• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

LWRC REPR 20 inch barrel, 10 twist. Will it shoot 800,900, or 1,000 yds????

XXXXX

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2013
I am looking hard at the LWRC 7.62 x 51 Nato, in 20 inch barrel with a 1:10 twist. I WOULD LIKE FEEDBACK FROM PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY SHOOT THIS RIFLE, and not just general theorists, as to how adequate/accurate this rifle is ,IN THIS CONFIGURATION, for true long range, 800 yds and further. The rifle I looked at had a barrel diameter of approximately .700 inch, standard taper for LWRC, and I am thinking that's a little skinny for long range. What kind of results have pertinent LWRC shooters achieved? Is it good to just 600 yds, or will it shoot well consistently to 800, 900, or further yardage? Thanks.

I've shot my 20" REPR to 1000yds on several occasions. Never paper, only shooting steel targets. I guess it really comes down to what you call "accurate", we are talking about a gas gun afterall.

I've tried only 2 types of ammo, both factory loads (no handloads). FGMM 175smk was much better than the Southwest Ammo 175smk loads. The SW had a ton of vertical spread, much more than the FGMM. The FGMM groups were much better, and downright acceptable for a gas gun at that range. In the 1.5-2moa range. SW ammo load was about double that. So with some good ammo like FGMM, or some quality handloads it's fairly capable at that range. Still not in the same league as a quality built bolt gun though.

This is at approximately 6800' asl.

Just my experience, YMMV.

I shoot an 18" REPR, and the last match went out to 525 yards. I was shooting slow hand loads with 175 gr sierras. I did not miss any steel targets that were on the far end of the range. Plenty accurate for me and placed well in the match. The impressive thing to me, is it never missed a beat, went bang every time. Can't say that about all the semi autos. I think you would be just fine out to 1K with a 20". If you load for it, you just need enough speed to make it there. If this wasn't my back up gun, I'd do some strong testing of the 155 gr Lapua bullet. Just me, though. J

Technically it will shoot past 5000 yards although you will likely be at less then 100fps by the time the round gets there and it will be no where near accurate. As was stated how accurate do you expect it to be? Are you looking for half minute accuracy? sub minute? 2 minute? MoM?