• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lyman Electronic Trigger Gauge Review

TheMoondog

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2020

Having a light and consistent trigger is essential to precision shooting therefore you need a reliable trigger gauge when adjusting or replacing a trigger. A few years ago Lyman introduced their electronic digital trigger gauge with a street price of around $50. I borrowed a Lyman from a friend to test my adjustments to my Ruger PR trigger and made this video of the experience.

I weighed a full Coke can with a calibrated precision scale and it weighed a consistent 13.14oz. I weighed the same can with the Lyman and I got an average reading of 13.5oz. So not exact but for my purposes in adjusting a rifle trigger, this is an acceptable margin of error. Do you think this is an acceptable margin of error for a gauge or do you using lead weights for your triggers like they do at NRA national matches?

I used the Lyman to test the trigger of my stock Ruger Precision Rimfire, which I had tuned down to its lightest setting. The Lyman gave me an average reading of of 2lbs 1.4oz. Oddly, the numbers would shift slightly higher if I pulled on the trigger exceptionally slowly? Has anybody else experienced this with the Lyman?

Lyman Trigger Gauge: https://amzn.to/3AiAs9z

It is not just the Lyman, if you change the angle, how quickly you pull, where the bar is on the trigger, it will change. Also, not all triggers are as repeatable as others. You can also get different readings depending on if the firearm is vertical or horizontal.

I've seen this with other scales as well.

Also, if you shoot a video of checking the pull, you can see that the trigger releases 1 to 2 ounces lighter than what the weight will show, especially if it has a very short trigger stop. I always got about 2 to 3 ounces difference when pulling vertical compared to horizontal.

Reactions: TheMoondog