• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Lwrc repr or larue obr

Hutchman20

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2010
Mississippi, United States
I recently decided that I would like to purchase a new rifle. Im torn between the lwrc repr and the larue obr. I like the piston one the repr and that it is fairly easy to clean. I have read that the larue is more accurate at long distances which is nice. Just looking for some advice and preferences.

Re: Lwrc repr or larue obr

Get a POF
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hutchman20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently decided that I would like to purchase a new rifle. Im torn between the lwrc repr and the larue obr. I like the piston one the repr and that it is fairly easy to clean. I have read that the larue is more accurate at long distances which is nice. Just looking for some advice and preferences.
</div></div>

I have shot my 20" REPR to 960yds with fantastic results. I have never shot the OBR. I traded into this REPR and it has impressed the heck out of me. It is my experience that you will need to tailor handloads to get the most out of the REPR, but you will be happy once you do.

If you are going to order a new one and want to shoot factory ammo, I suggest you inquire about the 11.25 twist rather than standard 10.

I have an OBR that I'm very happy with. I've heard about a lot of reliability issues with the REPR, but those may have been sorted out.

Honestly, what looks to be the best bang for the buck right now is the LMT MWS. Well built, swappable barrels, good accuracy. I end up buying one of these also.

You aren't going to find much support on the hide for anything bearing the name "Larue" at the moment.

Also, piston .308's don't seem to have all the kinks worked out. Have you considered the LMT MWS (a DI gun) which smoked the HK 417 in both reliability AND accuracy (and certainly price) in the Brit DM trials.

As mentioned above, if you MUST have a piston, look into POF.

They both have positives and negatives. The piston is nice for suppression, it keeps things running much cleaner than DI. There have been a few hickups it seems, BUT LWRC seems dedicated to fixing them. I personally have never shot one, but I looked into them heavily as I really like the look of them. The side charger is a big plus when shooting prone. From everything I have read, they are about a .75-1 moa rifle.

The Larue is the one I went with. I doubt you'll get much for unbiased opinions around here, as it is the current trend to hate Mark Larue. However, I really like mine. The 20 moa top rail is a positive and a negative, it pretty much necessitates the use of a cheek riser, which means you can't operate the charging handle if the stock is collapsed. The solution to this is the new reciprocating RISR stock that Larue came out with.

I went with Larue because almost every review I have read listed them at a .5 moa rifle, and I liked the idea of being more accurate. They are also rock solid reliable. I have been very happy with mine, and I have no plans on selling it- which is rare for me.

Both companies have excellent customer service.

As for the LMT or the POF, I don't have much experience with either of them, but I have read a bit on them as well. The POF really seems like a great value to me, and I may pick one up in the future. Accuracy seems to be .5 moa or so from most of the reviews I have read, they are piston driven so great for a suppressed platform, and they are a great value, at less money than either the Larue or the LWRC.

I have shot the 16", 18" and 20" OBR. They all carry the same accuracy. The only difference is muzzle velocity. If you are going to be shooting past 1000 meters get the 20", running in the city run a 16". or just get the good all around 18". At 800 meters we were holding 9.7 mils with the 16" and 8.73 mils with the 20". The reciprocating inline stock riser for the CTR stock rocks so far. Good luck.

I am running a 18inch Larue OBR and couldn't be happier so far. The fit and finish is excellent. I have been shooting consistenly under 3/4 MOA but I am using HSM amm. I am going to pick up some black hills, M118LR and Hornady because all the other guys I know shooting that ammo mentioned above are getting 1/4 to 1/2 MOA out of their OBR's.

I have a good friend that had 2 REPR's and they were great rifles but the accuracy wasn't as good as the OBR and piston guns do run cleaner but they have disadvantages as well. If you are going to be running a high rate of fire the handguards get really hot because that is where the gas is bleeding off so make sure to wear a glove. Also typically from my experience the piston guns also tend to have a bigger shift with suppressors on. I do like the fact that the REPR has the side non reciprocating charging handle and I also like the fact you can pull it out and back and use it as a forward assist also.

More accurate, more accurate, more accurate, more accurate compared to WHAT ?

The OBR has hits to a mile ...... but it was never released how big the target was. Hell I can shoot a berm at a mile away and say I got hits too as long as my rounds impacted the berm.

I would suggest you take a good look at the POF rifles. I am very happy with the 6 I own and the acuracy from my 6.5 Creedmoor and my 308 has been great.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would suggest you take a good look at the POF rifles. I am very happy with the 6 I own and the acuracy from my 6.5 Creedmoor and my 308 has been great.

Good luck </div></div>

+1. I would also highly recommend POF. They build great rifles and excellent customer service. I couldn't be happier with mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">More accurate, more accurate, more accurate, more accurate compared to WHAT ?

The OBR has hits to a mile ...... but it was never released how big the target was. Hell I can shoot a berm at a mile away and say I got hits too as long as my rounds impacted the berm. </div></div>

Excellent input and addition to the thread. Well done. [/sarcasm]

Can't you just go find one of the 10-15 LT bashing threads elsewhere on the board? You're one of the worst trolls on here.

On topic: I've also shot one of the POF guns and it was nice, but the piston thing is not my cup-o-tea. I'd still say MWS or OBR.

I chose a LWRC REPR, and with a suppressor it stays clean and cool. Can't say that with my KAC SR-25. We have ran over 400 rounds through it in 2 days suppressed without cleaning. No failures of any kind. Oh ya, she was a dirty pig, but what else would you expect. The upper was cleaner than expected, chamber was dirty. Accuracy was great, about 1 MOA. The can is a surefire. JPG

JerkfaceJoe, can you tell me what the comparison between the two guns actually is ?

Im sorry but I dont think that you can say that one gun is more accurate than the other with so many factors figured into everything. Shooter, distance, load, bullet, wind, there are just too many factors to say X gun is more accurate than Y gun.

Now if you were to say X gun in Y conditions shoot a group of Z inches and the Y conditions were able to be copied when W gun was shot and it produced the same group of Z or worse then yes you could say one gun is more accurate than the other. But to simply state, this gun is more accurate .... I want to see the tests.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JerkfaceJoe, can you tell me what the comparison between the two guns actually is ?

Im sorry but I dont think that you can say that one gun is more accurate than the other with so many factors figured into everything. Shooter, distance, load, bullet, wind, there are just too many factors to say X gun is more accurate than Y gun.

Now if you were to say X gun in Y conditions shoot a group of Z inches and the Y conditions were able to be copied when W gun was shot and it produced the same group of Z or worse then yes you could say one gun is more accurate than the other. But to simply state, this gun is more accurate .... I want to see the tests. </div></div>

Way to show your maturity with the little boy name calling.

Those that said that one rifle is more accurate were likely referring to it being more accurate than one of the other rifles in consideration here. Somebody doesn't need to post a full review and range report to make an assertion here. If you want to see some tests, go conduct them. I've shot most of the guns discussed here and I kept my OBR. It was the most consistently accurate with a broad range of ammunition in my experience. So unless you've got some useful input that can help the OP figure out what's what, keep your LT love to yourself.

The best part of this all, though, is that if someone said the MWS or POF was more accurate, you wouldn't have said a word. Everyone here knows you don't like LT, and frankly the majority of people here don't give a shit. Grow up and move on with life.

Sorry for the hijack, the ridiculousness is getting old.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hutchman20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also like the idea of being more accurate. What barrel did you decide to go with on your Larue?
</div></div>I went with the 16". I wanted something handy, especially on a semi platform that ultimately would be wearing a suppressor. Plus, in Maine the opportunities to shoot really long are few and far between.

If I were always shooting 1000 yards, I would have gone with a 20". If it were my one rifle to shoot competitions with, etc, I would have gone with an 18" or 20". However, I wanted something more versatile than my bolt guns, and from what I have read, you don't neuter yourself too bad with a .308 in that barrel length.

So I've been checking out the lmt as well. Everyone seems to be snatching them as they come up so they are seeming hard to find. I personally like the the repr already comes with the prs stock and the g trigger, but if I were to purchase the larue or lmt i would definately add them. Thanks for the help, looking to make a purchase in the upcoming weeks.

LMT would be my choice , there have been too many people with REPR issues and I think the Dillo rifle is over priced . JMTC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hutchman20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I've been checking out the lmt as well. Everyone seems to be snatching them as they come up so they are seeming hard to find. I personally like the the repr already comes with the prs stock and the g trigger, but if I were to purchase the larue or lmt i would definately add them. Thanks for the help, looking to make a purchase in the upcoming weeks. </div></div>

The Larue comes with a geiselle trigger. Just for your info.

Love the LWRC REPR. Great setup right there. I like it in FDE - good review here - I dunno if you have already seen this though.

what kind of barries are on each?

Build you own. Get a smith to do the barrel work and then bolt one up. It should be pretty accurate and you will be able to spec it out exactly as you want it. The mega ma-10 sets are well made and cheap.

The LMT looks great, but I haven't read any stellar accuracy reports. Seems like a 1 moa gun, at least according to the internets. I fingered one in a store and was very impressed with fit and finish. My POF is a real shooter- one of the best shooting guns that I have owned. I don't like their rail system at all. IMO, the scope should mount directly to the receiver, not to something that is minimally screwed to the receiver. My rail came loose twice. I have now loctited it and it is solid, but the system doesn't inspire confidence.
I owned a LWRC repr and the thing didn't work. Have the kinks in that system been worked out? No info on OBR, although I think that their rail works like the pof's. (could be wrong)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You aren't going to find much support on the hide for anything bearing the name "Larue" at the moment.</div></div>

I only have positive comments when it comes to Larue. They have excellent customer service and products. I once bought an item from them and it had a minor cosmetic issue. I called and asked it that was to be expected and they asked me for my email address so they could send me a return label to send it back. The return label was emailed to me 5 minutes later. They sent me a new part. I'm a big fan of customer service and for a lot of items I will happy pay a premium price. One less thing to worry about wnen making a high dollar purchase.

I also have an OBR 556 with 16" barrel with 1:8 twist. I reload and have a 1x4 Accupoint with the green triangle point. I have found the 69 grain Noslers and SMK fmjbt no cannalure to group 1 1/2" closer than the 55g. FMJbt remingtons I plink around with.

I have some 77 grain SMK I've not made, but do intend to check them out too with different loads.

I am in agreement with those who mentioned POF. I have a POF 308 and I haven't regretted my decision since the purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what kind of barries are on each? </div></div>The POF has a Rock barrel and the OBR has a Lothar Walther barrel. Not sure on the others.

I own a couple POF's and an OBR.

If your going to run a Suppressor I would get a pof or a repr. If your not going to run a suppresor then get the OBR. OBR is a very nice gun and I really enjoy it.

CJG

I realize this isn't one of your choices but you might look at JP Enterprises LRP-07. Very nice. In my opinion a step above the others listed here, especially when you count customer service. Just a thought.

I saw guy at my folks house shooting a GAP AR-10 hammering out some ridiculous groups @ 450-600 yards. Realizing its the indian and not the bow I shot it as well. I didn't shoot as well as he did but the thing was amazing! I'm sending a Mega MA-TEN reciever set up to Kansas as soon as it gets here and they're gonna build me one. They said it will be a 3-4 month turn-around so if you can wait that long it may be something you may want to look into.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They both have positives and negatives. The piston is nice for suppression, it keeps things running much cleaner than DI. There have been a few hickups it seems, BUT LWRC seems dedicated to fixing them. I personally have never shot one, but I looked into them heavily as I really like the look of them. The side charger is a big plus when shooting prone. From everything I have read, they are about a .75-1 moa rifle.
</div></div>

I'm really just an outside observer to all of this, as AR rifles (or anything semi-auto) are verboten in Australia but I find it interesting about the teething problems with 7.62 piston drivers in the AR style. I say this because the first piston driver I ever fired was the L1A1 SLR (similar to the FN-FAL) and I carried a FAL operationally and I couldn't get a stoppage out of the damned thing if I tried. Well, the exception was the odd dodgy round which could gum up the works. They certainly weren't 0.5moa rifles but damned reliable. Makes you wonder why one system design will work reliably and others which seem well designed won't necessarily.

Nice to see the side cocking handle on the REPR, per the FAL. Best of both worlds, I reckon.

I would have a hard time not getting a AR1OT and a nightforce for the same price

Short answer: LaRue, POF or Mega MA-TEN build.

Long answer:
I recently went through a similar dilemma. I wanted a 308 semi-auto sniper type rifle. I sort of narrowed my list to POF, LaRue, LMT, Rock River LAR-8, and REPR. I also had a list of features that were a must, and a $3000 rifle budge (not counting optic) Then I started narrowing the selection. First off the bat the Rock River was dropped of the list because it has a lot of proprietary parts on it and would not allow for most of the future upgrades that I wanted and it was not achieving the kind of accuracy I wanted.

Next I decided if I were to go DI then it would be the LaRue, due to its well know quality and accuracy. And if I went piston it would be POF, it seemed to edge out the REPR a little in accuracy and reliability.

Also factoring my budget, I found POF's for about $2500 and I figured another $500 to configure it how I wanted. The LaRue was $3000 and add that $500, now its a little out of my price range.

Next I determined the POF would be a little cheaper to configure the way I wanted it than the LaRue. The piston also gave the POF an edge. So I decided to save for the POF (I had about $1500 saved up already).

Then I get a email from AIM surplus advertising a Mega MA-TEN upper/lower combo for $500. I did a ton of research on the Mega builds. Mega is known for great quality. I concluded that I can build a very nice MA-ten for $2500 exactly how I wanted it.

So I bought the Mega set and a few other items and as I could afford I would buy more parts. The Mega has great fit and finish. I just finished the rifle about a week ago. I haven't shot it yet, but I am hoping to either late January or early February.

If a MA-Ten is something you want to consider I would be more than happy to share info and links that helped me.

Im using my Redfield Revolution until I can afford better glass.

IMG_20101231_212833.jpg

REPR...hands down. Runs clean and is very accurate once you find the pills it likes to spit.
2cqmy2o.jpg

I wanted to show the beauty of a piston set up... pics speak for themselves (300 rds)
8x0zgz.jpg

33mqrup.jpg

i1l1k6.jpg

It really depends on what you want it for. I have a JP LRP-07 for 3 Gun and it can be ordered lighter than most other 308s and because of the low mass operating system and break, the recoil is more like shooting 5.56 in an AR15 with an A2 flash hider.

I wanted another 308 in a 16" version and I was all set to get an EMC. I had an opportunity to talk to a few people with a lot of rounds through this and after talking with them I decided to get the 16" OBR.

Having mostly dealt with JP and Noveske, I expect excellence in customer service. My OBR should be here next week and I look forward to comparing it to the JP.

My OBR has proven to be a sub 1/2 moa shooter. Don't buy into the anti Larue BS that Lowlife / mall ninja perpetuates.

K_4C, Nice Turkey! I have had the same experience with my LWRC. Nice and clean even when running a can. My KAC would get nasty dirty.
Voltage 4, would love to see some pic's of your OBR, and some of the sub 1/2MOA groups. JPG

I'm sure the OBR is a shooter as well but I'd rather have a REPR

what rounds are you shooting K_4C? Beautiful pics. I have had my REPR for about a month...have not been able to shoot it yet. My serial nmber is 70-01585 so it will be interesting to see if I have problems with my pmags, they are slightly loose from front to back...I dont see a dimple on the catch. I have about 3000 rounds M118LR...have not shot these before. probably going to purchase Frogman2s USO scope.

Silverbullet-2, thanks for the comment (I only hunt wild game with my Mathews Z7) it's to easy with a rifle or shotty. The REPRS do run great... Glad you dig yours as well.

Richard, I've been shooting a lot of BH 175's and 168 TAPs... My rifle like the 175's more than the 168's. I think you'll have great results with M118LR (3000 rds! wanna sell a few?)... I would expect MOA or better from that factory load. As far as your P-mags.... they'll work great. trash your c-products mags (junk). get out and shoot that bitch and report back.

p.s USO is a great piece of kit and a 3.2-17 would be an ideal set up for stretching her legs. I went with a SN3 1.8-10 because I like to do a little run and gun with it and the 1.8 is fast

if you get a newer lwrc, you will not be disappointed. The accuracy is outstanding!

I have both - 20" REPR and 16" OBR. They are equally reliable with PMAGs after the REPR magazine catch modification. The OBR is lighter (of course) and more accurate with quality factory ammo. However, the REPR can hold about 1 MOA which will get you out to 800-1000 meters. I'm sure both will do a lot better with the right hand loads. Recoil is about the same for both rifles, but keep in mind that the REPR is heavier.

The REPR's left sided charging handle is a big plus for me. The adjustable gas system has it's pros and cons with the biggest problem being the tendency to become rather sticky (hard to turn even with a tool) after long strings of fire.

Overall, the OBR is probably a better value. This may change if you do a lot of suppressed shooting or if you really want the left sided CH. Both will serve you well, and I'd take either to battle over the M110 (but not the SR25-EMC which beats them all).

For what it's worth. I bought the Repr due to the adjustable gas system and side charging handle. I did have to send it in for the mag mod. It's been steller since the fix. I took it out to 1000yards recently with Speer 175 loaded with 44.2 gr. of varget. I'll probably bump the load up to 44.5 with the fire formed LC cases. I'm very happy with it. I use Larue mounts on every rifle I have. Larue makes some of the best kit in the biz. I feel the Reper is the more inovative rifle.

i agree the repr is innovative due to the side charger. i have shot all different repr configurations. i am liking my 16" repr for a suppressor rifle the best. not a lot of gas hitting the shooter in the face. i have a standard 556 and the gas gets me sometimes.

i do have a new 18" REPR in OD cerakote with geissele trigger, Magpul UBR stock and Miad grip with flip iron sights and new 20 round PMag i am looking to sell to fund getting a obr. it really is one of the best looking rifles i have ever owned. pm if interested.

Listen to the guys on the hide, if you have the cash you can't go wrong with GAP, POF (look at Killshots set up), LWRC, Armalite, LMT......

I myself shoot Armalite and a Repr in 20in. The accuracy is amazing. I got what I paid for...and it easily shoots to 1000y. Search the forum for Repr and you will see pics of the gun and its accuracy. You get what you pay for.