• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

LRP-07 6.5 Creedmoor with suppressor... What barrel length?

bbowles

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2013
Missouri
Going to order one of these. What barrel length to buy? Used to custom bolt guns in 26" suppressed. Hate shooting without suppressor. Spoiled me. Use for this is non-competition at steel up to 1000. Might sneak in and play prs style once in while for fun. What you guys think? Thanks for the help.

JP recommends:
Overall Length: 24 IN
Gas Block Diam.: 0.936 IN
Twist Rate: 1-7.5 Inches
Muzzle Threads: 5/8-24 TPI
Crown: recessed
Steel: 416R Stainless Steel
Contour Type: AR10/DPMS, Bull or HBAR

I replaced mine with a 24" and the XL gas system from TBOX.
Gas gun suppressed is messy with the carbon blow back into the chamber.

How much worse mess than typical ar15? How long between cleaning? I usually cleaned my ar15 every 200 to 300 rounds.

Whatever JP recommends IMO. They know what they're doing. I have an LMT 24" and my max range at my club is 400yds and it's silly accurate with me-average shooter-at the helm.

How much worse mess than typical ar15? How long between cleaning? I usually cleaned my ar15 every 200 to 300 rounds.
Not terribly dirty if you set them up right. I'm running a JP 22" 6.5 Creed with the +2 gas, VMOS carrier and H2 buffer with an Omega. Relatively low back pressure suppressors combined with the long gas system and heavier operating system all work to keep things running smooth.

That particular rifle had 4 shooters run it at a local precision rifle match. Ran like a champ all day.
C_1.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys! Very helpful. Guess I need to spend some money and wait

I reload my cases from the JP. With the supressor, they take extra time to get clean. I found I had to clean my bolt and action every 100 rounds with the 7 inch Thunderbeast attached. In PRS, a bad feed can cost the stage. Without the suppressor 80% of the feed issues went away.

This is the JP gas block shooting suppressed after 2,000 rounds. They (JP) said that is normal wear.......
IMG_1993.jpg

Travis,
You got me rethinking this. I DON'T want a rifle with that much maintenance required. My bolt guns can go 400 to 500 or more before maintenance to gun or suppressor. Maybe I should do more but both customs are incredible shooters. Boringly accurate. Ha. So I don't clean more often.

I'd argue the cleanliness issue is more to do with the suppressor than the rifle. TBAC's typically have a higher back pressure than an Omega. You can actually work around that issue by increasing the mass of the operating system and tuning the gas. About how many clicks did you tune the gas block for the suppressed setting?

With a 6.5 Creed you can also use heavier for class bullets like the 140's which do a bit better in suppressed systems. My experience has been quite the opposite of the above. Even if I'm not cleaning for a few matches and months of use my JP runs great.

Reactions: rjjk1981
Agree, the suppressor on gas gun is a maintenance issue. Without it, the JP runs great and is a 3/4 inch gun with hand loads.
I run about 2950 fps using Lapua 123 gr Scenar.

Reactions: rjjk1981
Realistically, how often do you maintenance an AR 10 suppressed? Not trying to be lazy but with my work I have little time and don't want to spend too much of it cleaning. My bolt guns at 400 rounds or so is no big deal. When it is time to clean the suppressor i soak it for day or so and scrub. It is a nasty pain as you know.

I know my 6.5 Creed has gone well beyond 400 rounds between cleanings. 4 shooters at a ~90 round match plus pre-match familiarization, post match shennanigans and it hadn't been cleaned over the previous week's activities.

I actually made a bet with a friend about how many rounds I could go without cleaning. He couldn't get his rifle to run more than 50 if I'm remembering correctly.

What rifle is your 6.5 in? That would be great if I could get a shooter that would work like that.

This is a 1000 yard group with the original Prime 6.5 creedmoor with my JP LRP07. It is an older factory rifle with the 8 twist, rifle length gas, 22inch jp barrel. I shoot suppressed all the time. Round count is around 1500.

Attachments

• 20190901_153446.jpg
    20190901_153446.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 20190901_161516.jpg
    20190901_161516.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 52
The muzzle velocity on the prime is 2860fps and it is at about 1500fps at 1000 yards. I run a 9 inch can.