• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LR 308 buttstock

bosulli

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2009
Austin, TX
Putting together a DPMS LR-308 in 6.5x47. Decided on the Magpul PRS stock. The description read that it goes on an A1/A2 buffer tube, which surprised me. Figured since the buttstock was just for AR10/LR308 that the buffer tube would be special too.

The big question is, are buffers interchangeable between AR15 and LR 308? I have many different length and weight AR15 buffers, so I hoping one that I have will do.

Re: LR 308 buttstock

I believe you need the 308 version because of the longer travel of the charging handle, it will hit the check piece on the 223 version if it is raised.

Missed the other question. I would only use a 308 buffer, I believe they are alot heaver to counter the 308 recoil.

There is NO DIFFERENCE between rifle-length buffer tubes/receiver extensions. The 5.56 and 7.62 ARs both use the same extension. As for the PRS...the only differences in length are that the AR10 PRS has a shortened cheek riser to allow for clearance of the longer charging handle when the riser is raised.

The differences are in the correct buffers and springs required for each. You will need the DPMS LR-308 rifle buffer and LR-308 rifle recoil spring...see here:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=4738

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=4737

When I got my LR308 I was surprised to find it had a length of pull around 14.5 inches...way longer than I'm comfortable with. So I swapped the A2 stock out for an A1 that is one inch shorter...problem solved. And the best part was that the shorter stock only cost around $7.00.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bosulli</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Putting together a DPMS LR-308 in 6.5x47. Decided on the Magpul PRS stock. The description read that it goes on an A1/A2 buffer tube, which surprised me. Figured since the buttstock was just for AR10/LR308 that the buffer tube would be special too.

The big question is, are buffers interchangeable between AR15 and LR 308? I have many different length and weight AR15 buffers, so I hoping one that I have will do. </div></div>

hmm, I may have seen your barrel today, for about 4 hrs going round and round.