great and they do give a nice mil discount if you qualify. I have had about a dozen over the years and no issues other than lack of a lug. DOD did testing years ago and found bobro had the least amount of zero shift of any qd type mount on the market.

Larue is a terrible design and obsolete. In 2004 when there was nothing but cheap arms mounts that would break they were nice. However they are a pain to adjust and will fuck up a rail with a quickness.

Personally I could choose between a badger or ARC

Triad sells the c1 mounts for a good price and may have them in stock.