• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LR-308 BUILD

GHOSTMAN1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2019
I am building my first LR-308 using Aero precision parts and my question is what will work best for a buffer system with a 20'' barrel? i was more or less thinking about using a carbine length buffer tube but not sure on the spring and buffer.

IMHO, it depends on the gas port size and gas system length size.... and Aero / BA is normal GP sized.
I use Tubbs 308 Flatwire recoil springs on all my Large Frame AR's

As for the buffer... that will depend on the internal OAl of the carbine receiver extension.
The Aero version is a "DPMS Pattern" and requires the use of a 2.5" 308 carbine buffer....
A "Armalite Pattern" / Vltor length carbine receiver extension ( buffer tube ) requires the use of commonly available 3.25" Ar15 carbine buffers.

IMHO, buy the heaviest buffer you can find.
2.5" DPMS pattern buffer from KAK 5.3oz
https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-p...idual-buffer-parts/lr308-carbine-buffer-heavy

And as for a 3.25" buffer ( Armalite Pattern / Vltor length ) ... just buy a quality H# buffer.

Given your 20" barrel ( and most likely ) rifle length gas system.... using the above parts will basically give you the same buffer weight of a typical rifle length buffer system.

Remember, Large Frame AR's typically need little extra break in...so be patient if the first few dozen rounds are fussy.

I prefer heavy buffers and recoil springs... so YMMV.

An Armalite AR-10 recoil system can be bought direct from Armalite for $65. It comes with an H3 buffer.

Reactions: SgtDog0311
Hope so... that's what I bought. Then started waffling on the 20". Still looking for a Rifle length gas option even if I go 18". Those seem a little harder to find than mid-length unless I chose the heavier profile.

To digress from the topic a moment... thanks for the Criterion tip. Got one. Should be in the mail today. Last of the deliveries so I'll be glued to YouTube after arrival, this being my first. Where to start? Trigger, LPK or barrel installation, or does it matter?

Reactions: bfoosh006
Thanks for the link. I watched and undoubtedly will watch again. The barrel nut on the M51E is a little different but I imagine I should be able to find more concerning the lapping there. I did get a G&G lapping tool expressly for the M51E.