• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lyman Alaskan scope # 4355 S

Lbfan

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2022
Canada
BF3849FF-B8BF-4F41-A1E5-C56EFAA98843.jpeg
918C474A-3D2E-4E34-831F-DF2953438499.jpeg
2B7F1BD0-A64A-4F4A-B3BF-9C2DE3413D47.jpeg
Hello

I'm a new member and hoping for some information on this scope. I had forgotten I even had it. I was cleaning out my gun safe and found it buried on the shelf. I have done some research but would be interested in hearing from those more knowledgeable than me (almost everyone!).

Thanks!

Lbfan

Reactions: Mugsy32
The scope and bracket are commercial made to appear to be a No32 TP (Canadian Long Branch Sniper Rifle). The lower bracket is Griffin and Howe commercial with clearance cut for the No4 ejector screw. The upper bracket is commercial with a Long Branch Serial Number Stamped "74L0196" not engraved - it's a legit SN by the way. Rings are incorrect for TP sniper. The scope needs more investigation - can you post a picture of the markings on the barrel of the scope - I'm interested in seeing what is stamped after "ALASKAN"? Will comment further once I see this.

Ron (Canada)

7F9B0656-2CBD-42BC-8D98-0D813C6AE51C.jpeg
Hi Ron

The number is faint and difficult to see but I can confirm it is 4355 S. The 4 in particular is hard to see. My phone doesn’t take very good pictures but I hope you can make it out.

Just so I understand, when you say the rings are incorrect, you’re talking about the mounting rings that hold the scope? And are you saying the rifle number on the bracket should be engraved and not stamped?

Hope you don’t mind the questions but I am genuinely trying to figure out what I have here and every bit of information is very much appreciated.

SN should be engraved with a pantograph and slightly larger than those stamped on your bracket. Lower is commercial as is the upper bracket. Does the scope have a post? or is it cross hairs?

Ron (Canada)

A7B5D90C-A33D-47FE-919E-EAFCD7D4D226.jpeg
Just did some more research and I found 2 different sources that say the sniper scopes are 3.5 X. Is that correct? Mine says 2 1/2 Power

Lyman commercial scopes and those used for the TP Program (approx 350) share many common components. They were both 2 1/2 power versus the higher power of the Brit or REL No32's.

Ron (Canada)

So to summarize, I have a commercial mount with a correct sniper scope? Or is the fact that the number on the adjustor knob is stamped instead of engraved make it suspect?

From what I can see you've got a commercial scope and bracket that somebody has affixed sniper numbers to leave the impression it's a LB sniper set up. It's a clone. Do you have the rifle this was on? if "yes" post a couple pictures of it.

Ron (Canada)

Unfortunately I don't have a rifle. Someone gave me this scope years ago. The only WWII era stuff I have is the scope and I have a bayonet that I got from an uncle who served. I get what you're saying and I'm not interested in misrepresenting anything. But there's one thing that seems odd. The small number beside Alaskan matches the number below the adjustor. There is no sign of grinding off of another number beside Alaskan and it appears to be in the proper location based on other pictures of scopes I've seen. So I guess the question is, which is more likely - the scope number below the post adjustor was stamped instead of engraved for some reason (4355 is a very early number I believe), or someone got a scope with no number beside Alaskan and stamped it. I have no idea which is most likely as I don't know if any Lyman Alaskans were made without serial numbers. Food for thought. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to this. I learned a few things!

I grew up about a mile north of Longbranch and never knew about the plant. I guess that's the next research project!

Regards

Mark

Per Clive Law (may he RIP) 100 Lyman Alaskans were provided to Canuckistan and were mounted on their No. 4 Mk I (T). The scope mounts were based on G&H and licensed by G&H at a very low rate. G&H did this b/c it put victory ahead of profits.