• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lpvo vs Reg Scopes

Pointman308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
Idaho
So I’m having a dilemma on setting up my rifle. I’ve been looking at the LPvo’s s for some time thinking that that’s the way that I should go. Right now I’m running a 3 to 9 with a canted red dot on my rifle and it seems to work really well. Why do I feel the need to go to an LPVO? What are some thoughts on this? I know three gunners used to use conventional scopes with canted red dots.

With all those details like type of rifle, application and what type/distance of shooting, it's easy to give advice.

The rifle is a 15.5 inch custom AR with a Lothar Walther stainless steel barrel suppressed. It shoots sub MOA with all ammo I’ve tested. I use it for defense, coyotes, and maybe two gun comps. (If I ever get the time.)
1ED45BAB-8527-48E8-BAD4-68B0A7550364.jpeg

I guess what it boils down to is how important is it to have a scope that is capable of 1x when I have an mrds on the can’t?

I feel like to be efficient running at the one power I’m doing too many things to be real effective by having to can’t my rifle. I guess I’m starting to become trendy with this LPVO craze.

TA33 than. You give up precision on high end and speed on low end for a light weight bombproof optic that is a great all around choice. I have the horseshoe but preffer the Chevron for more precise shots.

And you can piggyback your mrd on top for faster close up shots.

How often do you use your current scope up on 9x magnification?
If you use it a lot then you should probably stick with what you have got, unless you went for a 1-8x LPVO but they can get pretty pricey.

What kind of distances will you be shooting at? For my 2 gun rifle, I usually just run an Aimpoint Micro T1 for speed. Most of my local 2 gun matches are only like 60 yds max per stage so a red dot is perfect. If the distances increase, then I would my Gen2 Razor 1-6.

If your shooting requires longer shots more often (say 200+ yds), I’d recommend browsing the Optics PX here and looking for a good 1-6 or 1-8 LPVO (Burris, Steiner, Vortex G2 PST, Leupold, etc). I’ve seen some really good deals there lately. For close up shots you can just keep it at 1X and use it like a red dot, and then for longer shots, just crank up the magnification for more precision. Best of both worlds IMO.