• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LWRC SPR Vs Fn SCAR 16s

Climate17

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2011
I need to make a decision by Monday. Do I buy the LWRC or the Fn? I have it narrowed down to those two and I will not consider anything else because nothing else interests me. I own exactly zero ar's and this will be my first. I would like some knowledgeable opinions. After this purchase I will be building an ar10.

Re: LWRC SPR Vs Fn SCAR 16s

Depends on the purpose.

I just need a high quality piston ar and those are the two I like.

LWRC. I've had at least two in my stable since m6a1's hit the market. I personally prefer the A3 (adjustable gas block) but the SPR is an eye pleaser. Overall LWRC has a solid product... Not much experience with the SCAR but I've never been let down with any of my LWRC products (and my A1 had over 6k on the clock). Both incorporate all the major AR-15 products ( i.e mags, grips, triggers, etc...) but the layout of the AR is engrained into my mechanical motor movements. Just my 2 cents. Chainring is a LWRC SPR owner... Perhaps he'll chime in.

Thanks k__4c. Is the spr more accurate than the m6a2?

Unsure. My A2 would hover right around the MOA mark with 75 gr hornaday and open up to 1.5 with 55 gr walmart ammo. Pm chainring here on the hide... I know he shoots 3 gun with his SPR.

I've heard all the piston guns kinda suck for accuracy. Has that been your experience as well?

My REPR was sub moa capable with me driving it. My A1,A2 and A3 hover around the MOA mark (that's all could ask for from a run and gun assault rifle... I don't shoot prone to often with these firearms (5.56's). I'd go with a Noveske for accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Climate17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard all the piston guns kinda suck for accuracy. Has that been your experience as well?</div></div>

Whomever told you that is full of shit. That's like saying all sports cars are slow. I can only speak for POF and LWRC being sub moa capable with the right shooter.

I don't care for the SCAR because it's just clunky and awkward, to me it is anyway.

Had an 16S and a M6A3. Being an AR trained guy, I sold the 16S.

Thanks guys I think I like the Lwrc better I started my search looking for the scar because I thought it was innovative and I was pretty hooked on the cool factor (I still kinda am) and I will most likely revisit the scar thing latter on. I am used to fine hunting rifles where sub moa is the standard and most of my bolt guns shot quarter moa. Needless to say this new territory and I really want the most bad ass piston upper on a damn nice lower. I played with both today after looking at them on line for months. I like the trigger on the spr better than the scar. I also feel that the spr was better balanced, am also not fond of lots of extra rails (they tend to tear up my hand). The scar was ambi a big plus since I'm left handed. I also liked the folding stock. The scar seems more trouble to tear down. Since I have no "black" gun starting with a standard AR seems to make sense. Am I thinking right?

I haven't shot the LWRC SPR, so I can not say much about them. But I have had the chance to shoot a few thousand rounds through the SCAR 16s and 17s. I must say there are something's I like about them and something's I don't.

PROs
-Both 16s and 17s seem to be MOA guns with match ammo. Had the 16 out 6/700ish with m855 and was still able to send about 50-60% hits onto steel e-types. mk262 would bring that to about 70-80% hits.
-They are super easy to clean/take apart, no crazy tools need for basic disassembly.
-Butt stocks have adj. LOP and adj. combs.
-Barrel changes can be done at the operator level in about 2 minutes.
-Barrels are thin so therefore light but seem to handle the heat of extended strings of fire without major POI shifts.

CONs
-Controls can be problematic and even more so for guys who are use to the AR platform.
-The charging handle will catch your fingers sooner or later. (5.56 will sting a bit but 7.62 hurts like a motherfucker; good news is you'll only do it once.)
-Magazine release was sometimes difficult to hit (with cold hands, in the dark, bouncing around in the back of a truck it was not easy).
-People with smaller hands may have a difficult time with the selector lever.
-These guns with eat the shit out of some scopes. I don't know why but for sure the recoil impulse is something else. 17s seem a bit worse but even my 16 chewed up 2 TA31s in less then 400 rounds each. Currently running a Elcan Specter with no issues yet.
-I love my PMags but they are not STANAG and wouldn't always drop free. So you may run into that issue with the 16s, EMags could be a solution to that problem.

I have shot the SCAR 16 a few times and as an AR owner I prefer that(the AR) platform more. I shot my friends LWRC in 6.8 and that gun was excellent. The SCAR didn't do it for me. It just seemed to have a strange feel to it like I could feel the piston move ever time I pulled the trigger. I kind of threw me off. For a piston gun I like the Sig 556. Not in the class of what you are looking at, but they are soft shooters. That being said, I would go for the LWRC.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm hunting tomorrow with my wife so I won't be on. Monday I'll be placing my order with LWRC. I'll get back to you with the butchers bill and a full accuracy report after my barrel break in. RoBird thanks for the SCAR info that tipped the scales for me.

As K4C said, I do have the SPR, and I am a huge fan of LWRC rifles. I've no experience with the SCAR line, but I have been unimpressed with the feel and ergonomics when handling them at the shop. The SPR, on the other hand, is one of the most pleasant rifles to handle and manipulate that I have ever held. It's quality is readily apparent, and it's controls are familiar and smooth. The fluted barrel shifts the balance closer to the shooter, which is especially nice if you own a suppressor. The slender forend helps to improve balance as well, and is comfortable under the hand. The LWRC Skirmish sights are just one of the cherries that you get with an LWRC rifle, but they are worth a mention. Their design and "de-horned" construction combine to make the best BUIS available, as far as I can tell. Between the EMOD stock, MIAD grip, LWRC's enhanced trigger guard and NB-coated trigger group, the BUIS, and the rotation-limited QD sling mount at the rear of the receiver and on one of the three included rail sections for the forend, the SPR just doesn't need anything but a case of ammo. My SPR is a sub-moa rifle with FGMM Match 77 Grain ammo. No failures of any kind, with any of the 5 LWRC rifles that Ive owned or shot.

The accuracy of the A2 will be the same as that of the SPR, since it is the same CHF barrel underneath. The SPR is merely fluted - which reduces weight AND improves balance.

I am confident that you will be more than pleased with the SPR.

The guys at LWRC are great folks, and in the unlikely event that you needed Customer Service, they will take excellent care of you.

Group at 100 yards, using FGMM 77Gr Match BTHP ammo and a Trijicon TR24 1-4 with the German #4 dot reticle.

DSC00386.jpg

DSC00384.jpg

DSC00382.jpg

Here's how the slim forend compares to the LWRC quad rail on an A3 - which is fairly typical in dimension to other fairly slim quad rails.

DSC09282.jpg

oh yes one more thing on fn weapons the spare parts on the most part -not out in the real world ...i seen the guts of the trigger system of both scars ,OUCH 3 hands and monkey please ..not tested for long run yet ....lwrc many ar parts will fit without a pain !go with SPR ....

I have not had any difficulty getting SCAR parts..... From my experiences with several LWRC's it is no contest. Id take the SCAR over a basket of LWRC's.

I have had the chance to shoot the LWRC REPR and the SCAR 16. I am with Killshot on this one. While they are both nice weapons, I really don't care for the SCAR. LWRC has great customer service, and from my experience are very capable of sub MOA.

My buddy stretched his LWRC's legs out to 1010yds last month very nicely with a 2.5-10 NF and some 175gr FGMM.

For my money, I go LWRC.

Or you could do what my friend did, and just buy both....

lwrc hands down. imo one of the best companies in the firearms industry

Hello! First visit to this forum but I'be been around a long time on a lot of others. I own and shoot one each of the SCAR 16 and 17. Both are suppressed with AAC cans. I run an Aimpoint M3 on the 16 and Leupold MK4 MRT M2 on the 17. The 17 consistently prints 1MOA at 300M ( that's the max distance on my range). Once those with the bad habit of grabbing the mag well and sticking their thumbs in the air, they get the design improvements and start to appreciate the engineering. I don't think you can beat the out of the box accuracy/utility of the SCAR.