• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lyman Case Trim Express

1J04

Lost Squirrel
Minuteman
  • Aug 7, 2011
    PNW WA
    Curious if any of you have any experience, good or bad, with the Lyman Case Trim Express. For my needs I just can't justify a $500 Dollar Trimmer. I know @Mike Casselton has one and likes it. Any others out there think for $111.00 Bucks Shipped that this isn't a bad setup?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still have to chamfer and deburr. Get something that does all three steps together and save yourself 66% of the time expenditure.

Reactions: Spblademaker
    Fully understand.

I've got a couple of these

1564706191888.png

just don't have the motor set-up for them.

1564706313180.png

I'm still doing it manually. ?

View attachment 7122359

Frankford Arsenal is pretty good

Well, Jimmy seems to be getting decent consistency. But he's still having to chamfer n debur. :cry:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Time is money. I've owned the Dillon RT1200, Gracey, Giraud, Lyman motorized and Forster manual. I still haver the Giraud and the Lyman and Forster, got rid of the others.

Just go buy the Lyman case trim express and don't worry what others say. Yes, you have to manually chamfer and deburr, so what. If I didn't have the money for the Giraud, I'd buy the new Lyman. Looks like it can trim almost any cartridge.

Reactions: MarinePMI and 1J04
    Time is money. I've owned the Dillon RT1200, Gracey, Giraud, Lyman motorized and Forster manual. I still haver the Giraud and the Lyman and Forster, got rid of the others.

Just go buy the Lyman case trim express and don't worry what others say. Yes, you have to manually chamfer and deburr, so what. If I didn't have the money for the Giraud, I'd buy the new Lyman. Looks like it can trim almost any cartridge.

I hear ya, and yes, I ordered the Lyman. It's not like I'm a Noob, been doing this since the 70's, I just always do some things manually still. Kinda a hold out. I bought their Case Prep Station just a couple years ago to automate 'those' particular steps, but still do plenty by hand just because. We'll see how consistent I can get them with this and go from there.

I hear ya, and yes, I ordered the Lyman. It's not like I'm a Noob, been doing this since the 70's, I just always do some things manually still. Kinda a hold out. I bought their Case Prep Station just a couple years ago to automate 'those' particular steps, but still do plenty by hand just because. We'll see how consistent I can get them with this and go from there.

Hi,

How many rounds do you do in one sitting ?

Are you prepping brass for a bolt gun ?

I buy 100 rounds of Lapua brass at a time, weight sort and prep 50 pieces of the closest weights. Those 50 pieces then live with that rifle (bolt gun) for many, many reloads. Last batch of .308W Lapua that I retired had, I think 19 or 20 reloads on them. No sign of split necks, loose primer pockets, etc. I figured it was time to start anew. I didn't throw them out, I just threw them in the "retired" box. Who knows, I may drag them back out if a "rainy day" occurs. My brass costs, over time, are very, very low. I'm not doing it to save money though, I'm doing it for consistency.

Gimme a jingle this weekend, we can discuss if you want. Oh, and if you want to just go ahead with the Lyman, it looks fine......:)

Reactions: 1J04
    Hi? Wholly Crap. We can thank @THEIS for your affliction. :ROFLMAO:

I dunno, sometimes 50 or so, sometimes couple hundred. I gotta bunch of 7MM, 25-06, and .308 that need some love. I only reload for Bolt Guns. Mine and others. FINALLY getting the new reloading room setup after the move and getting ready to get back into the production stage of things. I've over taken the Den and rapidly filling it up. Just gonna try and make a boring ass chore a bit quicker. Why not? But for $500? Nope. I'll crank the handle and buy more bullets, cases, powder, and primers for that much $. But $111.00? I can justify that.

Ya, now that you're back home, I'll give ya a jingle and shoot the shit. Talk to ya in a day or two. ;)

Reactions: Threadcutter308
    Hi? Wholly Crap. We can thank @THEIS for your affliction. :ROFLMAO:

I dunno, sometimes 50 or so, sometimes couple hundred. I gotta bunch of 7MM, 25-06, and .308 that need some love. I only reload for Bolt Guns. Mine and others. FINALLY getting the new reloading room setup after the move and getting ready to get back into the production stage of things. I've over taken the Den and rapidly filling it up. Just gonna try and make a boring ass chore a bit quicker. Why not? But for $500? Nope. I'll crank the handle and buy more bullets, cases, powder, and primers for that much $. But $111.00? I can justify that.

Ya, now that you're back home, I'll give ya a jingle and shoot the shit. Talk to ya in a day or two. ;)

What? You moved? Hopefully somewhere that had as great a view as your last place(?).

• Love
    I like mine. Been using it a couple months now. As with any system that indexes off the shoulder, consistency is determined by resizing technique.

What? You moved? Hopefully somewhere that had as great a view as your last place(?).

It's a pretty cool location. Sits on a Ridge between 2 way bigger ridges front and back. Trees block most of that view, but I'n ok with that. It's at the end of a private logging road.

Even got resident squirrels in my stump with a tree growing outta it.?
    20190721_203616.jpg
    20190701_193228.jpg
    20190331_171047.jpg
    20190505_173748.jpg
    20190317_180337.jpg
    20190317_180026.jpg

And Hey Brother! Goodluck with the upcoming Surgery. You know we're all wishing you the very best!!!

If you have the manual lathe with the three way cutter already then I would just get the drill adaptor as well.

I was considering setting it with some sorta driver or RCBS's Motor, but yeah, for some reason I'm not into their Trimmer Station. It's not the Trim Pro 2, it's the original.........

Appreciate the input, as always!!

Larry, first of all, sweet pad!

I started with a cheap ass Hornady manual then a Lyman powered unit. Gen ancient. Moved on to an RCBS for high quantity blasting brass. Use a Sinclair/ Wilson manual for important stuff.

Larry, first of all, sweet pad!

I started with a cheap ass Hornady manual then a Lyman powered unit. Gen ancient. Moved on to an RCBS for high quantity blasting brass. Use a Sinclair/ Wilson manual for important stuff.

Thanks Larry, we're really liking it up there. Sooooooo quiet and next to ZERO traffic. Beautiful spot really, and closer to work for my Wife and I.

If this Lyman doesn't float my boat then I'll do sumth'n else, again. :D Appreciate the shoutout Brother !!

Gonna resurrect this, I recently purchased the Lyman powered trimmer,but after using my fingers to push the brass against the hard ass springs and bushing a hundred times or more in a sitting ,I'm getting gnarly blisters even with gloves on.
    The trimmer does a decent job but goddamn it takes some force to push the brass in and make contact with the cutter.

I see you have a handheld shell holder setup that would probably eliminate all the problems I'm having.

Is that something that can be bought or did you custom make it?

Gonna resurrect this, I recently purchased the Lyman powered trimmer,but after using my fingers to push the brass against the hard ass springs and bushing a hundred times or more in a sitting ,I'm getting gnarly blisters even with gloves on.
    The trimmer does a decent job but goddamn it takes some force to push the brass in and make contact with the cutter.

I see you have a handheld shell holder setup that would probably eliminate all the problems I'm having.

Is that something that can be bought or did you custom make it?

I think the blue handle and shell holder is from K & M tool. I have a number of their products and they’re the cats ass.........

Last edited:
    Reactions: Pilotscrappy
    Yep, it's the K&M handle with case holder. Works like a champ as long as you slide the rim all the way into the shell holder.
    I set mine up where the opening is up so that gravity slides the case all the way in. 1/8 of a turn and it's locked into place.
    Trim away.
    You can even leave the case in the holder to chamfer and deburr.
    If you are doing flash holes and primer pockets, the case has to come out, of course.

Note: you will get more consistent trim length if you slightly rotate the case after the initial cut. It forces the case mouth to square up.

I used mine a few times before I figured out the most useable angle. Once I decided placement I mounted the trimmer and case prep station to a piece of Luan.

Not a great picture, but you get the idea.

20191104_145600.jpg

i just got mine a few days ago and got it all set up. trims consistent and works well.
    i was wondering tho of the guys that have them, is there any play in the unit where the threaded chrome screws into the black body? when i turn mine on i can hear the cutter contacting the inside of the silver threaded neck that comes out of the black body. when i run the case in to trim, it centers and trims correctly. i'm gonna contact lyman on this but i was wondering if yours are also doing this as it may be normal? i wouldnt think it would be tho.

contacted Lyman, office lady walked back and talked to R&D with me on the phone and verified that it’s normal. Told me it self centers when you apply pressure to the case while trimming. Said it is to allow for the case variance of different Calibers. So if yours seems a little wobbly. Lyman says it’s normal.

like I said. The Few cases I trimmed came out perfect. And the adjustment dial is spot on.