• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LPVO w/ offset red dot, why?

Almost there. A 2-16 that snuck under 20oz and a center dot would be perfect. But.....thats a heck of a lightweight precision hunting scope feature set for sure.
Yea its as close as you will get.

2x vs 3x is negligible and weight is so close it doesnt matter.

Yea its as close as you will get.

2x vs 3x is negligible and weight is so close it doesnt matter.
For all intents and purposes, you are correct. But when your main use is running with the dang thing for 6 miles, you try to shave weight wherever possible...from anything you have to carry.

Please help me understand the new trend of an LPVO with an offset red dot. Isn't the whole point of an LPVO to have a true 1x while having the ability to run magnification when needed? Adding a red dot adds cost, weight and something else to fail (and batteries to think about).

Why don't more run a 2.5-15 or 3-15 with an offset red dot if they are doing the scope / dot combo?

Not trying to stir the pot, but it seems a lot of guys have trained with a dot to do room to room stuff and would rather not transition to an LPVO for similar task. This is coming from a guy who has no real world experience, I just don't see the addition of a red dot on an LPVO necessary unless the scope doesn't go to a true 1x.

End of the day, your gear, your choice. Train hard. Want to learn more.
There was a explanation about this by one of the primary secondary guys that basically said its not soo much about having to dial back to 1x with the LPVO but more so an alternative sight that would allow one better engage targets from a weird shooting positions.

I think I would agree with that line of thought.

The only criticism I have in regards to the LPVO concept, is if one is going to take the weight penalty that is commonly associated with 1-8/1-10 LPVO's and still run a red dot, it sort of more sense to run a 3-18 class optic.

100% agree. I don't bitch too much about it because I feel like if they developed EXACTLY what I wanted for this purpose, only me and a handful of people would purchase it. IMO, this type of optic done right with a piggy backed MRDS would be the holy grail combination for the all purpose lightweight carbine.

Thats because you are comparing it with a 45 degree red dot. If you piggy back it up top over a lower LPVO mount, your LPVO will not be faster at 1x and your transitions between the two optics will be a bit more natural. It will also allow you to use both optics support side, or grounded on either side, something a 45 mount wont allow. I won't say the transition will necessarily be faster, I have seen some guys work between a 45 and LPVO very quickly but I do find it a more natural transition up top.

What buttstock is this?

This has been addressed. We run Red Dots on top of LPVOs because no company makes great lightweight FFP 2.5-15's yet.

And I've been harassing them about this for eons. I do think good things are coming though. Not ideal, but in the ballparkk.

I have been trying to get someone to make a compact high quality 3-15x36 for probably close to a decade, but they are all convinced that it will not sell.

ILya

Larue is one of the worst Optic mounts for a bunch of reasons. If you are going QD, go Bobro or GDI. The rest is different shades of shit.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I usually do not engage with trolls or internet retards.... but I will bite....... I would love to see your data.

And FYI.... know anything about springs?

And I've been harassing them about this for eons. I do think good things are coming though. Not ideal, but in the ballparkk.

I have been trying to get someone to make a compact high quality 3-15x36 for probably close to a decade, but they are all convinced that it will not sell.

ILya

@koshkin Out of principle, I will buy :)

This thread is all sorts of fun...

A couple of points:
1) Fundamentally, an offset or piggybacked red dot sight is there for two reasons: redundancy and options. Redundancy is to account for both possible malfunctions and battery failure in the scope. The options part is aptly demonstrated by the diversity of opinions in this thread. Personally, I am not seeing a whole ton of speed difference between a small red dot and good quality LPVO, but I seem to be marginally faster with a holographic UH-1 than with either when shooting positions are odd. Then again, I am not very fast to start with, so that undoubtedly plays a role.
2) I have a couple of LaRue mounts and if you use the QD feature frequently, they chew up the rail and lose repeatability. Most of the QD mounts I have seen, even the ones that are repeatable if you simply remove them and reinstall them, are more susceptible to being bumped than normal fixed mounts. It probably has something to do with the springs. As far as the repeatability itself goes, a conventional high quality fixed mount is usually more repeatable if you use a torque wrench than any springloaded QD mount. I generally prefer to not use QD mounts when I do not need them. I do continuously test them looking for a good one and so far the inexpensive Burris AR-Signature mount is surprisingly good. I am not 100% sure why and we'll see how long it stays consistent. Perhaps something to do with long clamp engagement surfaces and beefy leaf springs.

ILya

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I usually do not engage with trolls or internet retards.... but I will bite....... I would love to see your data.

And FYI.... know anything about springs?
Oh wow insults and ignorance. You really are special in addition to lazy.

Had you done 5 minutes of research, this would have been one of the first hits.

You should really stop posting. I will wait for your appology but i doubt you have the character to admit when you are wrong.

I’ve owned up to 6 LRHS at one time. I don’t know how many I’d buy, but let’s safely call it 3.

• Haha
Reactions: rlsmith1
There are often two sides of a story.

It has been my observation that there are a lot of LaRue equipment haters that have never purchased one or used one, but rather just endlessly regurgitate the dark side internet gossip about the products. Much of the gossip relates to "rail gouging" and not optic mount return to zero issues, with the rail issues often due to inappropriate tension settings of the mounts or low quality rail assemblies v. steel cam locking mechanism of the mounts.

If I thought LaRue mfg. poor mounts I would have not purchased mount #2, or mount #10, at last count I own 34 LaRue mounts. Just one brand of many optic mount mfg. I have invested in.

When Army service members Giannelli & Homeyer won the 2010 International Sniper Competition using LaRue 16"-18" 7.62 OBR's with Night Force scopes (Horus 37 /58 reticles) and LaRue LT111 quick-disconnect mounts, it got the attention of the shooting community on a number of levels. They were getting 90% first round hits @ 800 -900 meters on 12" plates.

I assembled a similar rifle system with a S&B 5-25x56 Horus H59 reticle that was able to easily replicate their results.

Bryan Litz used the LaRue OBR rifle & mounts for his long range shooting data acquisition.

That is all.

View attachment 7539791View attachment 7539792View attachment 7539793View attachment 7539794View attachment 7539795View attachment 7539796
Bravo bravo!!

Why is it that in attempting to engage in some civil debate about products, some members just revert to employing f&^King this and that, as though that elevates the stock in their point of view.

Well, I'm also sure your Johnson is twice is long as mine and you are a nationally recognized rifle shooter. with a real name. As for dillo's, just a few I haven't already used as christmas tree ornaments, LOL!

Maybe you can reference some nationally recognized shooters that used LaRue mounts and failed miserably because of the mount; I be standing by for that information.

View attachment 7540747
Can I buy some of those Dillos off of u?

If they are light weight with a decent reticle I will take 3 so does that make 12? And how many does it take to get them to do it? I’m thinking March or Leupold but I’ll go with whatever the Dark Lord says.

Tier I glass, under 20 oz and actually 3-18x with quality image throughout the entire mag range. Needs to be under $500 while we are at it. Sounds like TT or ZCO 😂

Personally I'd prefer a 2-12x36 ish scope, if it were a 3-15 I feel I'd happily pay a slight weight penalty for a 44mm objective. Maybe a 2.4-14x36 could be a good compromise.

So long as it had a good FOV and a well designed reticle (like EBR-9) then I'd be down for 1 maybe 2.
I feel the $1000ish price point is the way to go value for money wise.

No idea where it's going to fall in the hierarchy but Leupold is going to have a MK3 HD line
4-12x40mm is going to be an option.

We're getting closer!

Looks like a newer Fab Defense.
@Jong yes @erwos is correct it is FAB defense. I spent a great deal of time testing the most popular buttstocks, I even wrote an article on it. In the end, I like this one better than all the rest when I expected to like it the least before the test started. Cliff notes version: QD swivel point with 360 degree rotation is highly desired, actuation lever up front is out of the way of rear support. Design does not snag/hang on things like the mininimalist MFT stocks do. Curved and rubberized rear buttstock clears armor, carriers and really sticks to the shoulder. Also has a nice cheekweld. The only downside was that lockup was not as tight as some of the others in the test, but still better than the most popular, ie MAGPUL. Didn't hurt that it proved to be lighter than most every other stock, even those advertising to be lighter.

Reactions: Jong
Personally I'd prefer a 2-12x36 ish scope, if it were a 3-15 I feel I'd happily pay a slight weight penalty for a 44mm objective. Maybe a 2.4-14x36 could be a good compromise.

So long as it had a good FOV and a well designed reticle (like EBR-9) then I'd be down for 1 maybe 2.
I feel the $1000ish price point is the way to go value for money wise.

And there in lies the first reason why this scope does not yet exist. $1000ish price point means China or Phillipines unless it is done by a brand that goes direct to consumer.

ILya

And there in lies the first reason why this scope does not yet exist. $1000ish price point means China or Phillipines unless it is done by a brand that goes direct to consumer.

ILya
My thinking in the $1000 was based around the Vortex PST, VX5 and LHTS level of quality, I'm more than happy with that level of glass/features/mechanical news.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't pay more as I'd imagine you'd get a better quality optic for the price but that's the price point I'd be most thrilled about.

Out of interest what were you thinking?
A LOW type level of scope or something more specialized like March?

I’m in for a few over the next year or two in the $1000-$2000 price range.

ILya
Add me to the list, although I do now have a PST 2.5-10x32 coming to tide me over, thanks for that recommendation. As for a direct to consumer brand, I think this should be the next optic in the MPO line, hopefully Brownell's will get you to design the reticle and make the warranty transferable. Although, if Delta can do the Stryker 1-6x24 at $695, maybe they could make this scope at the $1,200 price point. Another idea would be for Vortex to do a Razor LHT 3-15x42 in FFP with a EBR-?? Mil Tree reticle and keep the weight under 20 oz. Last idea would be for Element to make this scope their "Nexus" in a lower power version, but again, for me it's all about the weight for balance on an AR type platform.

Add me to the list, although I do now have a PST 2.5-10x32 coming to tide me over, thanks for that recommendation. As for a direct to consumer brand, I think this should be the next optic in the MPO line, hopefully Brownell's will get you to design the reticle and make the warranty transferable. Although, if Delta can do the Stryker 1-6x24 at $695, maybe they could make this scope at the $1,200 price point. Another idea would be for Vortex to do a Razor LHT 3-15x42 in FFP with a EBR-?? Mil Tree reticle and keep the weight under 20 oz. Last idea would be for Element to make this scope their "Nexus" in a lower power version, but again, for me it's all about the weight for balance on an AR type platform.

I too have a 2.5-10x32 PST that I like a lot but am hoping for a replacement/improved scope.

I emailed Vortex a year or so ago about putting the EBR-9 (or similar) reticle in the PST 2-10 but they said it wasn't on the cards.
I'd love a Leupold VX5/VX6 2-10/12 with a firedot tree reticle, that with the ZL2 turret would be excellent.
Even in SFP I'd still buy one but FFP and MRAD would be preferred.

I'd happily pay more for a higher end/better performing scope but in my (somewhat ignorant) opinion $1000 would be achievable based on the VX5hd and PST Gen2.

Let's just say that I have gingerly pitched the idea to a few brands.

ILya

Let's just say that I have gingerly pitched the idea to a few brands.

ILya
Gingerly?!?! Why? Cram it down their throats! Let them know they have no idea what it’s like to deal with a pissed off Russian... er American... er Jewish Russian American with Israeli ties... OK on second thought, you know far better than I, so ignore me and carry on, I’ll just be here whining about how I can’t have a 10 ounce, 1-100x50 Tangent Theta for $999.99...

Gingerly?!?! Why? Cram it down their throats! Let them know they have no idea what it’s like to deal with a pissed off Russian... er American... er Jewish Russian American with Israeli ties... OK on second thought, you know far better than I, so ignore me and carry on, I’ll just be here whining about how I can’t have a 10 ounce, 1-100x50 Tangent Theta for $999.99...
Everything is relative. Let’s just say that my version of gingerly is .... unorthodox.

ILya

Reactions: JDB55 and beetroot
As someone said earlier, it's about options. On patrol I run my scope at 6x so I have both options immediately available. On entries, I run it at 1x. On barricades I'm running it up & down based on what I need to look at.

As it is, my K16i weighs in at about a pound, and the total rifle package is relatively heavy at a little over 10lbs, so more weight at this point is not in the cards. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

The 45° offset also comes in handy for oddball positions like support side urban prone.

Reactions: JDB55
I love my LPVO's, and have been adding piggybacked RMR's to a lot of things because it adds reduncy, versatility and more night vision options. In that process, I realized that I could get away dropping the lower end of the magnification range for much of my usage. However, I wasn't seeing much of anything that met my requirements, so the Razor 1-10x is on my shopping list.

All that to say, I would be very interested in a 2-3x to 12-14x optic that comes in under 20 oz. I'd want excellent glass and strongly prefer an illuminated reticle.

Please help me understand the new trend of an LPVO with an offset red dot. Isn't the whole point of an LPVO to have a true 1x while having the ability to run magnification when needed? Adding a red dot adds cost, weight and something else to fail (and batteries to think about).

Why don't more run a 2.5-15 or 3-15 with an offset red dot if they are doing the scope / dot combo?

Not trying to stir the pot, but it seems a lot of guys have trained with a dot to do room to room stuff and would rather not transition to an LPVO for similar task. This is coming from a guy who has no real world experience, I just don't see the addition of a red dot on an LPVO necessary unless the scope doesn't go to a true 1x.

End of the day, your gear, your choice. Train hard. Want to learn more.
I think the biggest reason people use a 1-X instead of a 2-12 or higher in conjunction with a red dot is for AR15's specifically, 10 power is definitely good enough to reach as far as a 5.56 will reach accurately.

You can certainly shoot farther with higher magnification, and get tighter groups, but I think the main emphasis is on relatively fast "good enough" shots at distance rather than precision marksmanship like a sharpshooter or sniper's job. It's not set up for precision 800+ yard shots, it's more for 1-500yd combat accuracy.

If you're using this set up on a .308 or a 6.5 creed then by all means go with more magnification, the LPVO is for enhanced flexibility/versatility while the offset red dot is for "oh shit" moments when you either don't have time to switch your LPVO to 1x or you need red dot speed and FOV

ILya
If SWFA could give something based on the design of their 2.5-10x Ultralight with a FFP MIL-based reticle for <$1,000... :cool:

I'm literally throwing 12'oclock red dots on all my outdoor optics. Hunting hogs mostly made me a convert. The ability to raise my head slightly if the need demands it is now second nature , then I dial magnification when time allows.

For home defense : Eotech

Attachments

• 20220123_201207~3.jpg
    20220123_201207~3.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 2,837
  • 20220122_231601~2.jpg
    20220122_231601~2.jpg
    578.3 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

ILya
I’m contemplating changing my 1-10 for a NF 2.5-20 simply because what you described doesn’t exist. They could price it at $2k and still make a lot of sales

Reactions: JDB55
I'm literally throwing 12'oclock red dots on all my outdoor optics. Hunting hogs mostly made me a convert. The ability to raise my head slightly if the need demands it is now second nature , then I dial magnification when time allows.

For home defense : Eotech
I'm in the same boat for coyote hunting. I use a lightweight tripod, so tilting 45° isn't practical. A 12 o'clock RDS on my 3-9x Leupold gets the job done. Find fur with the RDS, then shift to the primary optic to prepare for the shot.

I just can't use scopes with tall turrets, so my SWFA 3-15x is out of the rotation (for now).

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
An offset setup that works well for me. Hogs on the property don't appreciate it much.
Nice rifle setup, been contemplating tenebraex caps as my standard rubber slip-ons have been falling off lately.

What data sleeve have you got on the table there? (Pic 2) Looks nifty.

^^It's a Rifles Only "Shooter Book". Has loop 10 round velcro backed "cards" that can be installed on multiple velcro pages.....options to buy
extra cards / dividers etc. The Clear page fits their "range card" offering. I use the SH with a slight trim and works fine. I use Tenebraex or Aadland caps on all my scopes, they are both 1st tier, with maybe an edge to Aadland as you can control the purchase tension with set screws.
IMG_1885.jpg
IMG_1887.jpg
IMG_1888.jpg
IMG_1889.jpg
DSCN3241 copy.JPG
DSCN3243a copy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WindstormSCR