• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lwrc repr or larue obr

Re: Lwrc repr or larue obr

I am on my second LMT MWS and have shot a REPR and POF extensively. I have not seen or handled the OBR, so will not comment on it....I will say the LMT is a great rifle, you will not be disappointed. The REPR and POF are great too, but I settled on the MWS and never looked back.

A lot of features for the money....

I did a TON of research on these rifles about a month ago. When I make my next purchase it will be the OBR. I'll be honest, I WANT to buy the LWRC but, from my time on both rifles, I'm going to have to buy the OBR.

MY DISCLAIMER :: Just my 2-cents. You'll have to choose what fits you best and makes you happiest.

Ya gotta buy what you like and what fits you best. I've not handled either the LMT or an OBR but I have handled the LWRC and while it's a nice rifle, POF was the only choice for me and not just once but twice.

I have yet to handle a rifle that I like as much as what POF*USA has to offer.

+1 on the REPR! I recently purchased one in 20" and it is a Hammer...Shot alot of different brands of ammo weights etc.. it eats everything does like the heavier projectile with 1/10 twist...

Were it my money, I'd go with a GAP-10 or LMT. Of the two you're looking at, the OBR.

Lots of good reviews on the REPRs on the boards that i have seen
There does tend to be a strong anti-larue sentiment present though I have also read good things about the OBR

GAP-10s also have a really good reputation

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GYZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SR25 EMC!!! Best hands down!! </div></div>

What makes you say that, because it's what the military uses? I'm not picking an argument but simply wanting to know the logic behind your statement.

I was in your shoes recently.

REPR was out - Buddy dealt with the issues the early ones had, wasn't impressed by the way LWRC handled it. (Blamed the mags, sent it back in said it was good. Shipped it back, still didnt run, finally got them to look at it, they 'tweaked' the mag catch, sent it back, still didnt work. Sent it in. They replaced the lower, worked with the metal mags not PMags, he sold it.)

LMT - Good gun, but heavy, and I'd need to replace the stock, trigger, and pistol grip, bringing the price up to the same league as the other offerings. And its the heaviest of the bunch.

POF - No. Haven't ever really liked POF's guns. Plus with their current legal troubles, I'd shy away for now. Not very impressed with their Customer Service either.

KAC - My top pic, lightweight, accurate, and reliable, but $$$, and current availability is spotty. Honestly, if I could have gotten one in my price range, I would have. Good CS, and a good product, hard to beat.

Finally, the OBR - This is the one I picked. People love to slam Mark LaRue, but the simple fact is that his CS is the best in the business, and they make damn good kit. The OBR is a fine rifle, and does everything I was looking for, at a pretty good price.

I've been starting to research the same question as well. Can anyone with an OBR say how much work has been done to the receiver to tighten the tolerances over other 308 AR's? The accuracy reports on the OBR have me considering dumping the bolt gun and getting an OBR for police sniper work.

I've trained with a few guys using LMT MWS's and one loves his and the other has had accuracy problems to the point of LMT rebarreling it. But neither were .5 moa guns from what I could tell. But you never know, there are so many factors it's hard to say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hutchman20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently decided that I would like to purchase a new rifle. Im torn between the lwrc repr and the larue obr. I like the piston one the repr and that it is fairly easy to clean. I have read that the larue is more accurate at long distances which is nice. Just looking for some advice and preferences.
</div></div>

I don't know how it could be much easier to clean a piston gun than a DI gun. DI has fewer parts and is easier to disassemble. There may be an argument that a piston gun needs cleaned less frequently, but the whole piston vs DI is a whole other argument.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hutchman20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently decided that I would like to purchase a new rifle. Im torn between the lwrc repr and the larue obr. I like the piston one the repr and that it is fairly easy to clean. I have read that the larue is more accurate at long distances which is nice. Just looking for some advice and preferences.
</div></div>

I don't know how it could be much easier to clean a piston gun than a DI gun. DI has fewer parts and is easier to disassemble. There may be an argument that a piston gun needs cleaned less frequently, but the whole piston vs DI is a whole other argument.
</div></div>

The DI forces the gas through the gas tube which then pushes the bolt colt backward, thus ejecting and loading another round, essentially dumping the spent gas back into the upper receiver. This has been referred to as "shitting where you eat" by some.

The gas piston setup uses a push rod to open the bolt carrier, which then ejects and loads the next round without dumping any of the spent gas back into the upper receiver. Not only does this allow the receiver to operate MUCH cleaner but it also allows for a much cooler operation.

I'm not debating anything; simply replying to your inquiry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hutchman20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently decided that I would like to purchase a new rifle. Im torn between the lwrc repr and the larue obr. I like the piston one the repr and that it is fairly easy to clean. I have read that the larue is more accurate at long distances which is nice. Just looking for some advice and preferences.
</div></div>

</div></div>

The DI forces the gas through the gas tube which then pushes the bolt colt backward, thus ejecting and loading another round, essentially dumping the spent gas back into the upper receiver. This has been referred to as "shitting where you eat" by some.

The gas piston setup uses a push rod to open the bolt carrier, which then ejects and loads the next round without dumping any of the spent gas back into the upper receiver. Not only does this allow the receiver to operate MUCH cleaner but it also allows for a much cooler operation.

I'm not debating anything; simply replying to your inquiry. </div></div>

Its not an inquiry. I know how they both work.

Reread what I said.

Cleaning is cleaning. Taking apart a DI for cleaning is pretty simple and there are fewer parts.

You clean a DI and a piston in different places.

In my experience, the difference between cleaning a DI gun and a piston gun is grossly exaggerated and blown out of proportion. But as I said, the difference between DI and piston and their merit is a whole other debate.

I'm new to this forum and not an expert. That being said, last Christmas (2010) I purchased a 7.62 OBR. It ran fine and was exceptionally accurate with the Nightforce 1-4X. However I had numerous malfunctions when using Federal 150 grain FMC. Sometimes the bolt would eject the case but fail to pick up the new cartridge. No problems with Fed GMM 168 grain though.

I called and spoke with Alfred at LaRue. They bent over backwards to help me as this was to be used by me on our regional special weapons team. I was told to call him on a Sunday when at our range, and he was fishing and on his own time. Sadly, not too many companies have this type of committment to their customers. They even rebarreled my rifle and if I was still not satisfied they offered to refund my money. I can only guess they were experiencing "teething" troubles with the platform. The weapon runs like a sewing machine and shoots like a laser now and I'm glad I stuck with LaRue. I can shoot 100 rounds or more while at the range and find the recoil is very manageable and I have no sore shoulders! I'm now running a Nightforce 3.5-15X.

Point of my post is that a product is only as good as the company that backs it up. My money is on LaRue. I would not hesitate to reccommend them to anyone needing this type rifle. Price is reasonable by my standards (remember, the only thing cheaper than a cop is two cops) and quality is excellent. Plus it's really great to call and speak with someone who knows their product line. I have found this to be the case with LaRue, Surefire, and Noveske, to name a few.

As an aside, I'm in no way affiliated with LaRue. Check around and find out what works for you and others and drive on.

Just my two-cents & good luck to you.

Joe

Very nice to hear how Larue took care of you and I agree, there's not enough customer service after the sale these days. Thanks for the positive report.

I shot the OBR suppressed last year at shot show (was lucky enough to be in vegas at barrett 50 cal sniper training during shot show!) and it was as smooth as anything Ive ever fired.. but damn is that thing expensive..

I do not have there rifle yet but plan on getting one soon.
I had a problem with one of my LaRue mounts. gave them a call and they exchanged it all in the same week. along with a Amy poster and dillo dust. They are a class act. You can not beat there CUSTOMER SERVICE.

it sounds like lwrc had some early reprs with issues and larue has a "hate them" bias sometimes. solution buy both and shoot the loser.

My 20 inch REPR (mid 2011 manufacture) likes FGMM168's and if I do my part is right at 1 moa. With Black Hills 168 Match it gets close to 1/2 moa. Love the gun but it is heavy. Never played with the OBR but Larue makes all my mounts and they are sweet.

Have you looked at the LMT 308 MWS? I like it but then again, I'm a piston fan and went with the REPR. Great gun. On a number of occasions it's been less than 1MOA for me....I'm the one that's not consitently under 1MOA. I think the quality is there, really like the side charger, ambi bolt release and abiltiy to adjust the piston system or turn it off completely. But MORE than all of that....I LIKE IT FOR EASE OF CLEANING. I don't care how someone would rather it be worded but the BCG (most importantly the bolt itself) does not get caked with carbon that you have to scrub like crazy. You get the carbon buildup under the handguard but most of that vents to air and isn't trapped so who cares? Whether standard DI can run for thousands of rounds so long as you keep it lubricated means NOTHING TO ME. Because at some point I'm going to tear it down to clean and I don't like cleaning it after 300 rounds. That's why I know shoot my REPR and M6A2. Keep my DI AR in it's case.

Good luck with your decision. Whatever you decide....there really is no WRONG choice.

One of the biggest reasons I went with a piston gun...the 20in repr is bc it takes me about 10 minutes to clean it. Basically, I just wipe the bolt down and then clean the chamber, bore and the barrel (which takes the longest). My Ar-10 takes me almost an hour to clean bc the BCG just gets so filthy.

The debate will keep raging about piston guns being less accurate than a bolt gun but thats why I bought a gun from LWRC that makes nothing but piston guns. I can turn the gas system off and the gun doesnt cycle so its just like shooting a bolt gun...their is nothing moving after the shot.

They know what they are doing. They had issues with Pmags but those have been fixed. The gun is really pricey but you get what you pay for with any high end brand name AR.

Both. A buddy has an OBR. I'm getting a REPR. Another buddy is waiting to shoot them both and make up his mind!
smile.gif

No Offense but for the price of an LWRC repr I would rather have a J P Precision LRP-07. From everything I have read and from the people who own them, they are about the best you can get period. I just bought a magazine with a test on a J P Rifle, and they shot a 100 yard group that measured less than 1/4 inch.

Let me be clear, I am not knocking the REPR, in fact I think it is a beautiful weapon. I just wonder if it is worth the price, especially after hearing it was having issues. If I am wrong please let me know because I am buying a rifle in a few months and I want to get a side charging semi-auto and if everyone who has bought one of the newer models are very happy, please tell me so I can consider one ?

The "REPR problems" were solved over a year ago. It's just recycled internet rhetoric at this point.

I have a 20" REPR but put LaRue's optic, sling mount, and their mod'd Harris on it. Does that count?
laugh.gif

I want to get something in 16" this year. REPR is awesome but I'm not married to it. We shall see... twins would be cool tho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No Offense but for the price of an LWRC repr I would rather have a J P Precision LRP-07. From everything I have read and from the people who own them, they are about the best you can get period. I just bought a magazine with a test on a J P Rifle, and they shot a 100 yard group that measured less than 1/4 inch.</div></div>

The best you can get, period, huh? And their decision is based on what, exactly? Is it the fact that they've owned and used every other semi-auto SPR on the market because I seriously doubt they have.

You'll find more people owning GAP, POF, Noveske, LWRC, KAC, and LMT amongst others that I've not mentioned moreso than you'll find owners of JP rifles. That alone should tell you that JP rifles aren't the best you can get. Maybe for a 3-gun rifle but best you can get across the board, I doubt it.

Additionally, I would be interested in knowing what magazine it was that showed the JP rifle getting a 100yd group at less than 1/4 moa. Which magazine was it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No LaRue does not sell uppers alone.

David M
</div></div>

I didn't think so. Wonder how he's got a LaRue upper on an LMT lower.

If its a choice of the 2 guns, then the OBR is my pick, its way more reliable and accurate than the REPR (Yes I have one of both).
I would wait to see what SHOT brings from several companies at this point though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No LaRue does not sell uppers alone.

David M
</div></div>

I didn't think so. Wonder how he's got a LaRue upper on an LMT lower. </div></div>

People have bought entire rifles and then broken them up for some reason or another. Thats the only way currently.

The magazine is AR-15 Black Guns - January Issue - Shot a 0.187 inch group @ 100 yards. I have been shooting for 30+ years and own many custom guns and I don"t know, might be just me but I think that is not to shabby.

If its a gun rag, its probably exaggerated or an isolated incident. Either way, I wouldn't expect any of them to average that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If its a gun rag, its probably exaggerated or an isolated incident. Either way, I wouldn't expect any of them to average that. </div></div>

My point exactly. Just because it was achieved once it doesn't mean the same results can be produced again and again.

All I was saying was that was pretty damn good. If a gun from a maker can achieve that kind of accuracy from one gun then it will duplicate it with others. I know not every gun will do that and there are other variables also, but look at GAP-10, most of there guns stay about the same. Some people in here just will not believe no matter what, same way in life on just about everything. I am smart enough to know that just about all the GUN MAKERS in here produce damn fine guns. It is mostly about PERSONAL PREFERENCE to each individule. I am not trying to start fights or argue with anyone but some people need to keep more of an open mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I was saying was that was pretty damn good. If a gun from a maker can achieve that kind of accuracy from one gun then it will duplicate it with others. I know not every gun will do that and there are other variables also, but look at GAP-10, most of there guns stay about the same. Some people in here just will not believe no matter what, same way in life on just about everything. I am smart enough to know that just about all the GUN MAKERS in here produce damn fine guns. It is mostly about PERSONAL PREFERENCE to each individule. I am not trying to start fights or argue with anyone but some people need to keep more of an open mind.</div></div>

As it turns out, I already had the magazine but hadn't read through it just yet. The .187 group you referred to was done with a handload which is understandable as handloading will always be more accurate than a factory load. The factory loads were averaging right around 1/2 moa with the exception of the Hornady Superformance 75gr averaging 1.5 moa.

Having shot the REPR and the OBR side by side, on two separate occasions, I would choose the OBR.

However, I like to tinker more than just buy, so I am building a rifle now.

Do I have all of the brands mentioned? Nope.
Do I want all of the brands mentioned? Nope.

If I were going to buy a $3K rifle, I would choose the OBR. The accuracy is phenomenal, the fit and finish is second to none, and the one time I had a problem with anything made by Mark and his crew, it was corrected immediately.

By the way you have a beautiful Rifle there Killshot.

Why bother with those when a company has already taken those designs and made them even better and they will back it up for life. FD DEFENSE with their FD 308 and coming soon to a range near u, the most ACCURATE and RELIABLE SEMI 338 LM!! BOOTH 6108 at this year's Shot Show. Come by and say hello!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheGonz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why bother with those when a company has already taken those designs and made them even better and they will back it up for life. FD DEFENSE with their FD 308 and coming soon to a range near u, the most ACCURATE and RELIABLE SEMI 338 LM!! BOOTH 6108 at this year's Shot Show. Come by and say hello!</div></div>

Until you can prove the FD rifles are better and post groups, put up or shut up.

There's already been someone praising FD rifles having only purchased a proto-type for $10K (his words) and never posted anything to prove its accuracy.

It's all bullshit until it can be proven.

Will do. I'll be posting some range time pics with factory ammo. 3 or 5 shot groups?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheGonz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will do. I'll be posting some range time pics with factory ammo. 3 or 5 shot groups? </div></div>

Five ten-round groups. On one paper.

i have heard some rumblings that larue might have an updated obr reveled at shotshow... maybe side charger... maybe hybrid between obr and predatar...? anyone heard anything?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheGonz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will do. I'll be posting some range time pics with factory ammo. 3 or 5 shot groups? </div></div>

You get around to those five groups with ten rounds each, one one target?

FD Defense 308 with 17" barrel shot by DON HARDY pistol champ.
DSC01592.jpg

DSC01593.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

I know F&D Defense has taken alot of flack but if this is a true test target then they will be a contender. I am starting to like it alot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheGonz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why bother with those when a company has already taken those designs and made them even better and they will back it up for life. FD DEFENSE with their FD 308 and coming soon to a range near u, the most ACCURATE and RELIABLE SEMI 338 LM!! BOOTH 6108 at this year's Shot Show. Come by and say hello!</div></div>

Until you can prove the FD rifles are better and post groups, put up or shut up.

There's already been someone praising FD rifles having only purchased a proto-type for $10K (his words) and never posted anything to prove its accuracy.

It's all bullshit until it can be proven. </div></div>

Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise.