• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Luminox Watches

Pete E

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2004
North Wales, UK
I am thinking about getting a Luminox Captains Field Watch
417313UcjFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anybody use a Luminox watch or know anything about them? I'm particularly interested in comments regarding there reliability ect...

Regards,

Peter

Re: Luminox Watches

I have two Luminox watches; a chronograph and a regular unit. I have owned both for years and have had zero issues with either.

I've been wearing Luminox's for the past 15 years. I am on my 3rd but technically my 2nd..lol My 1st one was one of the 1st edition watches #3005 I think. It lasted about 6-7 years until an 8 ton tractor ran it over and broke the case and crystal, don't ask how,lol..The bastard still kept time and I still have the remains! If I was to put in a new battery, it would tick away. I then purchased an 8100 series stainless chrono with sapphire crystal and stainless bracelet. It was an excellent watch and took some hard abuse. The stainless bracelet broke and the battery died so I sent it to the factory repair center to get fixed. Got it back and for some reason they installed a new case. I was happy, watch looked brand new. It lasted 10 minutes on my wrist until the hands were dangling loose in the case. To make a long story short.. It was back and forth 3 times for this issue and the problem could not be found. I was in talks with the higher ups at Luminox and at this point, I told them to take that watch and throw it in the scrap pile as far as i'm concerned because it'll never be right and I want a new replacement. I rely on my watch for day to day operations and it can't fail on me..yada yada yada.. After some haggling, I got them to send me a brandy new 8362 chrono for a replacement with no questions asked. That 8100 series was also about 7 years old at the time. Now I have the 8362.. It takes a serious ass whoopin' yea, I'm hard on watches and the bracelet broke in less than a year...lol However, because I am so hard on watches, I was leery of the black PVD finish not holding up. It is worn but nowhere to the extent that I thought it would be by now. After I get a Maratac strap for it.. it will go back on my wrist never to come off again. They are good watches and thats my story.

I've beaten my luminox to death for about 5 years, broke I think 7 bands, never changed a battery. I'm thinking about sending it in for a new bezel and trying a different companies band, but it still ticks just fine.

Thanks Gents, thats very reassuring...

I was also consider a Traser or Nite watch, but have heard mixed reports on both of those...

Its funny this hread is going as I am also thinking about going with a Luminox. Sadly there are no dealers close by for me to try one on. My problem, I have worn Tags for the past 20 years. I am on my third and my first looks as good as my current. I know what i'm getting. Luminox look good but am unsure about durablity. I am in the market for a black bezel, chrono type with a rubber or similiar material band. Basically, I don't want to be wearing a big silver watch on the line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its funny this hread is going as I am also thinking about going with a Luminox. Sadly there are no dealers close by for me to try one on. My problem, I have worn Tags for the past 20 years. I am on my third and my first looks as good as my current. I know what i'm getting. Luminox look good but am unsure about durablity. I am in the market for a black bezel, chrono type with a rubber or similiar material band. Basically, I don't want to be wearing a big silver watch on the line. </div></div>

The durability is 1st rate! I never had a TAG and never will...because I am that hard on watches and would beat it to shit. It still might tick perfect but.. If you want a black bezel chrono to hammer around, this would be it.. and it is what I have..
http://luminox.800rpm.com/index.php?/sit...ronographs/8362

replace the steel bracelet with a ZULU strap or similar and it's hollywood.

I have had my luminox for two years and I had to send it to the factory within the first two weeks I owned it. I received a paper stating all the internals were replaced. My buddy has also owned the same watch and had numerous problems with it....but other than my inconvienence I have not had any problems with my watch....then again I also have an office job!

I would like to tell you my experience with Luminox. I bought one for my son 8th grader this christmas. Monday he left it on top of his locker at school during PE, and upon return it was gone.
I called Luminox to inquire about a serial number, to be entered into FCIC/NCIC as stolen property. Well very graciuosly Luminox offered a watch at 50% off retail to replace the watch that someone stole.

They definitely did not have to do that. I will buy watches from them from now on.

Jack

Sorry guys but I do not like Luminox. I had a couple and sold both of them only after they broke and I had them repaired by the factory. And didn't get any relief on the cost of the repair even though A) I was on active duty and B) their crappy watches shouldn't have failed at the time they did. The problem was both breaks were BS and should never have happened. My G-Shock would have laughed both of the hits off. In fact, any of my dive watches I have owned would have laughed the hits off.

You couldn't give me a Luminox and in fact, probably couldn't pay me to wear a Luminox.

Just my opinion based on my experiences.

I've had one for probably almost 10 yrs, runs perfect, tritium is still working great and has stood up to some pretty hard use. Only problem is about 3 yrs ago the date mechanism stopped working right. I've never looked into getting it fixed.

JM2C

I've had one for about 4 years now and have not had a single problem. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

ive had mine for 10 years after 2 years it started to fog so i sent it back they said no warranty 1 month past oh well how much to fix ?
100. bucks i said screw that i paid 150 for it just ship it back they said 54 bucks for checking it out and to ship it back
i said to hell with it fix the damn thing so i spend the 100
and i get it back a month later the batterie died i spend alot of money and they cant replace the 2.00 batterie and pressure test it?
thats why ill never buy any of their product again
buy a marathon
DSCF3119.jpg

Have a Blue Face one for over 15 years. 1 New Band, 2 New Batteries, That's IT! Wear It EVERYDAY!! Enough Said!!!
HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!! Best $100-135 I Ever Spent!!!!!!!!!

Ive got an 8800 series last year and ive been very impressed. The crystals are supposed to last 25years and the rings need to be changed out every 2 years. The P/C carbon case, as stated above, is very durable.

I've been wearing the original Seal version almost every day since 2001. 1 battery and 2 bands later it is still going strong.

I got an OD green face "Seal" version as a Christmas gift in 2006. It started losing time in 09, a year short of the advertised battery life. When I sent it back, the service center advised it needed "rebuilt".....$76.95 including return shipping.
It's worked fine since then, and it only needs setting when the time changes. I like it, but I wouldn't have spent that much on a watch for myself, and I won't buy another one when this one craps out.

I've had bad luck with them. Been through 2, one with a broken crystal and the other just stopped. G-shocks since then with no problems.

I wear mine every day. Broke one band, but never had a problem with the watch otherwise. Had it for 4 years. It is a "seal" version. My friend had his band break and a car drove over the watch on blacktop. No damage to watch. Great quality other than band.

I can't recall what model mine is, but it wasnt meant to be in the ocean alot. Mine fogged up and the rubber band is cracked all over.

Very Interesting comments on the bands. Mine broke after a year and Lum told me NO Warranty. I have never had a rubber band break that quick and that easily. This whole Navy Seal / Military grade is nothing but a cheep marketing ploy. They are consumer grade watches with a good lumination.

I bought a professional dive series Luminox, I forget the model, but it was an analog with some digital features. I had nothing but problems. The stem pulled out,got it fixed; it fogged up, got it replaced; fogged up right away after being replaced with a new one, they gave me full MSRP of $375.00, at my request, towards an EVO model, that I was told was bulletproof. As far as I can tell they are right. I broke a keeper on the rubber band once in the 5 or 6 years that I have worn it every minute of every day since. I am a carpenter, so it takes a beating daily as well as boating, shooting etc. Luminox did me well as all work on the first watch was done under warrantee, and ,then credited me full towards the upgraded model that I swear by.
I would not hesitate to buy another

Luminox 3102 bought used over 5 years ago, love the watch, great illumination, one battery replaced, otherwise trouble-free... I don't know the age of my watch, but know that the tritium is still very bright.

I had one and had the second hand fall off while mtn biking. I had it repaired @ the factory and then a year later the crown fell off. I threw it away and laugh each time I see one for sale. Just my experiance. I have had a Citizen N.D. Limites Aqualand for 15 years and have beaten the hell out of it and cant kill it. I wish I could b/c I want a Seamaster.

If you want to read about watches: http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php

the best forum I have found about watches.

Now, what they consider though, is Marathon SAR, google it.
Or Casio G-shock. Thats what they talk about when they mean beater watches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rugger1330</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a closer note, does anyone have a recommendation for a good band for the Luminox Seal dive watch. </div></div>

"the band"

I have one of the navy seals editions with the "fast strap" the strap finally gave way after almost 3 years. the watch has numerous scratches on the bezel, but only one or two on the crystal. it still keeps perfect time. I wear it almost every day, except for when I am home from work, in which case i wear a more fancy citizen, but i think i like my luminox better. i think for my next one i will probably get a 1844 luminox, only problem with that one is the price tag

I have posted on other threads about bad experience with luminox especially the saltzman service. My broken f-117 nighthawk sits on my desk right now. First one lasted 3 months then died. This one has done great for 5 years then the unidirectional bezel fell off and Saltzmans doesn't know if they can get the parts (besides being jerks on the phone). They wanted me to send the watch in then they would see if they could get the part. When I ask why he couldn't check to see if the part was available he actually laughed. The watch is "No longer supported.". I have looked for a replacement for a year and cannot find anything close for the money. Anyway spoke with a jeweler the other day and get the same answers Tag etc. Just really am not going to pay over a 1,000.00 for a watch (really don't want to pay over 500.00). I did also find out something from him. He says there is a big difference in the series of watches. He said my f-117 was a 600 series and crap from the start. He said they 6000 series and above were actually very good watches. Has anyone had bad experiences with this series? I was looking at this watch:
http://www.luminox.com/watches?fam=SEA
Anyone own one? Anyone have similar suggestions?
Anyway sorry for the long message just I would think long and hard before I bought another Luminox product. But I have to admit for an everyday office watch the titaniums are very comfortable and look nice as well. I have a 511 but can't figure out how to get the TV to come on:) Damn that thing is big, but thats another story.
JMO
Rad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: radmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have posted on other threads about bad experience with luminox especially the saltzman service. My broken f-117 nighthawk sits on my desk right now. First one lasted 3 months then died. This one has done great for 5 years then the unidirectional bezel fell off and Saltzmans doesn't know if they can get the parts (besides being jerks on the phone). They wanted me to send the watch in then they would see if they could get the part. When I ask why he couldn't check to see if the part was available he actually laughed. The watch is "No longer supported.". I have looked for a replacement for a year and cannot find anything close for the money. Anyway spoke with a jeweler the other day and get the same answers Tag etc. Just really am not going to pay over a 1,000.00 for a watch (really don't want to pay over 500.00). I did also find out something from him. He says there is a big difference in the series of watches. He said my f-117 was a 600 series and crap from the start. He said they 6000 series and above were actually very good watches. Has anyone had bad experiences with this series? I was looking at this watch:
http://www.luminox.com/watches?fam=SEA
Anyone own one? Anyone have similar suggestions?
Anyway sorry for the long message just I would think long and hard before I bought another Luminox product. But I have to admit for an everyday office watch the titaniums are very comfortable and look nice as well. I have a 511 but can't figure out how to get the TV to come on:) Damn that thing is big, but thats another story.
JMO
Rad </div></div>
Mine is a 6202, but I ordered it with the carbon fiber face. It has been bullet proof so far. (5 or 6 years now)