• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LRF recommendations

Which LRF

• Sig 3k

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Sig 5k

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Vortex 4k

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Vortex 4k GB

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Leica 2400

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leica 2800

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

z7.jled

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2014
Tampa, FL
I need a new LRF for bow hunting, my old one (Nikon from 12 years ago) still works but it’s in rough shape, dog chewed the button off etc

I’d like the LRF to work in the rifle shooting world as well, I have access to a 1000yd range where you have to place your own targets, so being able to get an accurate measure of the target distance is important

I don’t want to spend more around $700 and I don’t want a binocular, I already have good binoculars

I have hornady 4dof and TRASOL on my phone so I don’t need a ballistic solver, I have an old kestrel 4500 NV HORUS, A

I have guidefitter insider pricing and vortex LEO/MIL pricing

Sig 3k or 5k,
Vortex razor 4000, (original or GB)
Leica 2400 (maybe 2800)

What say you? Which will serve best? The cheapest is the sig or vortex 4K original ($399 at europtic for a demo)

It's really nice to have your dope in the LRF at times. I have the Sig2400 and have been very happy with it. It rages well and is fast and I put my custom bullet profiles in it and it spits out my dope. You can use the wind meter too but I don't when using it. You can either use a kestrel to link or like I have, put your profiles in the unit and no need for a kestrel just the gun and LRF and you're good. Just my experience.

Reactions: z7.jled
I had been looking at quite a few rangefinders and bought the Leica 2800.com last week, almost bought the Leica 2400. I have a Kestrel 5700 Elite and I do like how the rangefinder sends over the range info to the Kestrel. After using it I'm glad I bought the 2800 over the 2400.

I find myself in the market for a new rangefinder at the moment as well. Went to shoot some steel this past weekend and my og kilo was having a real hard time out past 400 yards. I've hit targets with it farther before, but it's usually in cooler or overcast conditions. Buddy I was with has a set of swaro EL binos and 735 was the last reading we got out of those. We've ranged targets with those to 1300 in the past. (I've never shot that far) Not sure if it was the mirage from the south Texas sun or what.

So what's a solid rangefinder that will function in poor conditions? Primary use would be ranging steel and animals at least to 1k. I'm just starting to get okay at longer distance shooting so I'd like to be able to accurately range steel at or preferably over 1000 yards.

I find myself in the market for a new rangefinder at the moment as well. Went to shoot some steel this past weekend and my og kilo was having a real hard time out past 400 yards. I've hit targets with it farther before, but it's usually in cooler or overcast conditions. Buddy I was with has a set of swaro EL binos and 735 was the last reading we got out of those. We've ranged targets with those to 1300 in the past. (I've never shot that far) Not sure if it was the mirage from the south Texas sun or what.

So what's a solid rangefinder that will function in poor conditions? Primary use would be ranging steel and animals at least to 1k. I'm just starting to get okay at longer distance shooting so I'd like to be able to accurately range steel at or preferably over 1000 yards.
I'm not sure where you are located in south Texas but I shoot up at CCC and if you're nearby you are welcome to try out my Leica 2800. I live in Magnolia. I just bought them a little over a week ago and only used them once at the range.

I'm not sure where you are located in south Texas but I shoot up at CCC and if you're nearby you are welcome to try out my Leica 2800. I live in Magnolia. I just bought them a little over a week ago and only used them once at the range.
I appreciate that. I'm actually on the coast, about an hour south of Houston. Friend of mine has a lease around cotulla where I get to go shoot at times.