• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Luth-AR stock questions

Sendit6.5

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2009
Sabinal, TX
www.brushyhill.com
I'm interested in putting a Luth-AR stock on a LaRue Stealth Rifle I'm converting to 22Nosler and that I'm lightening the load on. I have a mil-spec carbine buffer tube on it so that I can run the JP Silent Capture spring system. I'm wondering how well the Lutz-AR carbine stock works? Does lock up well? Or, would I be better off getting a rifle length buffer tube and the rifle length Luth-AR stock and finding some sort of spacer for the tube, so that I can still run the (carbine) Silent Capture spring system that I already have laying around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put one on my wife's Ruger RPR and it locks up super tight. I first put the Magpul Gen 3 PRS stock on it but the LOP was to much so we went with the Luth. Great stock IMO, very sturdy and a lot of adjustment.

Mine locks up very tightly - it uses an Allen head screw to tighten the stock to the carbine tube and eliminate play. I bought the optional softer butt pad since the standard one is extremely hard and slippery. It was a minor improvement.
even with the less than ideal butt pad I would buy it again.

The JP silent capture spring comes with a rifle tube spacer. I assume you got your SCS second hand?

The Luth-AR works fine. Not as refined as the PRS but a lot lighter. Adjustments are clunky. You loosen a thumb screw, ratchet the buttpad/cheek riser past a toothed locking plate, then re-tighten. The cheek riser has a lot of resistance against the buffer body at the higher settings. Not something you want to mess with a lot, but fine if you can set it and leave it alone.

The MBA-1 is solid with a rifle tube.
The MBA-3 is required for a carbine tube, and there's a screw clamp to tighten it and remove slop. Again, a hassle if you plan on adjusting LOP a lot, fine if you set it and leave it alone.

Also, something worth mentioning, the cheek riser can be moved fore/aft about 1.5 inches if you need. Contrast with the PRS which is not adjustable in that way.

My Lower had been set up to pass muster under the NY SAFE Act, which meant a carbine tube and buffer to clear the Thordsen stock abomination.

I bought the Luth AR when I moved to AZ, restoring the A2 tube and buffer, and used the Luth MBA-1, which is the appropriate version for the A2 tube. The stock has no provision to sync up with a carbine style adjustable tube, but is adjustable enough to work for both my Granddaughter's 5' 3" frame, and my own 6' 5" one.

They make an assortment of stocks to be compatible with several buffer tube styles; the MBA-3 is made for the carbine tube.

Greg