• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Lucas Bore Guide

lonely_wolf

Woof.
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2009
Up North
Anyone know if Mike is still making the bore guides?

I have sent and email and called (803 356-0282) but no answer...

Anywhere else they can be bought?

Re: Lucas Bore Guide

Yes he does. I received 3 from him last week. As mentioned he might be hunting or something.

Are these custom I take it? If so, what are the advantages of his product, over something store bought, say at Dicks, Bass Pro, or a local gun shop? Only "long range" shooting experience is 500yd with an M16 while in the Corps, but I have a 700 in .300 WSM that I'm pretty excited to start building on, and spend quite a bit of my free time on here, reading/learning. Starting the online training this next month as well, heard nothing but great things so far. Back to this thread though, are these caliber-specific? And a set price, or are there options? Thanks in advance guys.

He makes them in batches, got an email today saying mine would ship soon, sent payment a couple weeks ago after emailing him. He was prompt on the email and was early by a few days when he would ship.

They are not custom, he just makes a great bore guide that has a nice tight fit in the receiver. Plus Mike is a great guy to deal with, so I always go to Lucas first.

Lucas bore guides are GTG. I have them for my .223 and .308 and I highly recommend them.

Lucas is all I use for precision rifles. He is usually busy mowing or whatever. Don't be surprised if all you talk to is his wife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kellogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are these custom I take it? If so, what are the advantages of his product, over something store bought, say at Dicks, Bass Pro, or a local gun shop? Only "long range" shooting experience is 500yd with an M16 while in the Corps, but I have a 700 in .300 WSM that I'm pretty excited to start building on, and spend quite a bit of my free time on here, reading/learning. Starting the online training this next month as well, heard nothing but great things so far. Back to this thread though, are these caliber-specific? And a set price, or are there options? Thanks in advance guys. </div></div>

They are caliber specific. Just call or e-mail him and tell him its a 700 action in 300 wsm and the model of cleaning rod you'll be using. They have o-rings on the guide and insert to prevent solvent from getting in places you don't want it. I've got 4 of his now and love them. The cost for one guide with 2 inserts was around $50.
Here's his contact info:
<span style="font-weight: bold">Mike Lucas
225 Browns River Rd.
Lexington, s.c. 29072

[email protected]

803-356-0282 </span>

Semper Fi
LegioX

+1 on his guides, I use one for my .308.

It is a top quality bore guide, the fit into the chamber is spot on.

Hey Vman,
Im in the market for a new bore guide, where abouts did you get yours from? You buy it from the States or somewhere here?

Cheers

Pete

Hey Pete hows it going bro.

I ordered mine directly via Mike Lucas... I dropped him an email and within a few days he responded. Got mine at the end of 2009 I think.

To save yourself the trouble of back and forth emails, just send him the one email asking him the following

- Price + shipping to OZ
- Make and model eg. R700 Long Action Sendero in .300winmag
- Make and model of cleaning rod eg. Dewey Cleaning rod in whatever calibre
- And his paypal address

Once he gets back to you, place the order and you should have it in a few weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kellogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are these custom I take it? If so, what are the advantages of his product, over something store bought, say at Dicks, Bass Pro, or a local gun shop? Only "long range" shooting experience is 500yd with an M16 while in the Corps, but I have a 700 in .300 WSM that I'm pretty excited to start building on, and spend quite a bit of my free time on here, reading/learning. Starting the online training this next month as well, heard nothing but great things so far.</div></div>
The Lucas Bore Guide (actually <span style="font-style: italic">rod guides</span> as someone once saw fit to correct <span style="font-style: italic">me</span> about) are not "custom" per se, but they are machined to precisely fit particular actions. I know that the Guides that I have for the Remington SA will also fit the Winchester Model 70 SA and WSM and FN SPR actions.

The advantages of buying a Lucas Guide are that (a) You know that that the product is of a high quality, and that it will fit, Mike Lucas stands behind his products, his customer service and shipping time is very good, and he doesn't hose you on the shipping cost (part of good C.S.). Personally, I like supporting a fellow shooter when I can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kellogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back to this thread though, are these caliber-specific? And a set price, or are there options? Thanks in advance guys. </div></div>
The Lucas Guides are not caliber-specific, so once you have a Lucas Guide to fit your action or actions, you can use that Guide for cleaning various caliber rifles by inserting different caliber inserts. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Inserts are sold separately, so be sure to order whatever (caliber) inserts you need</span></span> (some calibers use a common insert, i.e. .30 caliber).

Keith

Thanks for the replies. I send another email listing my specs and address.

Hunting? Lucky guy. I try not to think about. No luck for me getting out this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Pete hows it going bro.

I ordered mine directly via Mike Lucas... I dropped him an email and within a few days he responded. Got mine at the end of 2009 I think.

To save yourself the trouble of back and forth emails, just send him the one email asking him the following

- Price + shipping to OZ
- Make and model eg. R700 Long Action Sendero in .300winmag
- Make and model of cleaning rod eg. Dewey Cleaning rod in whatever calibre
- And his paypal address

Once he gets back to you, place the order and you should have it in a few weeks. </div></div>

Thank for the information mate.

Pete

Just received mine about a week a or two ago and all I can say is wow. Like Johndoe said, well worth any wait.

i sent him another email with all my details but no reply,is it he orders the email orders seperate from the phone call orders,now i dont mind waiting for it,its just id like to get the ball rolling

His bore guides are a bit longer than the ones I was using: forced me to get longer cleaning rods.

The Lucas guides are great! some of my buddies still use them as I used to with awesome results.I use TK Nolan guides now in my Bench guns and my Precision rigs.They are expensive and machined out of stainless.They are works of art and allot of the the world class shooters use them.I can honestly say that TK's guides are the best to me.

Lucas guides are great tho.

maybe you guys can help. I am new to cleaning a rifle the "right way"...so after reading the forums here I contacted Mike Lucas to order a bore guide for my unfired 300WSM....I asked for suggestions on what bore rod I should get to fit the Lucas guide or what was best. He said "no suggestion". So now I sit waiting on the guide but have no idea what I need next. Can someone please help me make a decision on a real good rod, brush, jag and all round solvent. Seemed like I bothered him for asking, sorry I did. Thanks

You can't go wrong with Dewey or Bore tec....when I ordered my bore guide, Mike asked me what kind and how long my cleaning rod was. I guess so he could make the bore guide just long enough so the jag would just clear the end of the barrel.

Wipe out soaking over night is all I use anymore...makes it too easy!

BnG

Great bore guide I have a bunch and nothing if a better fit

Thanks for the suggestion. guess Lucas just didnt feel like helping me as a customer that particular day. I just didn't know if all his bore guides took a specific diameter rod or what.