• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LRB M25 build

NoExpert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
Riverside, CA
<span style="font-weight: bold">EDIT: New setup, see pics and specs further down</span>

I see a lot of familiar names from other forums I'm on so thought I'd finally contribute something here... I've been working on this for a while, finally got it to all come together.

Re: LRB M25 build

I'm not really sure, my best guess is 18 pounds until I can weigh it on an accurate scale. It was about 19 pounds with a 22" Krieger medium DMR barrel and I've made a few changes to try to reduce weight just a little (besides the shorter barrel) so I'd guess a pound less. Not too off hand friendly but very stable from prone, nearly no jump.

Nice rifle, did you get a rear lugged receiver?

Id be interested in seeing how it shoots.

I don't want to be a buzzkill but since your profile says Cali you might want to be careful about putting a flash hider or foregrip on it, makes for an SB23 violation. I think LEO with a letterhead is the only way to get around the stupid laws we have here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want to be a buzzkill but since your profile says Cali you might want to be careful about putting a flash hider or foregrip on it, makes for an SB23 violation. I think LEO with a letterhead is the only way to get around the stupid laws we have here. </div></div>

no need for concern...i am sure those were just photoshopped in
grin.gif

bench

I'm not sure if he edited the original, but he says the foregrip is only for outside CA and the muzzle device is a break not a flash hider.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oodin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure if he edited the original, but he says the foregrip is only for outside CA and the muzzle device is a break not a flash hider. </div></div>

That would make sense.

I just think of that because of a certain guy on a certain california website who had a little adventure with LEO after posting pics of his homemade sound suppressor and describing how it made his AR so quiet he could "shoot it in the backyard and not piss off his neighbors" (he lived in suburbia).

That's a VERY nice looking setup btw.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dtarget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle, did you get a rear lugged receiver? </div></div>

No, with the JAE there's no point in having a rear lug so I didn't want to spend the extra cash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Biased_Obser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id be interested in seeing how it shoots. </div></div>

Me too. I've shot golf balls at 100 yards with it no problem using surplus ammo. It'll be interesting to see how it groups on paper though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want to be a buzzkill but since your profile says Cali you might want to be careful about putting a flash hider or foregrip on it, makes for an SB23 violation. I think LEO with a letterhead is the only way to get around the stupid laws we have here. </div></div>

No worries, fore grip is off and muzzle brake is good to go. It looks like a hider but the exit hole is just a hair larger than the bullet and the flash is still there plain as day as well as being directed into the line of sight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not really sure, my best guess is 18 pounds until I can weigh it on an accurate scale. It was about 19 pounds with a 22" Krieger medium DMR barrel and I've made a few changes to try to reduce weight just a little (besides the shorter barrel) so I'd guess a pound less. Not too off hand friendly but very stable from prone, nearly no jump. </div></div>

damn that thing must be a mother%^&*&% to carry around

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zinny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">damn that thing must be a mother%^&*&% to carry around</div></div>

If I was Tiny Tim maybe... However at 6'2" and 260 pounds, for me it's really not that bad. Plus the Eagle sling really helps disperse the weight and makes it easier to carry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not really sure, my best guess is 18 pounds until I can weigh it on an accurate scale. </div></div>

Please post an update after you get the exact weight - thanks
cool.gif

Okay, I deleted the dead pic links above... because I have all new pics after changing the setup.

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

...and the specs:

LRB M25 receiver
LRB/Sadlak 20MOA extended rail with lightening modifications
USGI SA bolt
USGI SA op rod (melonited)
USGI SA trigger group tuned by SEI (melonited)
USGI SA gas cylinder with M25 vent mod (melonited)
USGI piston (melonited)
USGI NM rear sight with 595 hood
Tubb chrome silicone op rod and hammer springs
SureFire muzzle brake MB762-213F
SEI GLFS dovetail for 18" barrels
SEI socom gas plug
SEI extended bolt stop
XS USN hooded front sight
Sadlak NM hollow spring guide
Sadlak tactical magazine latch
Krieger medium weight, 18.5" barrel, stainless steel, 1:10 twist
Sage Mod 1 chassis
Vltor receiver extension with internal storage compartment
Magpul CTR stock
Magpul enhanced .70" butt pad
Magpul 1.25" riser
Magpul MIAD grip
Magpul XTM rail covers
Tango Down ACB-4 bipod
Eagle Industries Mk14 EBR sling
US Optics SN-3 1.8-10X37
ARC M3 34mm medium rings
Stainless steel roll pins
Hawk's AMBI kit with button lock installed
Eagle Industries HSRC LE 44 case
Eagle Industries HSC with muzzle protector
Eagle Industries SR-25 mag pouches
Condor T&T pouch
Pelican 1720 case

USO scope specs:

Model: SN-3
Parallax Control: ERGO Upgrade
Power: 1.8-10x
Objective: 37mm
Objective Cover: U.S.O. Flip-up
Sunshade: 37mm 2"
Honeycomb: Anti-Reflective Device (ARD)
Tube: 34mm
Color-Cerakote: Cerakote - Solid Color - Magpul FDE H-267
Eyepiece: Lo Profile - Rapid Focus
Eyepiece: Internal Level
Eyepiece Cover: U.S.O. Flip-up
Reticle Option: Mil-Scale GAP
Reticle Lighting Type: Digital Push Button (Red)
Knob - Elevation: EREK 1/10 MIL
Knob - Windage: US#1 1/10 MIL LEFT HAND SIDE
Knob - Windage: US#1 M40 Style 1/10 MIL LEFT HAND SIDE
Rifle S/N engraving on tube: M25-10026

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does that weigh - empty weight?

Thank you
</div></div>

it's about 15.5 pounds I think, I need to go weigh it still. Without the scope it was 13 pounds and I imagine the scope added 2+ pounds to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's too pretty, go out and get it dirty. </div></div>

It's not done yet, have a little more work to do. Soon though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does that weigh - empty weight?

Thank you
</div></div>

it's about 15.5 pounds I think, I need to go weigh it still. Without the scope it was 13 pounds and I imagine the scope added 2+ pounds to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's too pretty, go out and get it dirty. </div></div>

It's not done yet, have a little more work to do. Soon though... </div></div>

You could shed a little more by going to a NF 2.5-10x32, that things only 19 ounces. That is a bad rifle, I fell in love as soon as I saw it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: k9222</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could shed a little more by going to a NF 2.5-10x32, that things only 19 ounces. That is a bad rifle, I fell in love as soon as I saw it. </div></div>

Thanks. I looked long and hard at the NF 2.5-10X32 but couldn't get past the fact it's SFP (got spoiled with my previous USO). That was literally the deciding factor. The USO 1.8-10X37 is like it's big brother. I just picked up the scope last Friday and am really impressed with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Range report! </div></div>

Soon. I need to change one part, add another, then it's range time... to see how badly I shoot with it. I'll update this post after I finally get to the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the kind comments.

Dtarget said:
Nice rifle, did you get a rear lugged receiver? </div></div>

No, with the JAE there's no point in having a rear lug so I didn't want to spend the extra cash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Biased_Obser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id be interested in seeing how it shoots. </div></div>

Did I miss something here?

That's not a JAE stock. It's a sage stock.

What kind of bag is that? I need one of those.

Ok...so how much do you have into the beast...about 6K???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the kind comments.

Dtarget said:
Nice rifle, did you get a rear lugged receiver? </div></div>

Did I miss something here?

That's not a JAE stock. It's a sage stock.

What kind of bag is that? I need one of those.

Ok...so how much do you have into the beast...about 6K??? </div></div>

I have to apologize, originally I did have a JAE setup...

M25V256.jpg

However late last year I decided to change it up to a Sage Mod 1 with a few other changes.

As for the case, it's an Eagle HSRC LE 44 in khaki, I really like it, for a 18"/18.5" barreled setup it fits just right. For a 22" barrel you'd need to get the standard size HSRC that's 51" long.

Cost... I prefer not to disclose that in public.

So what do you think between the JAE and the Sage?

Pros...cons...which do like better and why?

I have a JAE and it really shoots well. For a semi auto... I think it's about as good as it gets.

I have a similar set-up, and it weighs 16.4 lbs. loaded with 20 round mag. 17.2 lbs. with the scope.

I never could understand why the weight was checked empty. You can't use it empty, you won't carry it empty ?

Mine is $4200.00, and counting, as I update to better glass. The IOR snipers hide model ! But me no gottie 1600 bucks !
I have the same sling also and the wide band really does help.
My wish list is the Eagle bag though, I am working on it.
Heck of a set-up you have there No Expert, nice job !

I don't have side by side accuracy results yet so I won't comment on that till I do. I will say the JAE held 1.5 MOA or less with surplus ammo which I think is pretty darn good (especially since I'm not the best shooter).

Pros so far...

The Sage took about 4 pounds off the weight of the rifle, that was my main reason for switching.
The JAE took a while to go from scope to iron sights, with the riser bottomed out it was too high for me to see through the irons so it had to come off. The Sage takes me about a minute to go to irons, if I had QR rings it'd probably be about 30 seconds.
Cost, the Sage Mod 1 was $870 from Clyde Armory, my JAE was over double that.
The Sage's length of pull can be adjusted quickly which is nice since I like a longer LOP shooting prone than standing/sitting/crouching. It also makes it fit in the cases a little easier when fully collapsed.
The Sage Mod 1 has an Vltor storage extension tube, also the MIAD grip I installed has a storage compartment. I keep the allen wrench to remove my scope in the grip.
The Sage Mod 1 has top and bottom full length rails and 6" side rails, the side and bottom rails can be removed if desired.

Cons so far...

Overall the action is hard to remove from the Sage chassis. You have to remove the top rail (5 screws), remove the grip, remove the trigger group, remove three screws holding the op rod block, then remove the action. However I don't plan to remove the action very much.
The trigger is not designed for a pistol grip, so the tip of my finger lands on the tip of the trigger, rather uncomfortable. There is a new trigger shoe made for the Sage setup so I'll be trying that shortly.
The current Sage chassis come with a crush washer to replace the front band which bites the big one. I had a guy make me a custom shim that's the same OD as my barrel and locks up the gas lock perfectly.
With a Sage in CA you have to fix the magazine which means I'll be top loading my mag.

I think the JAE is a great stock for precision, it'll let you squeeze a lot of accuracy out of your action. If you plan to carry your rifle though, you may want to look at a Sage. That's what got me looking at things differently. I had a 22" medium weight barrel and went to 18.5" medium weight barrel making it a little handier. Went for a hike in the mountains and it was still 20+ pounds on my back. Now it'll be closer to 16 pounds on my back and even less when I change to a standard weight 18.5" barrel later.

These are good days for M14 variant owners with all the various options coming to the market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a similar set-up, and it weighs 16.4 lbs. loaded with 20 round mag. 17.2 lbs. with the scope.

I never could understand why the weight was checked empty. You can't use it empty, you won't carry it empty ?

Mine is $4200.00, and counting, as I update to better glass. The IOR snipers hide model ! But me no gottie 1600 bucks !
Heck of a set-up you have there No Expert, nice job ! </div></div>

Thanks.

The Eagle HSRC LE 44 is spendy if you can even find one. I only found one shop with them in stock and I paid full retail for it. They have two in green available still, I took their last khaki one.

I think the reason for empty weight is the ammo is variable while the rest is pretty consistent. For example, I'm in CA and can only run 10 rounds in my setup now, NJ has a 15 round limit, some states only allow 5 rounds for hunting, some people run the CMI 25 round mags... So you can give the empty weight as a baseline and people can add their ammo of choice to the weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That SN3 is a 34mm tube? Was that hard to get from USO, long wait? </div></div>

Yes, it is a 34mm tube. Um, let's just say I got very lucky to have it made. The scope took 15 weeks to get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csterl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that thing a RAW? If you are not LEO and your in Riverside you better get that mag release cut down. </div></div>

The mag release is blocked by a pin internally so it can't move, the only way to remove the mag is to drop the trigger group which is considered disassembling the rifle making it legal. Also the magazine has been blocked and epoxied to only hold 10 rounds, also making it legal.

Trust me guys, I know the laws and none have been broken with my setup. Even went with a brake in case I decide to swap it back to a non pistol grip stock later in life.

NoExpert, didn't want to get in your business but I would hate to see a fellow California gunner get in trouble with our insane laws. I have run into so many people who have no idea that what they have is illegal that I automatically err on the side of caution. Hope I didn't offend you. Enjoy that beast! I had a M1A in a JAE stock for years and loved it even though it was a heavy mother!
grin.gif

Not offended at all, the appearance is very deceiving. You're not the first to comment on it, so I was making a blanket statement for all. Personally I'd rather have someone tell me even if I already know, rather than not tell me and I don't know.

I went with the way I did to block the release since I shoot out of state and prefer to have my detachable 20 round mags for that (I don't own any 10 round mags except the one I made). On my 5 round I modified a floor plate and Magpul ranger plate to work together, has worked very well for me (and several others who have asked me to make some for them).

IMG_0433.jpg

As for the release being non op...

IMG_0435.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoExpert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a similar set-up, and it weighs 16.4 lbs. loaded with 20 round mag. 17.2 lbs. with the scope.

Heck of a set-up you have there No Expert, nice job ! </div></div>

Thanks.

The Eagle HSRC LE 44 is spendy if you can even find one. I only found one shop with them in stock and I paid full retail for it. They have two in green available still, I took their last khaki one.

I think the reason for empty weight is the ammo is variable while the rest is pretty consistent. For example, I'm in CA and can only run 10 rounds in my setup now, NJ has a 15 round limit, some states only allow 5 rounds for hunting, some people run the CMI 25 round mags... So you can give the empty weight as a baseline and people can add their ammo of choice to the weight. </div></div>

Ahh, I see now. Thanks ! I always wondered about that.

I can answer how the stock performs M21 Guy, mine anyway. It is unbelievable accuracy improvement over a wood stock. I think from the capture point of the barrel op rod guide being done.
Only problem is that when I take it out and put it back, it takes a few rounds to be back where it was hitting. Very strange considering it is a rigid system. I took the barrel tension screw out and threw it down the hill. Now it shoots well.

Even glass bedded rifles have to settle in which takes a few rounds to do. My JAE had to settle in also, nothing out of the ordinary with the Sage.

From what I understand, the barrel tension screw is to help control barrel whip. I turned mine down so it just touches, then backed off a little. Have to wait to see how it does...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ahh, I see now. Thanks ! I always wondered about that.

I can answer how the stock performs M21 Guy, mine anyway. It is unbelievable accuracy improvement over a wood stock. I think from the capture point of the barrel op rod guide being done.
Only problem is that when I take it out and put it back, it takes a few rounds to be back where it was hitting. Very strange considering it is a rigid system. I took the barrel tension screw out and threw it down the hill. Now it shoots well. </div></div>

Well we'll see about that. Chassis systems are rigid yes, even moderately tailored in some cases, but a properly fitted stock with truly well done bedding job is completely tailored to that rifle. My next range trip will be seriously trying for my best groups. They are quite tight. Say 10 rounds at a 100 bench or bipod. Everyone has at least that available to them. I'd like to see people with different chassis system post up there results in comparison after I do. I'll start a new thread on it. I want to acquire a little variety of ammo first. Couple choices I'd like to try. It give NoExpert here an opportunity to get his squared away. A friendly online, post it up, challenge would be fun. More to follow in coming weeks.

You know I'm game. I may have to steal some match ammo from a friend, otherwise it'll be good old British RG surplus ammo. A properly bedded action will usually smoke the M14 chassis systems available, but that doesn't mean I won't try.

Count me in for that challenge. Mine is a Bedded NM model, no rear lug though.

295632_10150288799657940_699592939_7815925_4439558_n.jpg
For the life of me I couldn't hold a ten round group like this using FGMM without fucking myself over. This is just 4 shots on a sticky dot for a little warm up. The rifle does it, but shit 10 shot groups are tough. Maybe the Southwest 175s and the new Atlas will give me a little better results?

Yeah, I've done 3 shot groups like that and 5 shot groups that were close. But I guarantee I can't hold that for 10 shots. Will be worth a try though. I might get a chance to do it tonight.

On the other hand, I shot with irons yesterday and held a nice 1.5" group with 10 rounds. From prone with sling nonetheless, no rest.

Just tried it. First 4 shots were right on top of each other. Then it started to string downwards. This is not surprise as I have a medium weight barrel, not a heavy.

I'm attempting it again now letting it cool between shots. Posting now while I wait.